Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2013, 06:06   #1

Boat: 1988 Morgan Classic 41 "HALLEL"
Time to pull the mast

Pulling the mast today for a refit and refurb. Keel stepped with Euro style rigging plates on a 88 Catalina Morgan Classic. You do realize sometimes what a can of worms you open untill you open them. Let the fun begin! Happy sails
SVHALLEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 19:58   #2

Well got it out and stripped today. Ordered rigging and lighting. Sending to Lefiell to have it reworked. Changing the boat to a cutter rig. Now to work on chain plates. After pulling the deck plates I am afraid that they used 5200 on the chainplates too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130925_195442.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	67898

Name:	ForumRunner_20130925_195505.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	67899
Old 25-09-2013, 20:52   #3

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Re: Time to pull the mast

Good luck with it. We were going to pull ours this year for refurbishment but put it off until next year when I will have more time. Apart from the refurbishment, our is black and I plan to paint it white. I don't like black stuff on boats.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 21:06   #4

Mine's wood; lots of work had to be done. I replaced my chain plates after the mast got back on. One at a time. Get the stick back on the boat as fast as you can!
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 21:10   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hello SVHALLEL,

I'm doing a refit on a 1978 Rafiki 37 cutter rigged with a LeFiell mast. I was wondering why you're sending yours back to the factory for rework. The mast seems pretty bullet proof. I do have some issues removing the stainless steel hardware that was never installed with anti-sieze but that's it.

Also some riggers prefer rigging a sloop with a solent stay vs re-rigging as a cutter. Less design effort involved to get it engineered correctly. I was considering it for my boat but decided to leave well enough alone.

Convert Your
Sloop to a Double-Headsail Rig | Sail Magazine
"A Solent stay is not a cutter’s inner forestay, which is farther aft and typically requires additional support in the form of running backstays or extra swept-back shrouds. This is one of the biggest attractions of a Solent rig: no extra standing rigging required."

Thanks in advance.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4956.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	67901  
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 05:12   #6

What happened to mine was the euro mast fittings would not come out while on a bosun chair. Used lots of heat while on the ground. I am sending it to the factory to have it stripped painted new rivets and new cable ran. It was less expensive to have them do it. The stick was 58 feet and the yard wanted 52oo to paint it. Lefeil has a great refurb program and just to paint it 2500. A niegbor pulled and painted himself for about 900 to 1000 plus 2 weeks of labor.
I chose the cutter for 2 reasons. The main one was I have a new harken furler off my old boat that was 2 years old and the right length. Second I like the versatility of a cutter. The solent has advantages like less rigging, less cost and less designing. Just a personal preference I guess.
Thanks for the replies. Will keep posted
Old 29-10-2013, 06:30   #7

Well made new stainless backing plates, chainplates ready, new standing rigging, LED lighting, new running rigging, and the mast is ready at Lefiel. Need to finish some glass work and organize the installation.

Name:	ForumRunner_20131029_062837.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	69494

Name:	ForumRunner_20131029_062855.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	69495

Name:	ForumRunner_20131029_062943.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	69496
Old 16-03-2014, 02:57   #8

Well it has been awhile but I am close to sailing again. Got the new rig on and staysail roller furling to a point where it can be used. This was by far the biggest project I have done to date (not counting the cutout, design and refit of new water tanks). Still need cabin top staysail tracks and cars, line lock for mainsheet, and 2 large cheek blocks. Will use snatch blocks and barber hauler temporarily till I can work more overtime. Two weeks till I take her out for rig tuning (excited )

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1394962755470.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	77653  
Old 16-03-2014, 11:24   #9

Boat: Tayana 37

Nice! I'm about to pull my mast as well. Dryrot repair. Gotta love a wood stick.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 09:32   #10

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"Get the stick back on the boat as fast as you can! " Rebelheart

Why do you need to step the mast as quickly as possible? I have dropped my mast every three years for the last 25 years for inspection and reconditioning from 6 weeks(in the Tropics) to six months(up North) with no difference in effect based upon time. Can you explain your above statement more clearly as to the need for speed?
Old 19-03-2014, 09:45   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
"Get the stick back on the boat as fast as you can! " Rebelheart

Why do you need to step the mast as quickly as possible? I have dropped my mast every three years for the last 25 years for inspection and reconditioning from 6 weeks(in the Tropics) to six months(up North) with no difference in effect based upon time. Can you explain your above statement more clearly as to the need for speed?
I've just seen a lot of those projects go on for way too long. There's generally not much you really need the entire rig off for and while it's off the boat is obviously unsailable.

Plenty of people don't have peoblems but I've seen those unstep projects drag on forever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:25   #12

Finally sailed her and got the rig tuned. It worked! I corrected the problem I had when I bought the the boat. Adjusting the step, putting in pre bend , and adjusting rig tension was able to rid of the heavy weather helm, balance the boat and hit hull speed close hauled in chop with 15 degrees heel with 12 to 15 knots apparent wind. That I was impressed. It is impossible to tack the Genoa without someone on deck or rolling and rolling back out. Will get used to it. With the new bearings in the furler it was a lot easier to furl.
You are correct in the fact that these projects tend to get drawn out. Mine started August 2013 and sailed March 29 2014.
It was worth it though.
Thank you for the comments
John

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1396340703980.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	78589