Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2015, 11:33   #31

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Re: Anchor Chain Question

+1 above. I have 70 meter of 8 MM G70 chain and a further 100 meter of rode. Works well for me.

I carry a 100 lb CQR with 20 meters of 8MM G70 plus a 100 meter of rode also located in the bow. Third anchor Danforth on the stern rail.

Hey Docks, I chose a 100 lb Ultra and I am 2 levels above the recommended. You are serious about anchoring
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 14:38   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
+1 above. I have 70 meter of 8 MM G70 chain and a further 100 meter of rode. Works well for me.

I carry a 100 lb CQR with 20 meters of 8MM G70 plus a 100 meter of rode also located in the bow. Third anchor Danforth on the stern rail.

Hey Docks, I chose a 100 lb Ultra and I am 2 levels above the recommended. You are serious about anchoring
Yes, well, I found the 121 pound Rocna hard to handle, not only because of its size, but because of its roll bar, and poor balance. I went down a size to the 100 pound Spade when I changed anchors. Your boat is similar in size and displacement to mine; I certainly do not consider 100 pounds to be oversized.

But the 100 pound Spade has been working well for us, in some often challenging conditions. I remember being anchored off Ushant for nearly a week in a strong gale with wind over 40 knots for days - in 100 feet of water (at high tide -- 45 foot range), so scope of only about 3:1. I would not have wanted to have a smaller or less capable anchor.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 15:25   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Off topic a bit, but DH, I've never experienced tidal ranges over about twenty feet, and that was a huge PITA. So, I was wondering what you do about dinghy placement when you must go ashore in such places with really enormous ranges? On a sloping beach type shore, there could be a mile or more of difference between high and low water shoreline, or if at a dock, dinghy lines would have to be seriously long at LW, and then the dink could become a nuisance to others at HW.

Not related to chain, but I'm curious!

Jim
Old 28-01-2015, 15:35   #34

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

I went with shackles. They have a 6,660 WLL which is 1200 pounds more than the chain. I got an extra so I can pull on one until it deforms and / or fails just to satisfy my curiosity as to their actual strength....fun times
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 15:36   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Off topic a bit, but DH, I've never experienced tidal ranges over about twenty feet, and that was a huge PITA. So, I was wondering what you do about dinghy placement when you must go ashore in such places with really enormous ranges? On a sloping beach type shore, there could be a mile or more of difference between high and low water shoreline, or if at a dock, dinghy lines would have to be seriously long at LW, and then the dink could become a nuisance to others at HW.

Jim

The first year I had my boat, I did my first cross-channel to Cherbourg, and we then sailed around to an incredibly beautiful place on the East side of the Contenin Peninsula, St. Vaast, not far from the Normandy beaches. We anchored out in the bay under the ramparts of the magnificent Vauban fortress (I was a afraid to go through the locks into the pretty little port) and dinghied in, and we used to tie up to the steps along the sea wall where the fishermen tied up. I always tied the painter in accordance with where the tide was going, but one time, time got away from me a bit (the oysters were so delicious), and I came back to find the end of the painter tied up about 10' below the surface of the water! I didn't know what to do, but some local kids saw my predicament and dove to untie my painter for me

Yes, a big tidal range can be a major PITA for the dinghy, and the solution generally involves portaging the dinghy way up the foreshore, something not very easy with my 3.6 meter RIB with 25 horsepower motor.
Old 28-01-2015, 19:44   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Yes, well, I found the 121 pound Rocna hard to handle, not only because of its size, but because of its roll bar, and poor balance. I went down a size to the 100 pound Spade when I changed anchors. Your boat is similar in size and displacement to mine; I certainly do not consider 100 pounds to be oversized.

But the 100 pound Spade has been working well for us, in some often challenging conditions. I remember being anchored off Ushant for nearly a week in a strong gale with wind over 40 knots for days - in 100 feet of water (at high tide -- 45 foot range), so scope of only about 3:1. I would not have wanted to have a smaller or less capable anchor.
Whoa! Challenging conditions that... I like Rocna too. My choice of the Ultra was driven by effectiveness and RAF (row away factor) It looks the dog's b******s.

:-)
Old 29-01-2015, 15:02   #37

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
Sometimes, you just have to wait for the tide to come back... In fact, this is a good reason for having a dinghy I can carry alone, even when inflated (but without the engine).

Huge tides are part of the pleasure of sailing the Channel islands and N Brittany: it prevents the area from being overcrowded! And other cruising areas appear bland by comparison.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 15:20   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
. . . And other cruising areas appear bland by comparison. . .
Yes!! Brittany -- both North and South -- is magical. An endless wilderness of rocks, which you could spend a whole life exploring. With, as a bonus, some of the best food in the world!
Old 29-01-2015, 15:35   #39

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Has anyone heard of an well-cared-for / BBB or G4 chain parting?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:24   #40

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

whats the better style of shackle? round pin, screw pin or bolt nut pin?
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:30   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Has anyone heard of an well-cared-for / BBB or G4 chain parting?
I have not heard of any parting... but I have seen elongated links which provided a bar like length. Made it hard to handle

Tags
anchor