Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2015, 04:40   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Tefgel as winch grease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpey View Post
Thanks folks. Superlube sounds good. Will give that a go.
And squirting tefgel in your Kiwi Props is bad idea too. Tefgel is not a lube, but a anti-galvanic corrosion coating. Its thick and gummy...likely to do bad things to your Kiwi Props. Kiwi specifies NLGI 2 standard grease.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:57   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Finest stuff foir cleaning and lubricating winches is diesel. You don't need grease, it just kucks things up.

OK, with diesel you have to do it a bit more often, but it's a 2 minute job compared to digging all the congealed muck that some idiot has applied. Sail on an IOR winch farm and you'll really appreciate this.

As far as using tefgel, it must be a troll...
Old 02-02-2015, 05:04   #18

Boat: Moody 376

well this is where I got the idea for the kiwiprop from

Kiwi Prop and Tef Gel as Lubricant - myHanse - Hanse Yachts Owners Forum - Page 2

Promise I am not intending to troll... It just seemed logical enough to me...
sharpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:37   #19

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Hey folks,

I have a big tube of tefgel aboard that I intend to use for greasing my new kiwi prop.

Anyone ever used it as a winch grease. I can't really see why it wouldn't be a good idea. Then, I may well be missing something here.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers,

James
Here in Hawaii TefGel is so expensive I use just a tiny bit on bolts and screws that need to be able to be undone. Please don't waste the stuff. It's like the price of gold.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:51   #20

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
What can I use in the third world where none of the fancy expensive western stuff is readily not available? Just normal car grease and engine oil? Better than nada? Not "no no no, terrible idea"?
Or you can buy a bigger tube of lewmars lubricant so you have more to use hence more then one time using it.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:48   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I have used Zip-It paint remover to dissolve hardened grease on a halyard winch that wasn't removable from the mast. Then rinsed with paint thinner. Grease on the bearings and machine oil on the pawls.

This is what happens when a PO doesn't believe in maintenance.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:37   #22

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

My old Barients prefer very thin greasing otherwise, the salt water and alum-SS-bronze parts all get together to make a hardened mess of the grease and seize the winch in the salt water and baking sun. My next ocean xing I will use a long skinny nozzle bottle to squirt fresh water up into the winches to help minimize the saltwater issue. Taking the winches apart mid ocean isn't so easy with the risk of pawls/springs, retaining rings flinging themselves overboard even with a protective cloth hood rig set up to prevent that from happening.

On the pawls/springs, I use a light machine oil.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 17:26   #23

Quote:
well this is where I got the idea for the kiwiprop from

Kiwi Prop and Tef Gel as Lubricant - myHanse - Hanse Yachts Owners Forum - Page 2

Promise I am not intending to troll... It just seemed logical enough to me...
Asking relevant questions and providing relevant info is not trolling. Read the forum link you posted...sounds like the guy was having other root cause issues with his Kiwis to me.

Also looked at the teff gel site. In their descriptions they only present it as a anti-galvanic corrosion coating not as a lubricant. Before you do it, I would run it by Kiwi Props (very knowledgeable and responsive).
Old 02-02-2015, 17:34   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Or you can buy a bigger tube of lewmars lubricant so you have more to use hence more then one time using it.
I bought a small tub of "Corrosion Bloc" brand grease (NLGI 2 rated) ages ago and it has worked well for me and lasted a long time. Use it on winches, prop shafts and such. Have not used it to lube Kiwi Props though other than for assembly. Have a syringe of teff gel that I just use between stainless fasteners & aluminum (now if the folks at ProFurl had just done that...only way mine is coming apart is at a machine shop!)
Old 02-02-2015, 20:56   #25

Boat: Cheoy Lee 43 Pilothouse Ketch

Having a catering backgound, I've used food grade grease for winches for years. This is a light 'water resistant' grease which resists emulsifying and is used on food processing roller conveyor lines, ice cream machines, processing equipment,etc. Cheap form catering suppliers in most large cities.
Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winch