Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2014, 08:52   #1

Boat: Samsom C-Strutter 46 Ketch
What Self Tailing will fit in my Barlow 22 holes?

I got these Barlow AU Chrome 2 speeds winches and I'm ready for a self tailing upgrade. I'd love to use the same bolt pattern but I can't find a cross reference for sizes on the web.

Any help?

Both have 5 bolts through the deck in a 6 bolt pattern.
crunkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 09:02   #2

Re: What Self Tailing will fit in my Barlow 22 holes?

I just found this on the web...

Lewmar #40CST = Barlow #24 = Barient #22
Old 29-05-2014, 09:52   #3

If you're doing it right, you're going to overdrill the holes, epoxy them, then drill smaller holes, to seal the core. If you're doing that, it doesn't take much more effort to fill 11 holes than 6. Why eleven? Two of the holes will always line up...

Just make sure you use a stainless steel backing plate inside, and that it's large enough to cover your cosmetic sins.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 13:46   #4

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
If you're doing it right, you're going to overdrill the holes, epoxy them, then drill smaller holes, to seal the core. If you're doing that, it doesn't take much more effort to fill 11 holes than 6. Why eleven? Two of the holes will always line up...

Just make sure you use a stainless steel backing plate inside, and that it's large enough to cover your cosmetic sins.
Good advice. An aluminum plate would also serve and can be cut with power tools. Lines up (pun not intended) with my own practices. I wrote about this technique in terms of installing a new midships boarding ladder, but it's the same idea: The world encompassed: Reboarder patrol
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 13:43   #5

OK. So I'm prepared to drill and fill new holes. I wonder if there is a handy chart to see what gets the same job done across brands. I like my current size/gear ratio. Looking at Lewmar 30 Ocean or EVO? A used winch of any brand is fine if anyone a used 2 speed. 5.5" base. I'm happy to do a rebuild.
Old 29-05-2014, 09:53   #6

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

Lewmar is a great winch, but it's very unlikely that the baseplate will fit the same holes as your Barlow.

I just bought a Lewmar 46ST to replace my non-selftailing Barient 21 main halyard winch. I wanted a little larger winch, but mainly I wanted selftailing for the main halyard. But I didn't really want to have to change the wedge on the mast. So the rigging shop fabricated a 5/8" aluminum plate to act as an adapter between the winch and the wedge. They drilled and tapped the holes for the Lewmar and then I had a nearby machinist drill the holes in the adapter plate to match the old Barient baseplate. Then I attached the adapter plate to the wedge and then the Lewmar to the adapter plate.

The rigging shop was Port Townsend Rigging and I highly recommend them. VERY accommodating!
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 14:07   #7

http://www.lewmar.com/cms/assets/1/c...tion_guide.pdf
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 16:22   #8

Talk to Hutton Arco, they have a lot of the tooling for those winches and will probably know the stud pattern and what is compatible.
Tempo Spars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 18:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempo Spars View Post
Talk to Hutton Arco, they have a lot of the tooling for those winches and will probably know the stud pattern and what is compatible.
ditto
HUTTON-ARCO Yacht Winches

They will also do a self tailing conversion kit for barlow winches. You need to email for a quote.

Another possibility is to look for s/h self tailing winches and swap yours out. The changeover cost could be surprisingly small. I have recently bought some s/h barlow winches very cheaply, around $60 for a #20.

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
self tailing