Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2015, 14:10   #16

Re: Bought Used Inflatable Dingy

[QUOTE=Splash of Lime;1910184]Hi, i bought a 8.6' inflatable from a used boat parts store and got a receipt. But it does not have a title and no numbers. I just put on one side the letters TENDER. I would only use it to get back and forth to town for supplies, is that ok. I mean is there anything else I need to do for C.G. or ? I do have a 8hp motor I could put on it but for now, just oars. Now I also sold them a 9' inflatable with lots of holes in it but I did not give them them the title which I still have. Maybe I could use that just in case it is ever needed? I also believe that when using a dingy you need life preservers for each person aboard, I guess at least one flair. Anything else?.

My understanding is that in CA any dinghy with an outboard motor has to be registered with the DMV. If you only row it, it doesn't have to be registered.

Any curious LEO is going to want to see the registration, not the title. You are going to have to go to the DMV, but I suspect they will want to see the dinghy and the vessel number. Is there one on display on a plate? Once registered, you get a sticker, a registration document which must be presented on demand to a LEO, and you must put numbers on the boat. Oh, and you'll get a title, maybe a duplicate one. Hope you've got the receipt showing you paid sales tax, or the DMV will want it paid again.

At this point you might decide that you won't bother with the outboard.

You should have signed the title over to the place you sold the other dinghy to. No, you can't use the title for a completely different vessel to register this one. It will have the wrong vessel number on it. I think a LEO might find that most unamusing.

I also strongly suggest that you look at the USCG website on minimum safety equipment.

I carry a copy of the registration, WEAR a lifejacket, have flares (sic), and carry a handheld VHF on my person. I usually have my cellphone in a waterproof bag.
Old 08-09-2015, 14:40   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1965 Cal 30
Re: Affixing rego numbers to inflatable

Go to anyone who makes vinyl letter signs and have them cut you a 24" long piece (2) of white vinyl and have them reverse out your numbers.

I've found that, after 40 years of using inflatables, this is hands down the best solution. On my last boat, the original numbers were still in place after 5 years.

Murph

S/V Amalia
Muskegon, MI
CaptainMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 16:46   #18
Marine Service Provider

I've taken on-board the idea (pardon the pun) of the vinyl paint and I'll do my research to see what types there are out there.

Black PVC... yep, I didn't think much about it at the time. This particular vessel came in white, navy blue, all red and black. It was AUD$900, it's 4.2 metres and came with two seats, under seat storage bag, front zipped storage bag, sun shade bimini thing with alloy frame, alloy floor with inflatable keel, anchor, repair kit and pump. Quite happy with it thus far although I've only used it once. I fitted a Mercury 25 and it goes like a rocket. Unlike my last inflatable, it doesn't "get onto the plane," it seems as though it's already on it, so virtually no wake is created at any speed.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 17:49   #19

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Exclamation Re: Affixing rego numbers to inflatable

"I think you will find the right white vinyl spray paint sold in chandleries for recoating life-rings and other marine goods, or else in an auto supply store as "bumper" paint, which has a plasticizer in it for the same reasons. Might have to compromise on the color to chase that down though."

Just something based on memory: White on black is somewhat down on the visibility list, while yellow on black is at or near the top. That said, I also have a vague recollection that some places (Oz included?) are very specific about the color of the numbers and the background they are placed on. I'd check the local requirements before acting at all.
buzzstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 18:35   #20

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

First up, the paint we used is sold in automotive shops as vinyl roof spray. Comes in an aerosol can and gives you a flexible finish with the same sheen as the tender.

The easiest way to do the stencil is go the the signwriter - most have a stencil cutter, and you just peel, stick, spray and peel off. We find the paint lasts as long as the tender.
If you want to save a few dollars, print on your home printer and cut out with a scalpel or craft knife, then either use the paper direct (don't saturate as the paint may soak through). or cut out of 'Contact' vinyl bench topping (I assume you can still get the stuff). Either way, done carefully, it looks perfect.
By the way, nice looking tender - very smart, but would be hard to sit on, on a sunny day would it not?
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 19:00   #21

Boat: 1985 Hershine 48' YachtFish
Send a message via AIM to Splash of Lime

Thanks. Yep I think rowing (if not too far away) would be good for me any way under the right conditions. I threw the part abut what to have on the dingy as I seen many people just hop in and take off. No life pres, no flares, no paper work, nothing. Thanks.
Splash of Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 19:06   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
By the way, nice looking tender - very smart, but would be hard to sit on, on a sunny day would it not?
I'll have to let you know on that one when the weather warms up! Coming out of winter down here. Worst case can sit on the alloy seats. I'm skeptical, it may not be that bad.

In all honesty it's too big for your average tender, you'd need a very large cat or to deck mount with crane an inflatable of this size. It's somewhere around 80kg's + 50kg's of engine + fuel and extras. But... being a solid build and larger size, it gives you the option to go much further and to explore more places in safety and speed at over 40mph if you need to. Payload is over 1 metric tonne. To be honest, it's probably over powered. I've only used it once however I reckon a 15-20hp would have done the job with 2-3 adults onboard. I've got a 30 on it which is the maximum.

You can still buy these in Aus for AUD$940 however shipping may be a tad on the expensive side.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inflatable