Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2006, 14:51   #1

Boat: Coronado 27
Question for inflateable owners

Who has used regular bottompaint on ther inflateable,
who uses the special inflateable stuff
any need for the special inflateable bottom paint
-no money and a new can of reg bottom.
WaLiveaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 15:54   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Why bother? Just haul it up on the beach and clean the bottom once in a while.
Old 27-06-2006, 16:20   #3

I used to NOT paint. This is the second yr with inflatable antifouling paint. It seems to work fine. And in my "waters" LIS/ NE one had to do cleaning quite regularly. So far so good.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 08:33   #4

Those stinky horrible livaboards, There ruining the eelgrass!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco
Why bother? Just haul it up on the beach and clean the bottom once in a while.
Usually would except where im anchored at now the beach is bombarded by gazillion billion dollar holmes, all of which have hubble telescopes on there back decks scanning with outraged eyes for liveaboard behavior they don't agree with. Somehow they believe that scraping water life back into the water is detrimental to the enviroment. So in a time of war between liveaboards and home owners and city officials beach cleaning even a skiff is asking for a sherriff. I could maybe do it at night but i usually sleep sound at night. The skiff has been in the water 3 weeks and already has barnicle growth that reminds me of my face during puberty.

Sherriffs quote-
"What are your intentions in this bay"
answer- "My intentions were to sleep but you ruined that idea so what can I help you with"
Sherriff-"You can't live on your boat in the bay"
answer-"Go away"
He left
Old 28-06-2006, 10:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaLiveaboard
Who has used regular bottompaint on ther inflateable,
who uses the special inflateable stuff
any need for the special inflateable bottom paint
-no money and a new can of reg bottom.

Basically i want to know if regular bottom paint will hurt the inflateable.
Old 28-06-2006, 10:07   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
I have a RIB and use regular bottom paint. The paint is also used on the portion of the tubes that stay in the water, and I haven't had any issues with it or its performance. I believe the inflatable paint is somewhat flexible, which allows you to deflate the boat without the paint cracking or chipping. Since I never deflate the boat, this isn't an issue for me.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 10:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj
I have a RIB and use regular bottom paint. The paint is also used on the portion of the tubes that stay in the water, and I haven't had any issues with it or its performance. I believe the inflatable paint is somewhat flexible, which allows you to deflate the boat without the paint cracking or chipping. Since I never deflate the boat, this isn't an issue for me.

Mark
\
so you havent seen any reaction that weakens the tubes ?
Old 28-06-2006, 10:30   #8

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Mark,
Based on the fact that you have a Manta, I am assuming you are keeping your dinghy on davits. That said, how often do you paint the dinghy?
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 14:41   #9

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Nope, no reaction with the tubes (hypalon, if that matters). I would think the only reaction possible would be from the solvent in the paint, but that dries out in a matter of minutes after application.

Harriet, I am on a mooring, and the dingy stays in the water while we are off the boat during the week. It goes in the davits while we travel and at night when we are on the boat. So the bottom gets a thin coat every year.

BTW, nice shot in Cruising World!!!! If any of you have seen the latest issue, that is a picture of Harriet's Manta in the catamaran article.

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 15:08   #10
cruiser

WaLiveAboard: Love the name, love the picture. So where are you getting this kind of trouble with the fancy-pants folks ashore? What state?
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2006, 11:51   #11
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Talking

I haven't considered painting my inflatable - In fact, since Kai and Sundari gave it to me, I haven't even looked at it, let alone put air in it - certainly haven't painted it's bottom - I was led to believe that it was painted as much as it needed to be.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2006, 12:44   #12

Boat: Privilege 37
I'd certainly make sure of the type of bottom paint I used. Some paint types don't like to be out of water. I believe the preventitives become ineffective.

I pull my dinghy, way less issue on a host of fronts.

Keith
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2006, 17:02   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
OK ....Listen up! If you live in Southwest Florida, and you keep your dink in the water, you MUST have bottom paint on it! Remember, our water temps exceed 90 degrees.. you can have an inch of barnacles in 2 days!!!
Now ... as for what to use ... here's the trick!! Use Petit's Hydrocoat. There are other labels claiming to be "specialty" anti-fouling paints for inflatables ... it's all Hydrocoat that is re-labeled. Hydrocoat is water based (and as such poses no threat to glue joints .... the problem with solvent based paints on inflatables) and is "multi-seasonal" meaning it retains it's effectiveness even when it has dried completely ... just what ya need on the dink! .... and cheaper than buying it under the specialty labels.

Bob & Lynn
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 17:09   #14

Boat: currently "on the beach"
My question is once you have that inch of barnacles, how do you remove them without damaging the inflatable. Also, does it matter if it is Hypalon or PVC. I had read that bottom paint will not adhere to the Hypalon and also that Hypalon and the plastic bottom material used in the WalkerBay Genesis would resist barnacles attaching. Any first hand experience? We plan to upgrade for next season and our barnacle problem was so bad this year I now find I am most interested in best bottom material to prevent growth. Right now fiberglass seems logical (WestMarine 310 RIB) since I know it will accept antifouling paint. I do not have the time to beach and clean the bottom every 2 weeks - and that's what it apparently needed.

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2006, 18:18   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
As far as I know nothing rersists barnacles. It takes a highly toxic posion to even discourage them. As the water temperature increases the growth increases. So stay in cold water for the least growth.

If you have an inch of growth you waited way too long. In 2 weeks you are talking just a tiny bit of growth with slime. Not that hard to deal with.
The barnacles have more time than you do.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote