Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2015, 08:34   #1

Boat: Beneteau 423
Re: Deck Wash are they worth putting in

We are on the a mooring. We don't have regular access to fresh water at a dock to wash down after a weekend. We have plenty of fresh water that otherwise gets stale if not used. Finding a place to refill once a month has not been a problem. So...

I set up a temporary freshwater source using the faucet in our forward head. I replaced the aerator with one that has threads for a hose. When we want freshwater to wash down the boat I run the hose out the hatch for the head. I have to be a bit careful of getting water back down in the head.

Pros -
Easy to do.
Uses water that otherwise goes stale
Provides freshwater to get the salt off to reduce corrosion, etc.

Cons -
Lower than ideal pressure but sufficient for most anchor mud
Have to be careful that the head doesn't get soaked during deck washdowns.
Requires a couple of trips up and down to hook up and turn on the faucet, then turn it off and let it drain out.

It has been great to have. It is motivating me to do something more permanent and easier to manage. Still debating fresh or salt. More pressure might result in using more of our fresh water than we would like. Also, we are planning a six month cruise to the Caribbean where fresh water is not so prevalent, or at least free.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 21:24   #2

Boat: Roberts 45
Re: Deck Wash are they worth putting in

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
We are on the a mooring. We don't have regular access to fresh water at a dock to wash down after a weekend. We have plenty of fresh water that otherwise gets stale if not used. Finding a place to refill once a month has not been a problem. So...

Pros -
Easy to do.
Uses water that otherwise goes stale
Provides freshwater to get the salt off to reduce corrosion, etc.
Water is going stale? Mine stays fine for months on end, I just add silver iodide when refilling the tanks. The drinking water also goes through a Britta in-line filter under the sink.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck