Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2007, 09:00   #1

Boat: Catalina 387 - Magical Dreamer
Avon Tender repair

I was able to get a good deal on an Avon tender ($500 for the tender and a 5 hp motor!!). The problem is that the rub rail, and other glued on "buttons" are starting to come loose.

What type of glue should I use to re-glue them. Also what can I use to remove the old registration numbers that were glued on?

THis is Hypathalon (sp) not PVC, so I have no idea what chemicals are ok or not.

Thanks for the help, I cannot beleive how lucky I was.
Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2007, 09:17   #2

Boat: N/M 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse View Post
The problem is that the rub rail, and other glued on "buttons" are starting to come loose.

What type of glue should I use to re-glue them. Also what can I use to remove the old registration numbers that were glued on?

THis is Hypathalon (sp) not PVC, so I have no idea what chemicals are ok or not.
You might try a web search for hypalon repair glue - that will turn up a lot of choices. And you're right, there are glues for hypalon as distinct from glues for PVC.

I've used one-part (Bostik) glues usually carried in the dinghy repair kit, it is ok. The two-part glues for hypalon are much better, though the two-part glue seems to have a relatively short shelf-life - I've been told 6 months in the can is all you can expect. The two part glues I've used are Clifton and Weaver - I preferred working with the Weaver product, though both do the trick.

If you're not sure where to get the glue, contact a life raft certification company or inflatable repair shop - they will tell you exactly what they prefer and you can get a tin of whatever it is they are using.

For application, it has worked out well to clean the area with acetone, abrade both surfaces with emery cloth to create a mechanical tooth in the materials, place the part onto the boat and outline it with pencil, remote the part and apply tape along the pencil line to mask-off the parts of the boat you do not want to get glue on. Then follow the glue's instructions.

- beetle
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2007, 17:50   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
SC2000 Conveyer belt glue (two part) is the best stuff I've ever used for dinghy repairs.
We took a can with us in 1993, used it a couple of times on our Avon 3.10 RIB. It worked great and the rest of it in the can didn't go bad like the West Marine stuff we'd used before.

The instructions basically say," Rough up the edges, apply glue to both pieces, clamp and let dry for 20 minutes and then return conveyer belt to service".

Good stuff.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2007, 18:19   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
PVC glue will work on Hypalon, Hypalon glue will work also, of course. WM sells both.
Old 22-10-2007, 18:27   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
PVC glue will not work on hypalon, and vice versa (in my experience). If you're in VA, then perhaps you can wait for a cool, dry day for the repairs. If not, get the boat inside where you can get the humidity down. It makes a world of difference.
Old 22-10-2007, 18:52   #6

The Clifton is interesting and I can get it at Defender. I would like to find out how much the Rema Tip Top SC 2000 goes for. I did a google search, but did not find anyone who sells it. Any sites you know of.
Old 23-10-2007, 04:36   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
As Beetle suggested, “you might try a web search for hypalon repair glue”(or hypalon adhesive).

Rema Tip-Top products are available from PRC Industrial Supply:
www.prcindustrial.com
PORTLAND
21 West Commercial Street.
Portland, Maine 04112
207-774-3993 Toll Free: 800-322-3100
Fax: 207-775-3351
keasler@prcindustrial.com
BANGOR
337 Perry Road
Bangor, Maine 04401
207-947-4772 Toll Free: 800-840-4411
Fax: 207-990-5865
prcbangor@gwi.net

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 10:22   #8

Thanks Gordon, I figured you would have that information. Thanks. I gave them a call.

Tags
avon