Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2017, 13:02   #1

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Used shrouds?

We replaced both main shrouds on our 36' trimaran as there was a small void in one of the ends, so now we have these and not sure what to do with them. Is there a market for good used shrouds?

Thanks!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 13:41   #2

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38
Re: Used shrouds?

Depending on diameter, they can be re-purposed into lifelines.
Old 29-01-2017, 13:55   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
Depending on diameter, they can be re-purposed into lifelines.
Hmmm; I'll look for somewhere appropriate to post them for sale. Hadn't thought of lifelines; we don't have them.

Thanks.
Old 29-01-2017, 14:08   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Realistically no. The only people that I know that will take them are scrap yards, and weird yard artists.

The idea of repurposing aged shrouds as lifelines... um no. They were replaced for lack of serviceability in a non-life critical application, why would you want to reuse them in one?

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 14:14   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Realistically no. The only people that I know that will take them are scrap yards, and weird yard artists.

The idea of repurposing aged shrouds as lifelines... um no. They were replaced for lack of serviceability in a non-life critical application, why would you want to reuse them in one?
Because they are likely MANY times stronger, even in a used state, than typical 3/16 inch lifeline wire. And being of larger diameter, are nicer to grab.

However, their fittings are usually too large to fit through the holes in stanchions, so some sort of new terminal is often required on at least one end, and that can raise the cost significantly.

We've seen this done very nicely on used wire that was fitted with mechanical terminals.

Jim
Old 29-01-2017, 14:44   #6

And for clarity, the shrouds are only a couple of years old and in excellent condition. The void is in the metal of the end fitting, and they believe it to be a manufacturing issue.
Old 29-01-2017, 15:09   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

I have all my old 11mm rigging currently lying on the dock, does seem like a waste , particularly as its probably ok.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 16:04   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

LeeV, and daletournier, another use for them is to convert them to jacklines, cut to desired length, re-terminate one end, secure all.

Ann
Old 01-02-2017, 06:33   #9

Boat: Pearson 34-II

The functionality of rigging wire is part science, part Black Magic. Age is relative to use and many replace standing rigging when there is no real reason to do so. For example, in the Great Lakes, rigging wire can be perfectly fine after 20 years of average usage while after 8-10 years in a saltwater environment, the wire has probably seen the end of its effective life. In this particular case, there is a structural flaw in the stranding(?) which, in my opinion, requires replacement as shrouds. However, I would agree with the Cates' that it could easily be repurposed for lifelines or jacklines ,without need for concern, unless badly rusted or degraded. Have you ever cut stainless wire with a hack saw? The proof is in the pudding. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:49   #10

Boat: Heritage 35

When I re rigged after 20 some years I reused the fore stay back stay and upper shrouds as my lower shrouds. Wire tends to go at the terminals not in the centre. Did a crossing everything has held together for another 6 years with no signs of deterioration. So short answer it can be reused.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:02   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
When I re rigged after 20 some years I reused the fore stay back stay and upper shrouds as my lower shrouds. Wire tends to go at the terminals not in the centre. Did a crossing everything has held together for another 6 years with no signs of deterioration. So short answer it can be reused.
Rodger that. It is usually the end fittings and the wire junctions at the fittings that give up the ghost not the wire itself (absent meat hooks). As noted, longer lengths of wire can be cut down and used where shorter lengths are needed.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:56   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The end fittings or at the junction of the wire with the end fittings that are almost always the reason for replacing rigging. Wouldn't want to use replaced wire for standing just because but it has other uses like lifelines. Finding a buyer for the wire is another story.

Made the lifelines for our W32 out of 1/4" wire salvaged from the scrap bin at a boat yard. Inspected the wire for broken strands or corrosion and used Norseman Terminals. It worked fine as the boat made 3 trips to SoPac over 30 years without a problem. Think the present owner finally swapped it out for vinyl coated wire just for the looks. !/4" wire is so overstrength for lifelines that even multiple broken strands wouldn't degrade it's ability to stand up to lifeline loads.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:22   #13

Boat: Pearson 34-II

" !/4" wire is so overstrength for lifelines that even multiple broken strands wouldn't degrade it's ability to stand up to lifeline loads." roverhi

As a testament to this, my lifelines are 27 years old. After 15 years in saltwater, I removed the vinyl casing and re-cut the ends at the terminal conncetions. They were practically new. In doing so, however, I nicked a few strands along its length which developed into very small "meathooks." Twice a year, I treat the entire length of my lifelines with PB Blaster or Corrosion Block(spraying into the strands),scrub with a stainless wire detail brush and wipe with a lint free cloth. There has been no degradation of the wire and it is, for all practical purposes, like new. Also, I have been monitoring a small meathook on my pedestal steering cable since 1995 which has not worsened and has tens of thousands of miles since its discovery(how many cruisers inspect their pedestal cables on a regular basis?). Stranded wire is incredibly strong and because of the multiple strands have a built-in failsafe for catastrophic failure. I am a strong adherent for maintenance and safety on my boat which is tempered with common sense and principles of mechanical physics. Re-using stranded wire, in good condition, is perfectly acceptable and very cost effective. Good luck and safe sailing.

Tags
shroud