Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 00:37   #31

Boat: Swan 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post

Something that should be made clear in this thread is that you can choose where the reef points go. Saying that 3 reefs is necessary for going offshore is not correct. Saying that you need the ability to shorten sail by some percentage is a valid statement.
Yup

I have a 2 reef main:
The 1st reef is probably halfway between 1st & 2nd reefs on a 3 reef main
The 2nd reef is probably halway between the 2nd & 3rd reefs on a 3 reef main
After that I go to trysail.

Disadvantage: I don't have the versatility of a 3 reef main
Advantage: My trysail goes up early when things are manageable
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:46   #32

Boat: Jeanneua 36
I am a delivery skipper and sail in some of the hardest sailing areas around /The times ive wished for a 3rd. reef on deliveries i cant count.Just to take a break with a3rd. reef in and the wheel or tiller lashed down and nock up a soup in a minat,try doing that with to mush main up or even the smallest head sail up.the last delivery i was doing,we had 50 to 65 knts over port quarter,a lot spum in the air and a bit of green over the stern,plenty of sea room,the owner asked(in a religous position from down below)could we put up a smaller sail,sorry thats it.Ive serously thought about a 4th. heavy weather reef in a crusing main.On my boat i run my 3 down hauls frew blocks on the sail and back to the cockpit,I DO NOT LEAVE THE COCKPIT TO REEF;
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote