Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 17:30   #1

Boat: PETERSON 44
Track Car Stop

Took my boom off in respect for Irene. Hence I am a nude bare stripped not sailing anywhere boater. Anyway taking the opportunity to replace the gooseneck fasteners and check all the stuff. The gooseneck can't come off unless the track stop comes off. It does not obviously want to come loose. Any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1853841806.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	31163   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-153110820.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	31164  

Name:	image-1312290904.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	31165  
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 17:51   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Track car stop

That track appears to be the Antal sail track system and the sail track "stop" is currently in the down position to enable the sail cars to come off the track. You loosen that big thumb wheel on the sail track "stop" and that retracts a pin and allows the sail track "stop" to move up the slot you see in the second photo. You then tighten the big thumb screw to allow its pin to enter the upper round position. The upper position of the sail track "stop" is the normal position when the sail is installed on the boat. The lower position is only for removing the sail track cars from the track.
- - If somebody is using the sail track "stop" to guard the gooseneck pivot pin - then that is very wrong. There should be a hole in the pin and a washer and cotter pin that keeps the gooseneck from raising up and off the pin.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fb-6-1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	31167   Click image for larger version

Name:	fb-6-3.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	31168  

osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 18:19   #3

I was not sure it was antal. I do have Antal batten system but wasn't sure the track and stop were the same. You are a great resource thanks. I would never have noticed but it's a bad design the pin will not come out with the stop in place. Upside of Irene I'm taking a closer look at how this should go together.
Thanks jon
Old 04-09-2011, 18:39   #4

Correct the stop was released and lowered. I then dropped the bat cars through the the track escape..pulled the boom off and lowered the main and boom into the cabin. The goose neck pin will not come out unless the stop is removed. I can't get the last 2 bolts out of the mast with the pin in. There are 2 key holes in the track that look like the escapes for the stop but that damn stop won't come out.assuming these key ways are the stop removal point. In the morning I am going to get a bigger hammer and check the Antal sight
Old 04-09-2011, 18:52   #5

Re: Track car stop

You cannot remove the sail track slide "stop" from the bottom piece of sail track. It is an integal unit. You can however remove the entire unit as the photo I attached shows. There are machine screws at the top of the unit and one at the bottom. Then that whole piece of track and the stop comes off the mast.
- - Who ever installed the track system should have left a sufficient gap between the top of the gooseneck pin and the bottom of the Antal track stop piece. Obviously they did not.
Old 04-09-2011, 20:17   #6

Yep that's what it looks like. The stop is integral to the section. The key hole stops had me thinking they were an escape for the stop. Thanks. The goose neck assembly is a bit suspicious working but an opportunity to look at it and modify. I really don't like the way the boom came off and the trapping of the goose neck pin. Upside of hurricane season.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:12   #7

Re: Track Car Stop

While you have the sail and Antal batten cars & intermediate cars off the track, now is an excellent time for some preventive care.
- - Put a little Joy liquid into a container of water and use a toothbrush and the liquid to clean the fiber insert in each car. Salt air and atmospheric dust gets onto the surface of the fiber insert and inhibits the car from sliding up and down the track easily.
- - Additionally, I found some "Teflon lubricant spray" and sprayed each car's fiber insert. Now my cars really zip up and down the track.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Antal Marine Equipment_car.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	31179   Click image for larger version

Name:	31gjV28oAyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	31180  

Old 09-09-2011, 17:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail
While you have the sail and Antal batten cars & intermediate cars off the track, now is an excellent time for some preventive care.
- - Put a little Joy liquid into a container of water and use a toothbrush and the liquid to clean the fiber insert in each car. Salt air and atmospheric dust gets onto the surface of the fiber insert and inhibits the car from sliding up and down the track easily.
- - Additionally, I found some "Teflon lubricant spray" and sprayed each car's fiber insert. Now my cars really zip up and down the track.
Wanted to add a thanks but can't do that from this device. So thanks polished all the parts have teflon, lamakin for bolts etc.. and joy sail is going back on.