Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2007, 12:45   #1

Boat: Bayfield 40' Silent Running
Anchoring comfort

Anchoring trick kedging to the wave. There are some places that can be very uncomfortable when anchoring especially when the wind and wave are from different directions. Like Rum key in the Bahamas [rolly rum as it’s called]. I found taking an old halyard with a metal hook and hooking it into the anchor chain and bringing it back to my foresail wrench I could adjust the direction of the boat. Make sure that you have a good anchor set first. It is kind of amusing to see all the other boats copying me when they see how comfortable I am.
d0ug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2007, 23:28   #2

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Interesting set up for an anchor bridle. If it gets too rugh the hook falls off, NICE.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 06:55   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx
Interesting set up for an anchor bridle. If it gets too rugh the hook falls off, NICE.
In seven years of sailing I have not had it fail. If the wind gets to strong I simply walk the rope to the bow and retrieve it when I retrieve the anchor. I used two different types of hooks one a standard chain hook the other a sail reefing hook booth worked equally well.
Old 21-02-2007, 10:07   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Doug, We too have used this method many times including Rum Cay. Woke up the next morning and another half dozen boats had rigged up the same way. We have used it on the Pacific coast in open roadsteads and along the Atlantic coast behind the reefs of Mexico. Works like a champ and never failed. Lynx, when you get out and do some cruising you will find many of these suggestions that logically seem like they won't work, in fact work very well.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 17:37   #5

Here is a photo of the anchor system
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kedge.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	913  
Old 22-02-2007, 22:02   #6

Boat: now floating easy37
anchoring comfort =buy a cat
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 22:35   #7

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Thanks Chuck - I have tried this type of bridal with rode and a short chain. It did not work to well, the hook kept falling off and from what I have learned you need chain for the hook to work. I have tried the 90 degrees into the wind as well. Worked for a while but the Mac 26 is freeboard heavy and not much under and started to heel a lot into wind so I had to release it. This little boat swings more at anchor than any other 26 footer that I have seen. But I can anchor in 2 feet of water.

I do still have my hook and will be getting 150 of 1/4 chain. Casting off in early Nov for Bahamas, still have a lot to learn.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 07:22   #8

Lynx, This same set up will work with rode but you can't use a hook. Instead you use a double hitch or something along that line to attach the bridle line to the rode in place of the hook. And for sure this should not be used in high winds. In those cases the wind and seas are probably coming from the same direction and the boat will ride better bow to. It is best used when the swells coming in to the anchorage are on the beam and the wind is light to nothing. we have used this set up many times in the Bahamas including Rum Cay and Conception. Many new boats with high freeboard sail a lot at anchor and this can be a bit annoying for your neighbors. I suggest a riding sail or even sheeting your main boom well off to one side helps a bit. I have even seen small boats hang a large bucket with holes cut in the bottom and a very sturdy handle off the stern or the bow and it made quite a differance. You can even drop a anchor off the stern and let it drag on the bottom. Don't let out enough rode to have it set.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 23-02-2007, 07:29   #9

Gee Sean, no bias there

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 23-02-2007, 11:06   #10

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Another variation in tight anchorages where everyone has a stern hook out is to vary the attachment points of the bow or stern anchor depending on wind/swell. A snatch block makes it easy for nylon rode.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 15:51   #11
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
All great ideas ... of course, with a ketch, I can cock my mizzen, with mizzen reefed to the 2nd reef, and adjust how I take the swells. When I had my mizzen made, I had a 2nd reef point put in way the hell up (half again as far as the sail maker had it originally). It doesn't take much sail to be a steadying sail or to cock the boat to the swells.

But, I do like the anchor kedge idea, and have used it.

If you have a rope rode as an attachment point: 1) I don't think you have enough chain, and 2) use a rolling hitch to attach the kedge line to the anchor rode.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 16:06   #12

Boat: now floating easy37
Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat
anchoring comfort =buy a cat
sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier
Gee Sean, no bias there
i believe that my post is perfectly appropriate to the thread title
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 18:44   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier
Lynx, This same set up will work with rode but you can't use a hook. Instead you use a double hitch or something along that line to attach the bridle line to the rode in place of the hook. And for sure this should not be used in high winds. In those cases the wind and seas are probably coming from the same direction and the boat will ride better bow to. It is best used when the swells coming in to the anchorage are on the beam and the wind is light to nothing. we have used this set up many times in the Bahamas including Rum Cay and Conception. Many new boats with high freeboard sail a lot at anchor and this can be a bit annoying for your neighbors. I suggest a riding sail or even sheeting your main boom well off to one side helps a bit. I have even seen small boats hang a large bucket with holes cut in the bottom and a very sturdy handle off the stern or the bow and it made quite a differance. You can even drop a anchor off the stern and let it drag on the bottom. Don't let out enough rode to have it set.
Chuck,
How far down the chain do you tie the halyard? half way? does it matter what type of knot, as long as it is secure?
thanks
Kristie
sailor528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 21:04   #14

Kristie, If you are using chain a hook works best although we have done it with double hitch when we could not find the hook. You need a knot that will hold but can be released quickly if a problem occurs and you need to get the anchor up quickly. We attach the bridle just off the anchor roller, then let out the anchor rode with the end of the bridle around our primary winch at the cockpit. We let out the rode and crank on the winch until the boat is laying at the angle to the swells we want with no specific point of attachment to bridle in mind. Usually this puts the point where the bridle is attached to the rode just about midships and about 15 to 20 feet off the beam.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 23-02-2007, 21:10   #15

This technique is known as springing the rode.

Tags
anchor, anchoring