Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2015, 07:48   #61

Boat: 41' Morgan Classic
Re: Make-shift Dive rig for Bottom Cleaning

Possibly the most amusing posts I have read on this website. Thanks for brightening up my morning!
bytownboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 08:02   #62
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Some of the hookah companies I have reviewed basically use off the shelf oilless compressors - they don't actually build these things, they bundle off the shelf components into a package, add a cute young lady with great cleavage on their home page and make a profit.
ALL recreational-level hookahs are based on compressors that were designed to do something else. The choice the consumer has is whether or not to buy a hookah based on a Chinese-made POS, Home-Depot $99 special compressor or to buy one based on a high quality unit. I tend to be biased because I use my hookah every day to earn my living and need equipment that is durable and reliable. But a hookah based on cheap junk components can get you under the water safely as well.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 10:16   #63

Boat: Brent Swain design 36' steel sloop

google "DIY diving helmet"
sunbear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 10:23   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
There are no regulations concerning any aspect of hookah use.
No, but a darwin award to anyone who does it and does not know how.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 05:44   #65

Boat: Mashford Claris

you will probably die of shallow water blackout from co2 build up if you try any of the rebreathing methods a power snorkel or scuba tank would be the safe way but its your life just make sure someone on the boat knows resuscitation techniques.
takeabow40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 01:16   #66

Boat: Logan 33

Shallow water blackout is more from hyperventilating (more than say 2 deep breathes) before free diving (for scallops!) which lowers your blood pCO2 (partial pressure of carbon dioxide) As it is the increasing pCO2 that gives you the urge to breathe, you will have just delayed that urge, while at the same time using more oxygen. You will now have a low pO2. You will blackout from this lack of oxygen before feeling the urge to breath (from rising pCO2). Therefore you (may) drown.
On your DIY supply of air pulled down to say 2 metres. This will be now less in volume and also higher in pressure (equal to the surrounding water pressure). If you take a big breathe of this compressed air, and just maybe something goes wrong, and just maybe, because you haven't practised, you rush (or slowly, doesn't matter) to the surface, without opening your throat, your lungs will increase in volume by the ratio of air pressure at 2metres to pressure at sea level. As the pressure gradient is greatest in the first few metres, guess what, you may 'have a fatal incident'; your lungs will rupture. Seriously. It is apparently not hard to keep you throat closed against the increasing pressure from air in your lungs. Be careful.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
daveNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning