Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2013, 14:46   #16

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Folding Bike - looking for advice

Here is a nice briefcase bike.
Been using it for a month now and its amazing.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 16:50   #17

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Folding Bike - looking for advice

I'm an old fort too, and have used folders for years. My last was a Downtube with the 8spd SA hub. Great machine that felt very close to a fullsize bike. And all USA parts availability. I've heard a couple of sad Dahon parts stories. That said, there's many out there.

Suspensions for most of us just add weight and complexity but you certainly want gears. We are already built with personal suspensions, and you're riding on aircushions that are adjustable.

The folks who ride a multi-geared bike in a single speed aren't serious riders who need to cover some ground while hauling groceries. If you're not gonna use the technology, don't pay for it.

Life has hills and gulleys.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 17:01   #18

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I'm a big guy. And I like quality gear that holds up to the real world. Here's what I ride:
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 17:34   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

I love my Brompton; of course it fails the 'inexpensive' test by a long shot. That said the longer wheel base makes it ride more like a bike; never met someone who didn't love theirs...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 17:41   #20

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

If you like the little fold up bikes as I do the very first thing to do is go to a BMX shop and buy high pressure tires , tubes and a good pump. !00 psi Tires on a small fold up makes it work like a "Big" bike. or better. The 7 speed bikes are great. Use Eureaka "Film oil" as a lube as it is Lanolin based. (Farm stores, john Deer etc) and is magic stuff.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 19:30   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
I love my Brompton; of course it fails the 'inexpensive' test by a long shot. That said the longer wheel base makes it ride more like a bike; never met someone who didn't love theirs...
Our Bromptons are well appreciated as well. Not inexpensive by a long shot, but worth the price. If you ride one be ready for admiring crowds.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 21:33   #22

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

I bought one of these for my wife for X-mas (and one for me because it seemed logical to have two).

Not too bad of a bike for non-serious riding. Three speeds is fine for pedaling around. Coaster brake took a while to reacquaint with (how long has it been since you used a coaster brake?). Not a marine bike but should do o.k. as it has: Aluminum frame, wheels, etc. and stainless spokes.

Steve

Origin8 Bike F3 Folding 12 3S/Coaster Brake White
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69349.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	72774  
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 00:48   #23

I love my folding electric bike
d design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 04:07   #24

I have a Bike Friday. I love it and it folds into a hard suit case. But I just bought my wife an aluminum Giant folder for 475 . It's very nice and she loves it . It goes into a soft side luggage. We store them in the luggage with a liberal dose of spray lube. We don't pay for the bikes when we fly.
Also pick up a used folding kids trailer used off Craig's list., Burley is the best. We use that for provisioning, water, Diesel, parts and the dog. If you the stroller conversion with the trailer, you get a shopping cart AND dock cart all in one for 50 to 150 total price out the door. Typically these are lightly used, all aluminum and like new shape. Stay Away from cheaper brands. It's our truck!
flagorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 06:15   #25

I'd love to have a Brompton/Bike Friday but not enough to hump it back to the boat EVERY TIME. To lose it to a dock rat for a crack hit ... Oh my.

These are routinely ridden cross-countries.
Old 18-03-2014, 19:47   #26

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

We just purchased a pair of Tern bicycles Node D8. These are the 24" wheel sets. The Link model is the 20" wheel set and the stability difference is significant. Overall space consumed is about the same plus the 4" flight and long. The width is the same or close enough. The fatter tire and stability on gravel and riding is huge.

I rode 5 folders before making the decision. I rode the Node last and was sold in a heartbeat. The bikes sell for $750 and include fenders and a dingy bell plus the requisite reflectors. The frame is aluminum.

They make internal gear models but derailleurs are easy to keep and keeping the bike chain and cables lubed is not too hard.

They fold in 10 seconds, we can fit them and two of us and supplies in the dink, and they stow easy in the lazerette .
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 21:46   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Bike Friday. Ride like a full size bike, plenty of gears and suitcase trailer is a great piece of gear to haul largish/awkward stuff. Commuted to the boat for years and just used the bike get around.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 05:58   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If your a bicyclist and want a folding bike that rides like and is built to the same quality of your road bike, then there is only a Bike Friday. But as in all good things, they do not come cheap.
I've got two folders both Dahon one a Boardwalk and the other a Mariner. First there is almost nothing marine about the mariner or at least as far as I can find. But for their price they are good bikes, just nothing like a Bike Friday.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 07:02   #29

pirate Re: Folding Bike - looking for advice

Yep, ^^^^^. And the "marine" thing? Ha ha. Don't think for a minute stains less and aluminum don't corrode away.

This thread is dated but a previous poster has likely said what I think is key. If you are a serious rider, you will want a really good ride. If you cycled only occasionally before the boat, the cheaper Dahons/etc are OK.

You really do get used to the smaller wheel diameters. Granted, it will never feel like a beach cruiser, but it's OK.
Old 19-03-2014, 10:10   #30

My Two used Red Dahon 20" were great. single speed, no cables, foot brakes. I rode them all over from Ft Lauderdale to Trini. Cost? $35 each, Fold? 11 seconds. haha Even had real chrome plated fenders! Dont forget .. fenders are nice when it rains... or you get that brown stripe up your back!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote