Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2015, 14:18   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Make-shift Dive rig for Bottom Cleaning

Putting your head into an upside down bucket is going to displace about half of the air available, take head out and next time there isn't enough air to take a decent next breath.

Is this boat at anchor? gently rolling in the waves, what happens to the bucket attached to the boat?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 14:24   #32

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Scrubbed my hull this weekend. Had a couple of tanks on board as well as BC's and regulators. Still did it all breath holding with only mask, fins, gloves, and weight belt. Was easier that way. Four or five scrapes per breath at the bottom of the keel, arm fatigue (bottom paint is all but gone) was kept in check by coming up for air.
Afterwards cracked a beer (at anchor even) and put meat on the grill.
Next day sailed a lot better and had a great weekend.

Keep it simple and don't kill yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 09:00   #33

Send a message via Skype™ to collgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
I've been holding my breath to clean the bottom and, well, the bottom doesn't stay clean that way. I've got some parts laying around and think I can make a safe mini dive bell like setup to allow easier bottom cleaning at low/no cost. I attached a schematic, but the idea is basically to take a 5 gal. bucket and sink it upside-down with my spare anchor. I would then have a line(s) cleated to the deck to keep the bucket at the proper depth, near my work area. I'd still hold my breath, but I wouldn't need to surface to get air, just go back to the bucket. I have a pump to supply air and do plan to add that for a fresh air supply.. but was wondering how many times you could take a breath off the 5 gal bucket if you were re-breathing your air, eliminating the pump. Comments, risks, other ideas?
Thanks,
Zach
2 air mattress or dinghy foot pumps pressed alternately, should give a steady air supply to 7 feet. connect it to a cheap full face mask and it should solve your problem. Of course, this means that there has to be someone on the boat rocking backwards and forwards.
collgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 09:11   #34

re-breathing your own air is dangerous and can lead to hypoxia and might lead you to passing out and drowning. since the bag is tied to the surface you will not lose it when it is empty and will also know that it is time to surface.
roberthowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 09:43   #35

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Electric hookah. Good investment. Safe.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 09:51   #36

Boat: Lots of boats.

Quote:
You wouldn't rig some "rube goldberg" apparatus for your boat. Why do it to your self?
I chuckled when I saw this. Unless you are independently wealthy "Rube Goldberg" solutions fill the boat !
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 09:51   #37

Boat: Luders 36
Make-shift Dive rig for Bottom Cleaning

I admit I only browsed this, but how the hell would you drag a 5gal bag full of air underwater? Ever tried to sink a beech ball. As to re breathing, I think the water pressure would stop that.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 10:39   #38

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

You can pick up used SCUBA gear pretty cheap. All you need is a tank, regulator, and a long hose to assemble a hooka like rig. So, why take the risk of jury rigging a potentially dangerous solution?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 10:42   #39

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
You can pick up used SCUBA gear pretty cheap. All you need is a tank, regulator, and a long hose to assemble a hooka like rig. So, why take the risk of jury rigging a potentially dangerous solution?
Not quite so simple, as holding ones breath coming up from 2 metres can rupture a lung.

Training will be required.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 11:03   #40

Boat: Islander 32, shoal draft, tall rig

I was scuba instructor for 34 years and serviced dive equipment and compressors.

All of the things mentioned here are really good answers. The hose to surface idea is correct that it will only work to about 3 ft. You can try it yourself cheaply by adding a bit of hose to a snorkel and lower yourself slowly taking a breath every 6 inches. Even 3 ft. is tough.

Then there is whats called tidal air. Breathing through any hose you inhale the same air that you just exhaled. Each breath has less oxygen in it and increased co2.

A scuba certification is lifetime and international. You do not need to buy equipment to dive. It can be rented in a lot of places solving storage and high cost of personal equipment and you wont need to refill your own tank. Just rent when you need to clean your hull. If you have your own tank it will be required to have a visual inspection every year and hydrostatic test every 4 years. All for a fee and wait times.

As far as hooka goes, you can use about any oil free compressor and oil free is the operative word. Scuba air is just normal air you are breathing now. Just compressed and filtered and moisture removed. The oil free is important because oil vapor inhaled will coat the inside of your lungs causing linphoid pneumonia. (forgive my spelling) and all it takes is 1 breath.

There are companies that make electric and fuel powered hooka systems both ac and dc powered. They are compact but again present a storage problem for a sailing cruiser. The pump itself is small but the hose and mouthpiece rig takes up a of of space. Dont use a garden hose. You need a hose that is certified for breathing air. Other hoses can give off harmfull vapors. Tiny but still there. Also, any compressor will absolutly need to be placed upwind from and combustion exchast or it will suck in and compress the gasses. Again, not good at all.

Many years ago when we still used double hose regulators, (read Sea Hunt), we had troubles with an algea or mold build ups inside the hoses. they would need to be removed and cleaned now and then.

I am a full time cruiser and am certified with more than 5,000 dives. Yes, actually more than that. I rent gear when I need to clean my hull, replace zinks, etc, etc. You will need to be certified to rent gear but you will not need to store or maintain anything.

Price and what is included varies tremendously for getting certified. You can get a complete course in Utila, Honduras for 99 bucks equipment included. As you cruise, look around for prices. Some places will require you to buy certain items from them only, as a way to help offset the cost of operations and equipment. Some will include everything for 1 price.

For my money, get certified and rent.
1oldbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 11:38   #41

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

If you are considering rebreathing from the bucket, or collapsible water container, DON'T.

The amount of CO2 in your blood may be unnoticeable until you simply black out. Check out the term, "shallow water blackout". You will likely be weighted since to struggle to remain submerged uses up much of the O2 in your blood, you may well fall unconscious and sink to the bottom while you slowly exhale the contents of your lungs, now mostly CO2 and nitrogen.

A hookah arrangement can be done with a battery or a small engine. You can make them off the shelf if you pay attention to the components. As fastbottoms said, you will quickly tire of trying to take the breaths from either a bucket or a collapsing water carrier.

In any event, make sure there is someone VERY nearby who has a hold of a line attached to your waist, to haul you up after you inhale the bay.
Old 15-09-2015, 11:52   #42

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajayne View Post
Not quite so simple, as holding ones breath coming up from 2 metres can rupture a lung.

Training will be required.
Assuming some commom sense...oh...never mind. : )
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 12:24   #43

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

expell your breath outside the bucket, and only inhale while in the bucket. That solves your "used air" problem.

Rather than bring air to the bottom, why not bring the bottom to the air....I mean "careen". Tie a halyard to a nearby dock to heel the boat way over. Then its easy to clean off the bottom, one side at a time of course.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 13:26   #44

Boat: Nicholson 40 DS

Okay - I was a submarine warfare officer in my youth and also a ships diver. My first instinct is to say NO - rebreathing your exhaled air in such a limited reservoir means you are in severe danger of suffering CO poisoning. I won't go into the whole theory of partial pressures etc (because I can't remember it that well) but be advised that your risk is not linear as you breath, it is exponential! You are far better advised to use your anchor line as a firm point to hold onto and dive using a snorkel - try connecting a hose to a snorkel and securing it in the fresh air.

If you want to use a diving bell arrangement then you MUST find a way to constantly replenish it with fresh air from the surface. Even at a couple of metres you will need something you can get your shoulders into in order to get your mouth above water - a dustbin rather than a bucket!

Please don't do anything stupid. Have fun, but stay safe!

Rick
Dolphin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 13:31   #45

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Assuming some commom sense...oh...never mind. : )

I am BSAC 1st class and SADS which is a British military Services air diving supervisor and have done 2500 plus dives and I never assume anything where diving is concerned.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning