Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 21:31   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hey guess what? we found a bucket. So Dawn used a rope and has been rinsing the dishes. So you have been somewhat of a good influence on us as well Darryl. I dunno, first getting me to anchor, then saving water, I am afraid of what next might be ;-) :-)
High Cotton, it depends on who's view you want to take as to what design it is. My Anchor is a mixture of some of thier measurements and some of my idea's.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 00:07   #17

Boat: Lotus 10.6

Those little white foot pumps you get at Burnsco are great for the salt water pump Alan. Paula rinses the dishes and we wash our hands under it without even thinking what we are doing. Also good for drowning the empty cans and bottles. (in deep water of cause)

I am going to tell a tale about Marauder. I am sure he still looks here occasionally. When they first got their boat Paula noticed them filling the empty wine and beer bottles to sink. She asked me "do they have a salt water tap?" I told her they didn't. They only carry 60lts of fresh water and were using it to drown bottles. A dozen beer bottles uses 4 litres add a couple of wine bottles (each day) and where did the water go? We then gave them heaps.

We still all laugh about it.
Old 07-01-2008, 00:30   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I have to say in support of the CQR users out there. Darryl uses a CQR and anchor beside me. He held just as well as I. I think the CQR is a fine anchor and I still carry one. Anchoring is all about how you use it.
I also must say that I did lose hold once. I was in deep water with all my chain out trying to touch the bottom. I had only 15ft of chain actually on the bottom and held for quite sometime. But eventually the blow of 30-40kt over came us and the anchor finaly let go. I doubt any anchor would have held in that scenario. An anchor is only as good as the ability to keep it on the bottom after all.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 00:48   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
What is normally used for wash down pumps by the way?
I used a FloJet Washdown Pump (Lusty & Blundell do Flojet in NZ) which is a multiport diaphragm pump. Not sure if ours is exactly the same as the current model but looks the same - the current model for 12v is 4325-143L the "L" meaning coming with a trigger nozzle and strainer as a kit. Does 17 l/min open flow, pressure switch control up to 40 psi.

I found ("found" only by good luck ) that I would not want anything less than that volume and pressure for removing mud off chain and anchor - it is really only just enough. They do a bigger one nearly twice the flow and twice the pressure but maybe then a centrigugal would be a better bet (but the multiport diaphragms can run dry).
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 00:50   #20

Another hint I found invaluable for anchoring on cruddy/scungy/smirtchy bottoms is to put a piece of plastic flooring in your anchor-locker as a strainer. We have this interlocking perforated PVC plastic flooring that people use on poorer-quality shower-floors (my YC, f'rinstance!), and it cuts to size with a jigsaw. I had a particularly nasty experience when a small sponge decided to lodge in the weephole halfway across the Atlantic. We discovered we were giving about 1.5t of Atlantic Ocean a free ride! Subsequently fitted Nastythene or Junk-oleum floor-tile as standard, and problem stopped!
Splash Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor