Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2014, 15:16   #1

Boat: Corbin 39
Dinghy Rubrail

I wanted some kind of rubrail on my walkerbay 8. I like the fire hose covered rubber, but it was too costly and it gets groady with time. I looked into the walker bay inflatable kit, but it cost more than I paid for the dingy when it was new. I also thought it made the whole thing look kinda wide.

Then I found Easystow Fenders and saw they had made some sponsons for some small boats. I talked with Ted at Easystow Fenders and he was happy to work with me on a custom inflatable rubrail. For about a third of what the Walkerbay inflatable kit cost I got something I like better made out of some very heavy duty material. I'm so happy with how it turned out I thought I would share it, and put in a plug for the folks at Easystow Fenders. I definitely plane on getting a couple of inflatable fenders from them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Walkerbay1.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	78574   Click image for larger version

Name:	walkerbay2.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	78575  

toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:04   #2

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Looks good. how much did you pay for it? Do you know what its made out of? How is it attached? Thanks.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 14:59   #3

Re: Dinghy Rubrail

They have an inner bladder. The outer cover is Seaman Corporations' 40oz XR-Mariner fabric. Made in the US , XR-Mariner utilizes Dupont Elvaloy® (RIB Boat Fabric | Inflatable Boat Fabric | XR-Mariner by Seaman Corporation), a polymer recognized for it's long term weathering properties putting it on par with Hypalon. Developed exclusively for the inflatable boat market in lighter weights, the 40oz used is very tough with great puncture resistance.

They are mounted to plastic awning track from sailrite, that was fastened to the hull with about six machine screws.

They cost $230 for both sides.
Old 08-04-2014, 15:11   #4

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Thanks. One more question what diameter are the tubes
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 16:59   #5

I would say they are about 4 .5" to 5" in dia. They can make whatever you want, but you can't go to big or they won't fit the bend of the rail very well. I just went with what Ted recommended.
Old 08-04-2014, 17:15   #6

Cool. One thing I will offer for thought: The three points that usually ending banging the mothership as the tide changes, wavelets come, boats go by etc are the bow, and both aft corners. These are the areas you really need to do something with. The sides of the dink arent as big a deal.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 17:38   #7

Mine seems to do the most damage when alongside and I'm getting in or out. A least that's when I directly see it making marks on my hull, so that bothers me the most.

Tags
dinghy