Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2015, 09:53   #16

re: 2 Cycle Outboard for Dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I think they're banned in Europe, or something I remember hearing how they were envious we in the US could still get them at all. I'm sure one of our European members will know.

I just bought one, for the reason of weight. My four stroke on my inflatable dignu was too heavy. I havent seen any new two strokes for sale, I'm sure the previous poster was right in that they aren't banned for manufacture but can't meet emissions standards.

The do seem to be slowly banning them from more and more bodies of water, and I'm not sure I'm opposed to that, so far it is mostly like, pristine mountain lakes.

They're probably best on big lakes like Michigan or salt water, because they do pollute a lot, but at the same time for a dinghy they have a lot of advantages.

How heavy was your 5? The four I just got is around forty pounds, less I think...35? I think that's great. You can step down again and get really light and four stroke four. 25 pound but only 2.5 hp. I don't think that's enough.

My friend has a 8 hp Optus that weighs under fifty pounds
Banned on sweet waters here in Portugal. There was a massive sale off in two stroke motors when the law was enforced.

Still legal on the coast but I have no idea if you can buy a new one.

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.
tchavei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 10:14   #17

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: 2 Cycle Outboard for Dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
not banned but why continue with the inconvenience of fuel mixing when 4 cycle is inexpensive and widely available? my 2.5 weighs under 40# , is very easy starting and runs well. as for storage, if not in the dinghy it lives on the back rail but when I have laid it flat I got zero oil spillage.

I prefer to add oil to gas rather than change the oil in an outboard!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 10:56   #18

Boat: Endeavour 42 CC Katash

I ran into the same problem trying to find a 15 hp 2 stroke for my sailboat dingy/sportboat. Weight of the 4 strokes was prohibitive. I checked ebay and found a 2 stroke Mercury from a guy in Rhode Island that rehabs older motors. You might try ebay. I was able to replace my older one with a "not so older one"
pwmullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 11:04   #19

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
not banned but why continue with the inconvenience of fuel mixing when 4 cycle is inexpensive and widely available? my 2.5 weighs under 40# , is very easy starting and runs well. as for storage, if not in the dinghy it lives on the back rail but when I have laid it flat I got zero oil spillage.

Because my 6hp weighs 35#, and since there is no oil, oil doesn't spill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 11:06   #20

Johnsons are reputed to be the lightest of the 2 strokes.

Old 29-09-2015, 11:42   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Here's the new VW diesel outboards that reportedly meet all emission standards:

Klaxon Diesel Outboards Features
Ha, ha! Do they use the same technique as their cars?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 11:50   #22

Boat: One Off Steel 12m Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
They are not banned in the UK but you cannot buy them new.
They do need to be stowed in a particular position as the gearbox oil can leak through otherwise.
Another advantage is the ability to repair just about anywhere as 2-strokes are so easy to work on. Go to just about any third world location and see what the locals prefer.
I think they can still be bought in the UK. I work from time to time on a tug and commercial vessels can still get 2 stroke outboards, we got a new one last year. I would have thought (but am not certain) that "coded" vessels (coding is required for chartering and commercial use of recreational boats) are in a similar position.

The law that made the change was the EU RCD directive.
rodrinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 11:52   #23

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I had heard Yanmar used to build a Diesel outboard, never heard of another, nor have I ever seen a Yanmar Diesel outboard, but have always wondered why no one built one.
Yes I know they would most likely be heavy, but for those that use outboards to push the big boat, I think they would want a Diesel?

Why did Yanmar stop, no sales?
They did, and maybe still do, but they were big heavy beasts (certainly nowhere near the weight range the OP is looking for). I've only seen them in military/SAR/industry applications.

A charter company I used to work with acquired a military surplus inflatable of about 20' with two big OB diesels on it to use as a chase boat. This thing was a beast, with a six point harness for the helm seat. It would take on any kind of rough weather (great fun!), but getting parts for the engines was very hard and insanely expensive, so they finally swapped them for normal gas OBs.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 11:55   #24

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Kivett View Post
I presently have an older 5 hp 2 cycle outboard that i have been using for my inflatable and because of the weight i have been looking for a replacement that is smaller and lighter for easy of handling.. I have just read from a review where one person said in there review of this motor that the EPA has a law now that outlaws new 2 cycle motors...does anyone know of such ruling..
I believe they're banned on some lakes in the US. I'm not aware of any existing 2 stroke bans generally.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 12:01   #25

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

You only have to lay a four stroke handle side down to not have problems. If 2.5 doesn't run your dink fast enough, get some excercise by rowing with it. Mine pushes my 10 foot Achilles at least four knots with no spray in my face. Some RV sailors motor like hell to reach the anchorage, then plane 15 or 20 knots through the anchorage. Very relaxing
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 12:03   #26

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Thank hard about going electric with small photo electric otherwise 4 cycle is the way to go.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 12:05   #27

Jreiter190,
I didn't mean to imply he needed a 6 hp. I just was saying my 6hp is only 35#. The 6 HP pushes my 3750# sailboat.

Old 29-09-2015, 17:05   #28

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailsout View Post
Can you get by with an electric 3 hp Torqeedo? I hear great things from owners. Light, quiet, no pollution.
Do a search on the Cruiser's Forum before you think about Torqeedo. You'll hear great things from new owners because that's what they chose to buy. From people that have used them for a length of time you might here differently.
Old 30-09-2015, 08:13   #29

Location: Rio Grande Valley of Texas, near Brownsville/South Padre Island
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461-rechristened Sweet Pea

We just traded our 4 stroke 4 HP Mercury for a Yamaha 8 hp 2 stroke. Main issue with the 4 hp/4 stroke was that ANY particles or issues with gasoline would cause major engine problems. I can't tell you how many times we were stranded because it wouldn't start. Even with non-ethinol fuel. Our mechanic said on the smaller motors the orifices were so small that anything at all would cause issues. He also said those motors have to be used regularly and we would only use ours once a week or so. The 2 stroke is a little heavier but it's a bigger motor and it starts on the first pull every time. We purchased it from a boat shop that had 4 of them still in the boxes. It's a 2007 model. They're still out there. Really wanted a 9.9 but it was significantly heavier. Best advice I ever got was to get the biggest motor you could handle cause you may need the power at some point.
mtm124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 08:34   #30

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm124 View Post
We just traded our 4 stroke 4 HP Mercury for a Yamaha 8 hp 2 stroke. Main issue with the 4 hp/4 stroke was that ANY particles or issues with gasoline would cause major engine problems. I can't tell you how many times we were stranded because it wouldn't start. Even with non-ethinol fuel. Our mechanic said on the smaller motors the orifices were so small that anything at all would cause issues. He also said those motors have to be used regularly and we would only use ours once a week or so. The 2 stroke is a little heavier but it's a bigger motor and it starts on the first pull every time. We purchased it from a boat shop that had 4 of them still in the boxes. It's a 2007 model. They're still out there. Really wanted a 9.9 but it was significantly heavier. Best advice I ever got was to get the biggest motor you could handle cause you may need the power at some point.
Can you give us the name of the boat shop & what you paid? That's a great motor.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, outboard