Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: how many times a year does your outboard stop working?
Never 80 57.14%
1 time a year 26 18.57%
2 times a year 15 10.71%
3 times a year 2 1.43%
4 or more times a year 17 12.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010, 12:48   #46
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
probably to do with the oil in the sump.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:49   #47
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
Isn't it that you are not supposed to lay down 4 strokes because they have an oil sump?
You can lay them down, there is a sticker on one side to show you the side to lay it on
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 13:21   #48

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Talking Use French gas!

I have a 2.2hp 2-stroke Suzuki with carburettor and integral tank, which is now just 5 years old. It's very light (I carry it under one arm), other yachtsmen envy me but it is not sold any more in Europe.

In the beginning, I had trouble with the spark plug because I didn't run the engine hard enough. One year ago, the engine stopped because of clogging in the carb. After being cleaned with compressed air by a mechanic (once in 4 years), it runs fine again. Then, I must have it cleaned about once every 2 years, to be safe.

I buy gas (regular unleaded 95-octane) at the supermarket pump and I mix it with oil about once a year, without any noticeable trouble. Maybe French gas is top quality? At 1.2€/liter, it can be !

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 13:25   #49

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
yahama enduro in the states

I've owned a couple Yamahas. In my opinion, the best outboard out there. But I've only owned the 4 strokes and given a choice I'd pick the 2 stroke enduro everytime due to its great reputation.

The problem is this though: as I understand it, Yamaha is basically divided into two companies for the outboards, the US with its tighter emmisions controls and the rest of the world. I thought that 2 strokes are no longer legal to sell in the United States (and have been for a few years now). The local dealers know this and also know that any Yamaha enduro has been bought outside their US dealer network. I've heard that US dealers therefore don't need (perhaps can't?) honor any recent Yamaha enduro factory warranty as reimbursement for parts and service would actually be coming from Yamaha international.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
I bought a new 15 HP yamaha from these guys and they have them in stock

25hp and 15hp 2-stroke Yamaha Outboard Motors - Lightweight, Portable Outboards
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 13:29   #50

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
I agree about 2 stroke engines. My 15 hp Yamaha Enduro is reliable, relative light (I can carry it and lift out my dingy by myself although I usually pay a young guy $ 10.00 EC to do it) and speedy. Ihave been able to plane with 5 people in a 10ft RIB. At 100 to 1 oil mixture it does not smoke a lot.

Instead of aviation gas try premium fuel. In Ontario the highest premium fuel has no ethanol whereas regular has up to 10%. Maybe its the same in the US.
Old 05-01-2010, 13:35   #51

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
Schoonerdog: It looks like the 2 strokes on that website are old North American engines. There is no Enduro logo and the shift lever looks like it is in the wrong place.
Old 05-01-2010, 15:24   #52

Boat: Catalina 470
Apology accepted.

Fair winds.
John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 15:37   #53
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
demonic outboards I've vowed never again to own

Chrysler
Mercury
Suzuki
Evinrude
Nissan
Honda
Old 05-01-2010, 15:43   #54
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyehh View Post
Schoonerdog: It looks like the 2 strokes on that website are old North American engines. There is no Enduro logo and the shift lever looks like it is in the wrong place.
These engines are new , mine i bought last year its a 2008 model year- and there were 2009 s coming out about the time i bought mine-so there still being made-perhaps in limited numbers- its warrenty is honored in the usa-perhaps world wide- the shifter is in a great place up front , I think its better there after useing it-

1 pull and she starts every time weigh is 79 pounds
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:53   #55

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Folks, there are only two types of outboard engines, those that are not working, and those that will quit working soon. I have had a bunch of them, and while chemicals help, filters do not with the ethanol problem. Run all the gas out of the carb as mentioned before, and try to set up a weekly cranking schedule.

IMHO
fmastin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:58   #56

Boat: Riviera 35
To answer Ram, Solitude and all.

1. No, I don't tend to run it dry - I will try this, thanks.

2. I am told by the dealer, that it is a form of waxing on the jet, caused by the residue from the 'bio' aspect in the fuel. It dries when it's left a while, and just clogs stuff up.

3. Our local yard operator, has an identical engine on his skiff, which he leaves on the boat in all weathers, and when he stopped taking it off the boat, was no longer a problem. He says it's the typical outboard problem of not using it enough. He reckons the more you use an outboard, the longer it will last, and the more reliable it will be.
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:50   #57

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Seafoam question, how do you use it when starting it? Spray it in through the carborator air intake as your cranking it?
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:03   #58

Boat: Cascade
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
Seafoam question, how do you use it when starting it? Spray it in through the carborator air intake as your cranking it?
I have only mixed it with the gas or poured it into the carb before layup.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:58   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
The only problems I've had with my Yamaha High Thrust 8s have been owner induced, having to do with rigging the remote controls. They start on the first try now because I have a big fuel/water seperator/filter on each engine, and I burn up gas in the bowl before shutting them down. I try not to let a lot of gas sit in the tank, so that every drop that goes thru the engines is recent if not fresh.

At the beginning of the season I tested my dinghy motor before mounting it, and found a tablespoon full of gold jelly in the carburetor, from ethanol sitting in a plastic tank for two years. After dipping the carb parts in a carb cleaning can and running only fresh fuel, it too starts on the first pull and runs continuously.

I winterized my 8s rather quickly this fall, and will pull the carbs before the boat goes back in the water.

Believe me, I've had my share of engine failures, always at a bad time in the past. So if I do anything at all about the boat, I take care of these engines.

Here's a couple more tips I've been given for their care and feeding:

Separate the drive leg from the powerhead long before you first impeller wears out; it becomes a big deal to do after a few seasons.

Don't try to use the starter if the battery is low, the bendix may fail to engage or disengage causing damage to itself or the flywheel.

Change oil, grease and filters early; this is cheap insurance.

Don't use last year's gas. Sell it to the kid who mows lawns.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 13:05   #60

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I have two Tohatsu outboards, both 2-stroke. The 18 hp gets the fuel run out of the carb before it is stored, and has never failed to start. The 3.5 hp is the everyday use outboard, and I can't be bothered with running it dry. When I am running ethanol/gas mix, it usually fails to start about once every 2-3 months. The first step is to drain the carb bowl and try again, which usually cures the problem. When I pull the carb apart, I usually find water and some gunk in the bottom of the bowl.

The outboards run fine on Non-US gas, so my solution this year will be to fill 2 jerry jugs with gas before I return to the East Coast for the summer.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote