Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2010, 14:03   #1

Understanding Cordage

Searched the forum, so apologies if this has already been asked.

I'm struggling to decipher between the different marketing names vs what cordage is really what. There are basics like what the core is made of, what the outer layer is made from, the softness on the hands ( bad description I know), max loading, breakage point, pleat, etc.. Does anyone have a decent summary link, page or document that explains these including common names, branding etc..

When looking to replace the cordage on my boat, I'm frequently unsure what I really need. Now this leaves me with a few options like only buying overpriced from the OEM or going with the local dude who says "trust me" this is what you need.

I'd prefer to look at what my requirements are such as the loading on a sheet spec'd from the sail maker then with other relevant advice/information, choose the right cordage and buy at a decent price. Often my ignorance in this matter has led me to pay 2-3x the rate per meter when I could have easily ordered online if I knew what the hell I needed in the first place.

As I have a sports racing boat, I'm well aware that each and every run of cordage needs to be spec'd correctly. Therefore I'm hoping that someone can provide a "bible" of cordage selection that will give me the power to purchase what I really need.

Cheers.

Ben.
bbhflts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 14:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Rope Definitions ➥ Glossary

Rope Specifications ➥
Rope Characteristics

Rope Technology ➥ New England Ropes - Main Technology

All about rope:
All About Rope - Everything You Need To Know About Cordage
Types of Rope

Animated Knots by Grog
Animated Knots by Grog

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 15:52   #3

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
If you get yourself a Harken Catalog. It has a great deal of useful technical information, including: Average breaking strengths for various sizes and types of rope (including standard double braid, Spectra, Vectran, etc) and stainless wire.

It also has some useful formula that can be used to calculate the correct size rope for various sheets (headsail and mainsail).
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 16:01   #4

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
mauri pro has lots of useful selection stuff on line

Rigging Hardware and Services

I have no relation to them (except as a customer) - I have found their website useful for understanding some of this stuff.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 07:59   #5

Thanks guys. Some great pointers. Exactly what I was after.

Cheers.

Ben.
bbhflts is offline   Reply With Quote