Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2016, 13:42   #1

Which rig is best for a dinghy?

So I got a fiberglass dinghy. It's small--about 7' with 4' beam. There's a post right at the bow, presumably for a mast, and whether or not that's what it's for, that's what I intend to put there. The question is: what rig do I want? I was thinking lug, but I'd love to hear arguments for other kinds of rigs with merits and demerits for each, ideally from people who actually have them and use them on tenders for voyaging boats.

In case it's relevant, I also have a 2hp outboard, which I nearly never use, and oars, which I presently always use (at least until you guys crack this rigging case wide open for me).

Thanks!

Edit: No daggerboard or keel of any kind
NewEnglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 15:05   #2

Boat: Vagabond 14
Re: Which rig is best for a dinghy?

I'm sure personal preference and mast location will have an effect....

You probably want something quick and easy to set up and on something small like your dingy I'd consider the basic Lateen rig as on a Sunfish. You can have that ready to go in a short time. Easy to operated too.

Daggerboard or keel allows better sailing across or into the wind. You can't make good progress tacking if you are getting blown sideways. This will be an issue with any sail rig. But its not all that hard to clamp on a side board.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 15:16   #3

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

I have a Cat boat rig.

Pros, it's very easy to rig and sail.

Cons, the helm gets overpowered in windy conditions. I also have oars, no engine.

I do have a dagger board and kick up rudder.

The boat is small enough to carry in my davits in fair weather.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 18:05   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

If the mast is far at the fore end, try a ket (Optimist, Laser, etc.).
If it is a bit more aft, try lateen, or one of the Breton designs.
If the mast is close to the trunk, it may be meant for a two sail combo.

All other things equal, simple is best. Low, square top sails seem to work very well on small dinghies, IMHO.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 18:18   #5

Boat: one off highlander 14 (fisher)

Ummm....Never had a big boat...but a standing lug cat rig is about as simple as it gets! If you haven't got a center board or dagger board, you can make lee board out of ply, and simply slide through a bracket affixed to the side of the boat. If you put it in the wrong spot, you can move it.

Look at he boards on some sailing canoes--simple light and pretty cheap.

Lateen is about as simple to sail, but you can set the lug loose footed and save a spar...
DinghyHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 19:20   #6

I cruised for years with a gunter/gaff rigged Dyer Dhow as my dinghy, and of which you should see many in New England. Boston Harbour is full of them in winter. The rigs store easily on the mother ship since the spars collapse together, and they are set up quickly using the forward mast step you have. Like most cat-type rigs there is some weather helm in a good breeze, but I think it's a great set-up for a dingy.

Edit: I am told it has been spelled "Boston Harbor" since you had a tea party that got out of hand.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 23:51   #7

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I used a boomless standing lug on a 8 footer, also with no centreboard or rudder. It worked well, I could even just make ground to windward in some conditions, and reaching and running worked very well. The spars all fitted just inside the dinghy so I could row easily and quickly switch to sailing if the wind suited.

The lug has short spars, for its sail area, and I find it better than a sprit rig, because with a halyard the sail can easily be dropped (or reefed), with the mast left up.

To go to windward the boat needs to be heeled to leeward. You can steer with bodyweight, shifting forward and heeling the dinghy to luff, and aft and upright to bear away. I used an oar as a sweep to tack or gybe, and also trailed off the normal rowing position like a leeboard/rudder for better control in some conditions.

The whole thing didnt sail anywhere near as well as a proper dinghy could, but it was great for exploring or long runs, as the rig was compact enough to not be in the way while rowing.

Ideally I think a batwing style rig would be great. Maximum sail area for short spars, it has a halyard, and is reefable. All big plusesin my experience.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-04-2016, 07:54   #8

I was leaning toward lug, as I said, but lateen has certainly caught my interest. How best to install a lee board or some way to go to windward while still keeping in mind this boat has to be easily assembled and dismantled on the water as the tender... hmm...
NewEnglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 08:05   #9

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I had a skiff for many years that I put a loose footed sprit sail rig on. This is a great dinghy rig. It can be reefed very quickly by just dropping the sprit. When you get to where you're going you can just fold the sprit up and lash the whole to the mast with the sheet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	431
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	122976  
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 08:16   #10

Hi New Englander,

I would suggest to have a look at the very nice, easy and simple system of Kayaksailer; this is an all in one sailrig which possibly will also fit on your dingy!

Egards,

Maver
Maver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 09:04   #11

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

While a sprit rig from an Opti or a lateen rig like a sunfish, will work, the more important question might be the leeboard and rudder setup. you will not get decent windward performance without those. If you get a rig together first, you can optimize the leeboard position with a simple foil C clamped to the gunwale to find the position that works. A leeboard with a foil shape will work better than a board with no shape to the leading and trailing edges. A shaped board 1'X2.5' would be good starting dimensions. Location probably a couple of feet aft of the mast as a starting point. good luck. Foufou
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 10:11   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

You do not need leeboards if the dinghy has any amount of keel. You simply sail it so that you do not let the sail stall and she will go upwind too. Boards help sure but are not a must.

If she is flat below then you want a board of sorts. The easiest way is thru a trunk. Some Dutch designs have simple boards that you drop on the lee side of the boat. This should be easy to adapt to any boat. I have seen plain inflatables sailed like this too.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....ght/EFK-55.gif

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 10:25   #13

Boat: Scout 30

We've also got the sliding gunter rig which works well for keeping the spars short. However, this rig usually includes a jib although it doesn't have to. It sounds like your mast may be kind of far forward for a balanced lug rig which is my favorite. I think Seasick's recommendation of the loose footed sprit rig probably makes the most sense.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 10:53   #14

Boat: Baltic 52

Take a quick look at the Walker Bay from (dare I say it) West Marine. Was given one some years ago, and fine that it sails just fine with that rig, and motors just fine with my Honda 2, and rows just fine for what it is.
phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 12:28   #15

Boat: one off highlander 14 (fisher)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
I was leaning toward lug, as I said, but lateen has certainly caught my interest. How best to install a lee board or some way to go to windward while still keeping in mind this boat has to be easily assembled and dismantled on the water as the tender... hmm...

Take a look at Selway fisher Design--they have some boats with one lee board, that fit in a pair of U shaped brackets--wood usually, and just pull out when not needed. a set on either side and you can switch the board from side to side. One bracket at the gunwale, and a bit lower down. Cheap and quick and it'll work.
DinghyHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy