Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2017, 11:58   #16

Re: Honda 2.3 Now Chinese Made

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
helpful hint--- if one seeks reliability , row. never fails.

I would add Rick Page's point about "not boating to the most beautiful coral in the world and then leaving acidic gasoline residue" from your outboard to kill off that same coral.

Putting words to action: I moved to rowing the dink 100% years back and just got a more efficient rowing dink. I need to sell off the Walker Bay and outboard. Will list under equipment section. Free FL delivery.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 21:04   #17

Boat: Casacde 36

I wouldn't worry too much about Chinese manufacture of a branded, joint venture product. I've worked over there, and seen several Japanese companies having all kinds of stuff made, that most westerners are clueless about, since the mid 1980's.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 21:25   #18

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the new Chinese made 2.3s? Any hint as to whether they are as well built and reliable as before the move? I know that in general Chinese made outboards have a poor reputation.
Are you for real? Do you think that Chinese that are stupid and can't assemble an engine !!!! I do't see any dumb Chinese in U.S. Most are damn smart and hang out in MIT, Yale, Princeton, Harvard, and Stanford. Certainly they don't flip burgers. LOL
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 08:18   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Are you for real? Do you think that Chinese that are stupid and can't assemble an engine !!!! I do't see any dumb Chinese in U.S. Most are damn smart and hang out in MIT, Yale, Princeton, Harvard, and Stanford. Certainly they don't flip burgers. LOL
Something akin to Japan being known for only cheap kids tin toys post WW II and look at them now. China is on the same track of moving from price point junk to quality products. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 08:21   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Chinese aren't inherently smarter or dumber, in the US we see elites that departed for academic reasons, but the rest of the population that works in factories aren't inherently better or worse than American or Japanese workers.

My experience is that out sourcing done wrong is usually the result of folks moving offshore and going cheap, and also being lazy and just assuming that the work previously done by their production quality control engineers is being replicated in China with no additional cost.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 02:18   #21

Boat: Lancer 44
Send a message via Skype™ to HNickN

It is now 2023. Does anyone now have worthwhile experience of the Chinese made Honda 2.5Hp? I need the lightest motor i can get - as long as it is reliable and durable. On weight alone, the Honda appears to shine. ny feedback would be greatly appreciated.
HNickN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 03:16   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNickN View Post
It is now 2023. Does anyone now have worthwhile experience of the Chinese made Honda 2.5Hp? I need the lightest motor i can get - as long as it is reliable and durable. On weight alone, the Honda appears to shine. ny feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry, ours is presumably a Japanese variant from 2007 and still doing sterling service. One handed lift on and off the yacht, very simple to clean the carb once a year. Sounds like a tractor, but air cooling means no pump or salt-water cooling in the block. Super little motor, hopefully they haven't changed the formula.

£600 in the UK, or other option for us would be an electric outboard at £1800. That's a pretty easy decision to make.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda