Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 06:06   #1

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
Dynex Dux as Anchor Rode?

has anyone thought of using Dynex Dux as an anchor rode? I read a post that states that big fishing boats use Dynex Dux to replace their 50 ton haul lines with great weight savings...so if 200' of 3/8 chain weighs 300#,switching to the Dynex Dux would only weigh 1/9th of that ...just food for thought .....Ed
Old 07-09-2009, 06:12   #2

It will work just fine but there are a couple considerations:

Because Dux is so light, it won't lay on the bottom as nicely as say, chain.

Because Dux doesn't stretch like, say, nylon, it doesn't have the elastic properties that one really does want in an anchor line.

So, yes, it will work, but no, it's not really a good application for the technology.

Now, as to shrouds and rigging, Dux is the sh!t. I've had Dux shrouds made by Précourt for about six years now and I'm absolutely happy.
tami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:44   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
One of the main reasons for using chain for at least part of your anchor rode is that it won't chafe through if it ends up rubbing against a rock or a piece of coral or anything abrasive.
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:52   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
An ideal anchor rode might have 6 principle characteristics:
1. Strength
2. Chafe resistance
3. Deployed Weight
4. Handling & Stored Lightness
5. Elasticity
6. Modest cost
(obviously, features 3 & 4 are mutually exclusive)

The two conventional rode materials, chain & nylon, each have 3 differing principle attributes:
Chain is strong, chafe resistant & heavy; whereas Nylon is strong, light-weight, and elastic. Both are relatively inexpensive, and easy to work with (fasten).

Dynex Dux has none of these desirable attributes, and is expensive, and difficult to work with.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:15   #5

Boat: a sailing boat
I agree with the chain / chain and chain / nylon politics. If Dynex is this strong then it may just as well be that you will end up with grossly 'too strong' a rode or that the Dynex will be too small dia to handle comfortably. And that Dynex how does it work with the winch?

Also, I try to use max chain and avoid nylon (we use multiplait polyester).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:22   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutgone View Post
has anyone thought of using Dynex Dux as an anchor rode? I read a post that states that big fishing boats use Dynex Dux to replace their 50 ton haul lines with great weight savings...so if 200' of 3/8 chain weighs 300#,switching to the Dynex Dux would only weigh 1/9th of that ...just food for thought .....Ed
I wouldn't even consider Dynex but I am switching over to Nylon Brait. The big problem I've found with three strand is when hauling in the anchor rode with chain attached (I use 60 ft. of chain) the chain gets twisted so much that it starts to bind up in the gypsy. And the more times you anchor the worse it gets.

I had an emergency situation just recently where I had to let go the anchor and the chain was twisted so bad in the locker it wouldn't run free. It almost cost me my mast. A short chain (15') may have not been so bad but I prefer the security of lots of chain.

I would prefer all chain but the design of my boat would cause it to nose dive into the swells with the weight.

The Dynex line was really designed for 'under load' applications and not to lay loose shifting around on non-smooth surfaces. It snags easily when slack and can fray if caught up on sharp objects like coral and barnacles.

Even the nylon rode has that problem. That's one reason for using 60' of chain. I lay it all out on the bottom and then bring the chain end up just enough to keep the nylon off the bottom. 'Scope' is for reference and not necessarily "carved in stone".

In heavy weather I'll either add more chain (that I keep in bags low amidship) or I'll add a kellet that I can slide down the nylon to the chain.

Tags
anchor, rode