Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2016, 18:49   #106

Re: How good is the Rocna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
We previously sailed a lot in many places with a CQR and had good experiences with it except on coral which we only set in as a last resort. I wouldn't do it again with any gear. Not good for the coral nor peace of mind.

I just got a Rocna to replace the Bruce (which is widely popular) when it wouldn't set in a grassy set of hard mud. I don't have much experience with it but like the way it is built.

I'm not aware of any anchor that can securely anchor in soft ooze mud (like the channel in front of La Paz, or off of La Cruz in Banderas Bay, or the muddy lagoon at Barre de Navidad, all in Mexico). Everyone drug (dragged?) in those at some time in some winds, with lots of different kinds of anchors.
Super Max. The ultimate mud shovel.I am 35 feet, 13K. On the bow I have a rocna and a Super Max. Both 35 pounds. My storm anchor is a 45 pound Mantus. Which can be broken down into 3 parts and easily stowed.
pdenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 19:06   #107

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
cool. Something I've finally come up ahead with

How do you tell if it's a genuine CQR? I was just going off the pictures when I googled anchor images. So far I've used it once and that was in tandum with my Rocna. I'm only guessing at the size. It might be similar weight, I'm not sure.
It's a genuine CQR if it lays on its side and drags.

Seriously, there are many who swear by them, but those same people are often the ones who say it takes skill to set an anchor. Seriously?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 19:53   #108

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Here's my rocna story. Have a 33 ft catamaran, probably 10k lbs. Came with a Lewmar delta. Dragged all over Galveston bay. So bad i wouldn't anchor overnight. Purchased a 15 kg rocna shortly after they came out, when still high price at $550. First set was in offatts bayou, which isn't know for great holding. It set so firm that my wife almost fell of the bow. That weekend we went ashore and a storm blew in, and we watched helplessly from the shore as the wind rotated the boat a full 360 degrees. When we got back onboard I checked the GPS and could not tell if the boat had moved any. Looked like the anchor either held or reset in its own length.

When the anchor was about three months old, I noticed several spots where galvanizing was coming off. Contacted rocna, and sent pictures. They asked how I otherwise liked the anchor. If happy with the way it set, they would replace it. If undecided, use it for another six months and then decide. If not happy then, would refund money. If decided to keep, would replace them. I used it for longer, and then they replaced it. That was probably 7-8 years ago. Anchor has still never dragged. Trust it completely. And the galvanizing on replacement anchor is still excellent.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 14:28   #109
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Iirc the ends of the tube are cut straight leaving a fairly sharp edge which would cause any coating (paint or galvanizing) to be thinner and wear or erode faster. Perhaps Rocna will fix it, but if not you can try Ospho and cold galvanizing spray.
I could spray it but they are so bloody expensive especially here in Thailand that I do think it should last more than 6 months ! Will contact them to see what they say !
The weld around the tube looks pretty good !
Old 07-06-2016, 14:31   #110
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
It's a genuine CQR if it lays on its side and drags.

Seriously, there are many who swear by them, but those same people are often the ones who say it takes skill to set an anchor. Seriously?
/\ /\ /\

This....
Old 07-06-2016, 15:11   #111

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
I could spray it but they are so bloody expensive especially here in Thailand that I do think it should last more than 6 months ! Will contact them to see what they say !
The weld around the tube looks pretty good !
They have a life time warranty. Give them a chance to rectify it. Very interested to hear how you go so if you could give us all feed back.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 16:26   #112

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

As good as the Rocna might be, doubt the majority of forum participants are willing to pay out the money. Meanwhile, haven't yet seen a small commercial fisherman use such, and I'm still holding with a claw as well as most all of my boating acquaintences.
Old 07-06-2016, 16:32   #113

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Hey Mark, you're slacking. We've become all too accustomed to pictures in your posts. :-)

Genuine Bruce is pretty pricey, too. Right?
Old 07-06-2016, 16:46   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Hey Mark, you're slacking. We've become all too accustomed to pictures in your posts. :-)

Genuine Bruce is pretty pricey, too. Right?

Satisfied with a Bruce knock-off.

(God bless this boat and its occupants.)
Old 07-06-2016, 16:58   #115

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

lol. I knew you had one to post. Excllent.
Old 07-06-2016, 17:04   #116

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
As good as the Rocna might be, doubt the majority of forum participants are willing to pay out the money. Meanwhile, haven't yet seen a small commercial fisherman use such, and I'm still holding with a claw as well as most all of my boating acquaintences.
I dunno, Mark. For folks out cruising, at least in the areas we travel, a great many HAVE opted for one of the new generation anchors. For folks who don't spend much time at anchor, far from home and in uncertain conditions, most any anchor will do, and they indeed may not choose to invest in a superior, if expensive, anchor. So, yeah, I don't doubt that most of your boating friends use Claws or other inexpensive hooks.

I suppose that literally, your statement is correct, for I suspect that the majority of CF participants either do not own a boat, or, if owners, don't spend very much time at anchor.

One way to look at it: the cost of a good anchor is far less than a year's premium for hull insurance. We've chosen to spend those dollars on things that will reduce the chance that we would need the hull coverage - have done so for years.

Jim
Old 07-06-2016, 17:09   #117

Jim, I sail in protected waters and the bottoms mostly consist of heavy mud.

Still, the few real cruisers I've met don't have Rocnas.

Rocnas are a rare sight here.

Closest thing to a Rocna on my dock:

Old 07-06-2016, 17:20   #118
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. One way to look at it: the cost of a good anchor is far less than a year's premium for hull insurance. We've chosen to spend those dollars on things that will reduce the chance that we would need the hull coverage - have done so for years.
Agree on the above..
In my early liveaboard days I could not afford insurance, got big anchors instead.
Before Rocnas and Spades so I bought quantity rather than quality.
66 lbs Bruce. Looked great and looked sturdy.
Later in life I learned that the Bruce has low holding power but set fast.
Confirmed by the Dashews and numerous anchor "holding tests"
(Long shot: If memory serves right a 45 lbs Bruce held at 1850 lbs and a similar size Delta held at 4,500 lbs in the same sand)
Old 07-06-2016, 17:22   #119

Boat: Catalina 470

The anchor discussion is always a tuffy, I'm fairly confident with my opinion in this area, as arrogant as that seems. I have a manson supreme but would also have a rocna or any of the new age anchors. Im at anchor most of the time, often deep and varying bottoms, haven't been in a marina since August last year. I say this very humbly (do not want to invite gods wrath) I've never dragged in 6 years with this anchor.
I have a good friend who's a very experienced sailor. He still uses a CQR, and defends them vigorously, this is despite several times while I was in the carribean with him I would dive on his anchor and see it sitting on its side.
It amazes me when I walk around marinas and see very expensive boats with very cheap anchors.
Until my experience changes there is no convincing me that anything but a manson, rocna or bugel is adequate on a cruising boat.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 17:33   #120

Can't see that an anchor relieves one from having insurance. If nothing else, what resources do you have to compensate others for possible damages you might cause?

Tags
rocna