Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 04:49   #1

Boat: Ocean Cruising 40 - SHINING STAR
Does the Delta Break-Out and Reset ?

After 30 years of using a 45lb CQR, I replaced it with a 55lb Delta. Delta seems to be all-round better, with one possible exception. During the last year, there were three occasions when wind strongly and completely changed direction. According to my GPS anchor alarm, the Delta (with 7to1 scope) changed position by about 20 feet. This change in anchor position has never occured using the CQR. Did the Delta break out and reset? If so, is this a case for staying with the knuckled CQR?
Bob Jennette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:52   #2
Marine Service Provider

The Delta is a far better anchor than the CQR in all respects.
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:24   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Having had problems anchoring a previous boat with a CQR, one of the first jobs on April Lass was to replace the chain which after 19 years had gone rusty. At the same time I swopped out the 15lb CQR for a 10 kg Delta. Comparing the 2 alongside each other the Delta has a much larger blade area even taking into account its one size up. A Rocna would have been nice, but the budget didn't stretch that far. We tend to choose quiet locations to anchor so we haven't dragged, even with a change of tide. Without a marker bouy I don't know how far the Delta moves, certainly not far.

No way would I go back to the CQR. The Delta self stows too, since its small enough to lift by hand a quick twist on the chain and it lines up with the bow roller during the final pull.

Agree with Craig, the Delta is a good, sensibly priced anchor.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:02   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jennette View Post
After 30 years of using a 45lb CQR, I replaced it with a 55lb Delta. Delta seems to be all-round better, with one possible exception. During the last year, there were three occasions when wind strongly and completely changed direction. According to my GPS anchor alarm, the Delta (with 7to1 scope) changed position by about 20 feet. This change in anchor position has never occured using the CQR. Did the Delta break out and reset? If so, is this a case for staying with the knuckled CQR?
20' is well withing the error bar on GPS plus the uncertainty in the original location plus the uncertainty in the final location, so I think the information is not meaningful. If you want to see what an anchor does, you will need to get wet. The rest is only guesswork.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:12   #5

Boat: '88 Passport 41' Magic Moments
Retired our CQR for a delta. CQR has never been out of bilge since....16 yrs ago.
A
Dynamo1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:25   #6

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
used the CQR for trading material

I originally had a CQR on the boat when I got it but never really used it except for a couple of times it got throwed out back in a small river channel. I opted to start with a nice Manson supreme. Ended up using the CQR to trade for 40 gals of (well actually 150 liters) of diesel. Best trade I ever made.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Having had problems anchoring a previous boat with a CQR, one of the first jobs on April Lass was to replace the chain which after 19 years had gone rusty. At the same time I swopped out the 15lb CQR for a 10 kg Delta. Comparing the 2 alongside each other the Delta has a much larger blade area even taking into account its one size up. A Rocna would have been nice, but the budget didn't stretch that far. We tend to choose quiet locations to anchor so we haven't dragged, even with a change of tide. Without a marker bouy I don't know how far the Delta moves, certainly not far.

No way would I go back to the CQR. The Delta self stows too, since its small enough to lift by hand a quick twist on the chain and it lines up with the bow roller during the final pull.

Agree with Craig, the Delta is a good, sensibly priced anchor.

Pete
Pete, good to hear you are happy with your Delta 22 pounder (that's what 10 kg is, right?). I just bought an Elite 32, very similar to your Moody 31 and was undecided between the Delta 22 and 35. Maybe use the 35 as a storm anchor, and the 22 as my primary?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:16   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
Pete, good to hear you are happy with your Delta 22 pounder (that's what 10 kg is, right?). I just bought an Elite 32, very similar to your Moody 31 and was undecided between the Delta 22 and 35. Maybe use the 35 as a storm anchor, and the 22 as my primary?
For a $60 difference, I would go with the 35 as a primary.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:34   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
Speedoo yes more than happy. Decided on the 22lb (10 kg) size because we don't plan on anchoring anywhere that doesn't have calm conditions and without too much tide running either. Nor do we need to, with lots of marinas on the channel coasts and a sensible sized yacht, we can always squeeze in somewhere. I have watched the expression on harbourmasters faces when late in the afternoon someone turns up to an already full marina with 45-50 feet of yacht. Us? we just get told to raft alongside someone or in a little corner spot no one else can get into

So it's sandy bays out of the wind and tide for us especially with a 4ft draft. The 22lb Delta with 100 feet of 3/8th chain can therefore be pulled up by hand rather than needing the winch, so much quicker to get underway and not risk drifting back onto the shore or another yacht when you only have half the chain in. If there is tide running Viv drives the yacht up to the anchor but otherwise its all by hand.

The next larger option would be 16kg or 35 lbs but thats starting to get into winch country, so 22 lbs for a working anchor is fine for us. However we back it up with a big FX23 just incase. If / when we do go cruising and the plan is to keep the Moody 31, then we may change up to the 15kg Rocna as we will be out of our normal cruising area.

BTW, yes your Elite is almost identical in size and layout, nice choice

Pete
Old 12-07-2010, 08:51   #10

3/8" chain on a 22lb anchor? That is a bit of a mismatch, albeit a mismatch in the good direction. I would go with the 35lb on 5/6" chain. You would end up with a 50lb lighter system also.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:16   #11

Thanks, Pete and Mark. Yes, I know the 35 pounder makes more sense as a primary, because I don't expect to be able to always anchor in calm conditions, but there is presently no windlass. I may install a manual Seatiger that I just acquired later on but for now I want to do the hauling by hand.

Let me see what I have for a rode, and I'll decide with that in mind.

Pete, yes, my Elite is practically a twin of your Moody, but I prefer your layout with the head aft of the nav station. I'll just have to get used to the head being right aft of my galley, I guess, but I would never design it that way!
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:49   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
3/8" chain on a 22lb anchor? That is a bit of a mismatch, albeit a mismatch in the good direction. I would go with the 35lb on 5/6" chain. You would end up with a 50lb lighter system also.
Mark
Mark, it's probably why we don't drag the new chain was matched to the existing Simpson lawrence horizontal manual winch and since they aren't made anymore replacing the gypsy wasn't an option. BTW, my mistake its actually 8mm so nearer 5/16".

Weather its worth choosing the larger 35lb anchors is probably debatable and probably depends on the individuals cruising area.

Speedoo your other option would be a lunchtime hook like a FX 11 or 16 and a bucket of mixed rope chain, for use when its calm and the big boy on the bow when you really need to stay put. We carry our spare warp in just such a bucket. I can't remember the ratio but its 70m, so probably 20m of chain and 50m of 12 or 14mm rope.
Not a cheap option though, those FX are expensive this side of the pond so I was fortunate that a good buddy wanted to swop my FX11 with his FX23.

Some thoughts to ponder over, how much extra is the Rocna 15kg over the Delta?

Pete
Old 12-07-2010, 15:25   #13

Quote:
Weather its worth choosing the larger 35lb anchors is probably debatable and probably depends on the individuals cruising area.
Yes, I agree. I was just pointing out that there isn't really a price difference between the two.

Quote:
Some thoughts to ponder over, how much extra is the Rocna 15kg over the Delta?
In the States, Rocna is about double the price of Delta weight for weight. (and I must, for the first time in my life, use this: because I think I might have restarted an anchor war).

Nothing to see here people - move along.

Mark

Old 12-07-2010, 22:54   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
In the States, Rocna is about double the price of Delta weight for weight. (and I must, for the first time in my life, use this: because I think I might have restarted an anchor war). Mark
Did you just use the "R" word, now thats really torn it it will take days of work for the mods to bring this thread under control again

Same ratio this side of the pond too, 16kg Delta £160, Rocna 15kg £340 (about $1.5 to the £)

Pete

Tags
anchor, delta