Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2014, 22:22   #46

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Anchoring, Unmanned Boat Dragging -- What Would you Do?

Yup. When I asked why they didn't have the bitter end attached to anything, he said he wanted to be able to easily cast off the anchor if a storm came through. Also, I think it could be over looked when you first load the chain through the windlass. After that, you never see the end of the chain again until you take it out to regalvanize.

If I see anyone anchor with a CQR, I would expect all other kinds of issues too
Old 28-08-2014, 22:45   #47

Boat: Vagabond 42
Re: anchoring, unmanned boat dragging -- what would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
+1

I have done this quite a few times.

One of the boats would have been completely wrecked and another two would have been badly damaged. Who can stand by and watch this happen?

One of the owners saw the whole thing happen, but knew they could not reach their boat in time to stop it hitting the rocks. They said they got down on knees to pray I would do something when they saw me going out in my tender.

There was no way to start the engine or raise the anchor on this boat, which complicated things. If leaving the boat at anchor consider if it might not be safer to leave the key in the ignition. Also consider leaving your mobile phone number prominently displayed.

Good advice.
Old 28-08-2014, 22:45   #48

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2 2006

This was a really good read. As someone about to start cruising full time with my family I will say up front if anyone sees my boat dragging and save it you are exactly the type of person I hoped existed out there. I know here in California they are as rare as a Snow Leopard. That's a big reason for escaping from California and heading to see for a while. There are so many people wrapped up in their own "me" world here it will be nice to go meat some normal people who are not afraid to help.

If you need anything and see a Lagoon 410S2 named Traveller give me a call. I'll be glad to help out whatever it may be. I completely agree with the pay it forward philosophy.

Reading this thread has really helped me to have faith I am making the right decision. The majority of you would do something. I know I will after reading this. Being from Calif I'm expecting people to want me shot if I touch their boat. I'm happy to help and if that means taking care of someone else's boat I'm glad to do it.

Topics like this are good for newbies like me to help us to learn what to do and what expectations are. Thank you OP and everyone who replied.
onefastdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 22:51   #49

Boat: Vagabond 42
Re: anchoring, unmanned boat dragging -- what would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I think the easiest way to answer the original question is, what if it was your boat unattended, and what would you like other nearby boat owners to do?
Some might say keep off my boat or I'll sue! But personally I'd rather someone make their best effort to save and reanchor for me..

Everyone would like someone to save his/her boat, but anyone who cares about his/her boat is not going to leave it a second time after the anchor has dragged unless there is a dire situation. You(the savior) would be the guilty pawn in the insurance claim or lawsuit. I would have been all for helping until they came back only to leave again - EXCUSE ME. They left a boat that they knew was endangering other boats. They shouldn't be sailing.
Old 29-08-2014, 00:47   #50
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I agree Aquarian, the first incident is much different to the second. I'd be less inclined to do much more than call their cell phone in that case and I wouldn't expect another cruiser to do anymore for my yacht if I was so negligent. I think adding your own anchor is good advice, it would take about 1 minute to throw the fortress in the dink and attach it to a bow cleat. I think I'd definitely add a float or fender to the rhode though to make sure it's not lost if they cast it off..Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1409298439.462830.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	87310
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 01:03   #51

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you are in the habit of retrieving abandoned anchors, use one of them, don't risk your $$$$$ Fortress to save someone's boat who has not taken care with the anchoring of it.

Ann
Old 29-08-2014, 01:17   #52

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler

Though very slightly off topic the "My Anchor Watch" android app will send an SMS message to a nominated phone if the boat moves beyond a certain radius. It of course means leaving the phone with the app on the boat (and plugged in) but I have to say it seems a great idea.

I suspect other, similar, apps provide the same facility.

It doesn't stop the boat dragging but you might get back in time to save it.
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring