Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-01-2014, 01:57   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Reducing Dinghy Weight

I have an Avon 360 rib with a 25 horsepower remote-steered Mariner two stroke.

I like the remote steering, but the horsepower is overkill, as 95% of my dinghy use is puttering around harbors and rivers with speed limits. The occasional blast in open water, crossing the Solent, etc., is usually solo or two up, and so I don't need 25 hp even for that.

I cracked a davit last year and in general would like to reduce the loads and masses involved. A remote steered motor has to stay on the dink in the davits, so weight is even more important.

So I think about selling the excellent but elderly Mariner and buying a 15 hp Yamaha two stroke, which weighs 36 kilos versus 50 for the Mariner.

What do you guys think? I would consider even going to 10 hp, but they seem to weigh the same as 15 hp - apparently same block.

I realize that going to regular tiller steering would reduce weight even mire, and allow me to take the motor off, but I tank I am rather too attached to the wheel steering, which really makes dinghy trips a pleasure.

Another question is electric starting - I think I could live without this, which would save the mass of the batt; OTOH I could buy one of those very light LifePO batts sold for motorcycles and get almost the same weight.

Grateful for any tips.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote