Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-02-2008, 21:38   #1

Boat: 44 footer
Traveler question: Pin Stops

Hi Guys,

I was talking with a friend about revamping the traveler on my Triton. The mainsheet hooks to the end of the boom. Traveler is on the aft edge of the cockpit.

She brought up using pin stops instead of blocks and line to locate the main sheet car. I'm having a bit of trouble tracking down such beasties. In light air grab the mainsheet and slide the car one way or the other, pull the pin and move the pin stop and its set to a new spot. Bigger gusts, set the stop for the next tack where you want it...

In any event, I'm seeking advice for improving my current setup which is a 3:1 with two clam cleats mounted just in front of the traveler on the back wall of the cockpit. Pull up and push away from you to move the traveler towards you, pull to move away. Two stopper knots are used, and the line is continuous and runs through the blocks, through the car, down through the cleats on each side.

The clam cleats aren't my first choice, as when I first bought the boat a strong breeze on a broad reach would yank the line through the worn out cleats and occasionally send the boat on an accidental gybe. It hasn't happened since I replaced the line and cleats with new... but I am still not comfortable with it and want a bullet proof system for going cruising.

Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts guys!

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote