Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 15:05   #16

We had 48 Lewmars on the Schock 35 and I would have been happier to have had the 54's.

Winches always seem too small when the breeze is on. We have 3 sp electric harken 98's for 1000 sq ft working jib and they aren't big enough.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 15:21   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMustBeASailor
Buoy, I agree that would be better. However, I can't help but think that "that's something else to break... out there."

It will be such a leap for me just to get to self tailing that I think electric winches would be too much decadence.

"Honey, tail this line for me, would you?"

Mark
If you want to be decadent you have Will make a special a/p remote with cool little buttons in it so you don't have to set down your coldy to trim the jib or main. But as you can see by the winch handle in the main I still like to trim by hand.

Old 08-02-2007, 15:40   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Our CSY 33 has 2 speed Lewmar 43's and I would not want anything less. You really need to be thinking 2 speed self tailing minimum.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 16:14   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandplanet
Andersen is a superior winch IMHO but if I could buy a Harken or Lewmar for considerably less money I'd be all over it.
Just asking, but why do you think they are superior?
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 18:35   #20
cruiser

Anything with a four to one gear ratio or better would work OK
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 16:43   #21

Boat: Tartan 34c - Valiant
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
I browse eBay at least twice a day in search of a Lewmar or Harken 52 or 54 self tailer. That's how I came across the 44 listing. If you go to eBay Motors and type in "Harken Winch" the 44 ASTs will show up either ...
John,

Thanks for the link. I have been going to Ebay motors, but I have book marked the section on Sailing Hardware and Gear. If I typed in "winch" in the main section, all I got was car bumper winches. But going out and specifying "harken winch" was interesting.

The price for the the winch you gave me the link for is a good price. It is about $90 less than what I'd pay at pyacht.com, which is $1178.06. And I think I'd pay about $1250 or so at Fawcett's here in Annapolis. Every little bit helps.

Joli, great photo, and you show the real benefit to electric winches: not having to set down your drink. Is that Tolly Point behind you?

One good word on spinnakers: A friend of mine has a J29, and his chute is just about perfect for my boat. Like most racers, he has a basement full of "old" sails that saw their one or two seasons of use. Now if I can find a spinnaker pole at Bacon's and, if necessary, cut it down a bit.

Mark
IMustBeASailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 17:07   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMustBeASailor
John,

Thanks for the link. I have been going to Ebay motors, but I have book marked the section on Sailing Hardware and Gear. If I typed in "winch" in the main section, all I got was car bumper winches. But going out and specifying "harken winch" was interesting.

The price for the the winch you gave me the link for is a good price. It is about $90 less than what I'd pay at pyacht.com, which is $1178.06. And I think I'd pay about $1250 or so at Fawcett's here in Annapolis. Every little bit helps.

Joli, great photo, and you show the real benefit to electric winches: not having to set down your drink. Is that Tolly Point behind you?

One good word on spinnakers: A friend of mine has a J29, and his chute is just about perfect for my boat. Like most racers, he has a basement full of "old" sails that saw their one or two seasons of use. Now if I can find a spinnaker pole at Bacon's and, if necessary, cut it down a bit.

Mark
Hello Mark,

That is Marblehead Light behind us. Thanks.

Check out Minney for used sails. Lots of good deals.

Just remember when cranking in a breeze the size of the winch. A few bucks won't matter then.

B

Tags
Genoa