Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2011, 23:32   #1

Boat: Alden 54
Avon RIB

I've had an Avon 310 hypalon rib for 12 years. Time for a replacement. Any info on the future of Avon. I heard Zodiac bought them a while ago?
Mithrandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 06:11   #2

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Re: Avon RIB

Why are you considering replacing your RIB???

My Avon 310RIB is one of the best dinghies I have seen. Sure, there are larger dinghies, but I don't see them being better. Many of my friends are into their 2 & 3rd dinghy while I am still in my 1st.

Mine is 25 years old, has a built in bilge that keeps our feet dry which is unusual in today's dinghy products. This season, I had a small leak repaired and some other minor repairs done for a total cost of $175. Before the repairs, I had to repump it about every 3rd day. Now it has not been repumped all season.

But if you have your mind set on a new one, you really should not consider anything other than one made with hypalon. I doubt you will have any problem selling your current 310.

Another suggestion is to keep it covered.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 13:45   #3

Thanks good advice. We do have Hypalon and a cover. Unfortunately didn't by the cover right away. Its the best dinghy I've had and nothing I've seen matches it. I was just wondering if its true that Zodiac bought them and what effect it will have. We all remember Barient winches and their demise
Thanks again
Old 24-08-2011, 16:41   #4

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Zodaic did purchase Avon. To my knowledge, they still own them. Back to hypalon, even if you didn't cover it right away, I doubt that material has gone west. I didn't cover mine for at least the first 4 years or so. Later when I did purchase a cover (I wore out 3 cover), the covers left a large portion of the dinghy unprotected from the sun. About 3 -4 years ago, I got fed up and made my own cover. It is wearing like iron; it also covers the entire dinghy.

You should give more thought to purchasing a replacement.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 16:43   #5

Thanks appreciate the advice
Cheers
Old 08-09-2011, 12:28   #6

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad
Thumbs up Re: Avon RIB

my avon is15 yrs old and doesn't need a pump up but once/mo. about 10 yrs ago i started painting it w/ "liquid rubber", a product out of island inflatibles in west fla (west now sells it under their label) and it has kept those nasty uv rays off the skin and seals any tiny pinhole leaks it may get. i highly recommend this product---
defever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avon, rib