Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 11:51   #1

Anchor Rode with Windlass

Hello All

I am being told by my dealer that I must use a specific Lewmar premium 3- strand medium lay nylon rope or Lewmar 8-Plaited Nylon anchor rode for my Lemar windlass. I have priced out a Proset double braided nylon. The price from the retail chandlery is about a 1/4 of the price on sale $1.40 per foot compared to the dealer who has quoted $5.40 per foot.
Am I missing something? Could the double braided have less strands? Can you use double braided as long as it is the same size? Lastly is this common that you must use the exact rope that the manufacturer of the windlass tells you to or is this B.S.

Thanks For anyones help in Advance
sauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 13:15   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Methinks that your BS detector is working well.

Double-Braid is typically "stiffer" than either 3-Strand or plait.
My guess is that you could safely substitute any quality 3-Strand or Plait for the Lewmar supplied (actually DEALER endorsed & SUPPLIED) product.

You might, serendipitously, even end up with exactly the same product.
Hint: "Pro Set" is made by Sampson.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 13:34   #3
Eternal Member

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

the ease of splicing

Hello,

Three parameters (at least) are important:

The breaking (or the working) load – as long as the two ropes have nearly the same working load, you can use any of them.

Elasticity of the rope, - Elasticity is a very important point for a mooring rode, as it allows to reduce the peaks of load given by the surge of the boat and/or the waves. Chain, doesn’t have elasticity, elasticity will be given by the rope. Nylon is the one which give the highest elasticity. But unfortunately, elasticity coefficient is seldom given by the manufacturers. Three strands rope has a good elasticity coefficient and (I believe) better than double braided Nylon.

Last point: the ease of splicing – To connect the rope to the chain, you may use:
- a thimbled eye splice – this type of splice doesn’t reduce the strength of the rope but can be difficult to go through the windlass gypsy
- A « back splice » trough the last link of the chain – I don’t like too much this solution as for small diameter rope, it could reduce the strength of the rope by up to 25%
- An elongated splice through the chain links

As for this last point, three strands or eight strands ropes are easier to splice.
Old 06-11-2008, 14:12   #4

Check Your Owner's Manual

They are available on line. Take the VM-700 for example. It says you need 1/2" medium lay 3 strand or plaited. It doesn't say you need to buy premium Lewmar versions of this rope from this dealer at $5 a foot. This is standard rode from the big bucket at any chandlery. Don't fall for the BS. (And don't use double braid)
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 14:21   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauve View Post
Hello All

I am being told by my dealer that I must use a specific Lewmar premium 3- strand medium lay nylon rope or Lewmar 8-Plaited Nylon anchor rode for my Lemar windlass. I have priced out a Proset double braided nylon....
Understand this well:
Lewmar doesn't make rope, nor, as far as I know, do they prescribe any particular manufacturer's product.
Sampson makes 'Pro-Set'.
Your dealer is scamming you - - Lewmar couldn't care less who makes or sells your rode. They just want you to use a medium lay rope - not a "stiff" cable.
Your dealer is Bullshitting you.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 15:17   #6

Thanks for the Info

Thanks to all of you who replied. I have been a member since sept. I have only posted two threads on this site and am thrilled with the responses. What a great way for a less experienced person to get knowledge from those who share it. I have been reading some of the topics and am getting hooked on the knowledge base.

Thanks again
sauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 22:32   #7
Marine Service Provider

BS ALERT and a BIG BS ALERT it is.

There is absolutely no way you HAVE to use 'Lewmar' rope, what a complete crock of excrement. The word that can only apply to this is 'Up-sell', actually 2 words, the other being ********.

And experience has shown Lewmars to be very hut and miss on 8 braid, mostly miss.

A bit part of my job is getting anchor winches to work properly.

Use a Samson Pro-set or the New England Ropes version and you will be using 'Lewmar' rope.
You catch my drift here

Just be a bit careful doing all that reading here sauve. You may actually learn lots of truths and the big companies marketing departments won't like that
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rode