Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2019, 14:18   #1

Boat: Spencer 30
Using a headsail downhaul

Hi all, I have a Spencer 30 and am keen to single hand. I've heard that a headsail downhaul can be useful in limiting time spent at the bow; advantageous in heavy weather. I don't have a headsail furler. What are other sailor's experiences using them - advantages and disadvantages? How are they set up?
Moncoeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 16:01   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Using a headsail downhaul

A downhaul can make dousing a headsail just a matter of pulling the sail down and hauling in the sheet so it lays on deck. If there is a lot of wind and waves are washing up on deck you still have to go forward and bag or gasket the sail as the loose part will wash/blow over the side. They also a really nice to have item if get caught with a too large sail up in high winds. The sail will try and climb back up the mast if you don't have some way to pull it down and keep the luff down. Don't run the line up inside the hanks though, the line will chafe through.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:06   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See ➥ Jib Downhaul Project

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:58   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

Similar set up to what I did many years ago and it worked well. Agree you eventually need to go forward to secure the sail. How quickly you needed to go forward depended on the conditions. After it was down, pulling the sheeting snug mostly kept it on deck.

To secure the sail, I preferred the sea sausage (long sail bag) that had tie down lines securing the bag to the stanchions or other spots on the deck vs trying to stuff the sail in a ready bag. Personal preference, each has its own merits.
The sea sausage is old school and you may need to look in older canvas project books to find how to make them.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 13:03   #5
gwy

Boat: Paceship32

Have used one many times and for many years before having boats with roller furling.

They are great and - it is a big AND. You need to be sure you have good piston hanks that do not bind, and where is your halyard going to be located? If you're doing everything from the cockpit these make sense, from the mast perhaps not so much. The Sleeve cover ( AKA, sausage cover) attached to the stanchions is really helpful. My schooner was triple headsailed; staysail, working jib, flying jig/yankee - the headsail haul downs made it quite easy. Head down to a close reach, harden the sheet half way, release the halyard and bring sail down with the down haul. The semi hardened sheet helps keep the head sail out of the water.

The whole set up works quite well as long as your hanks don't bind and while not roller furling, and the sleeve cover is "old school", it can be a great set up and much less money than a good furler.

gwy
gwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 15:12   #6

I assume this can only be done with a hank on sail.
korchinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 15:37   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by korchinsky View Post
I assume this can only be done with a hank on sail.
A sail with a luff tape (in a furler or foil) when pulled down with a downhaul will attempt to leave the vessel. The hanks keep the sail on the boat.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:11   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
A sail with a luff tape (in a furler or foil) when pulled down with a downhaul will attempt to leave the vessel. The hanks keep the sail on the boat.
That a good point👍🏻
Lippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 15:45   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I use a jib downhaul. Works great. Use line big enough to be comfy in your hand--5/16" minimum. My 1/4" is hard to grip at times, gotta upgrade when budget allows.
Old 10-02-2019, 16:03   #10

I used one on my 30 footer. It worked fairly well. I ran the line through the hanks. Head the boat up, pull sail down. You still have to go forward and secure the sail. In the end, i wasn't too sure it was worth it, but it does allow you to get the boat under better control before you go forward.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, sail