Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 05:04   #1

Boat: Seidelmann 299
pirate sail advice

I went to check my boat yesterday and found that my jib and come unfurled some how. needless to say the sail is now shredded, it somehow got wrapped around a stantion, and snapped it off the plate.

I need a new jib NOW! I am looking on line at used sails and can't find an exact match. How close does it have to be. here are my dimentions.

I 29.75
ISP 29.75
J 9.30
SPL 9.30
P 25.75
E 9.50

I have taken the old jib down, and measured it, the luff is 28 and the foot is 11.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. I need to have a sail by the 14th as (hopefully if he permits me to marry his daughter) my future father in law is coming down to sail for the weekend.

many thanks in advance
fenceguy
fenceguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:26   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
If you need a sail in a week then you need a used sail shipped today. New sails probably are maybe 6 weeks or more..

Here is a good source to try:

Bacon Sails

Google "Used Sails". for more options.

If it is blowing well enough you might need to sail on the main alone. I wouldn't dwell on how you lost the jib with your future to be father-in-law.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:32   #3

thanks for the advice, I have found two sails on baconsail.com but I don't know if they will fit.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:19   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If the luff is the correct length then it can't be too wrong. The other issue is the style of the luff. If it has hanks or if it will fit your roller furler. If the foot is close it should end up about as close to your old sail.

Bacons also has a sail calculator based on make and model of the boat. You could compare those numbers to your own measurements.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:27   #5

Boat: B24
Also check eBay – you have to ask the right questions, and each seller is different, but so far I’m batting a thousand – albeit in the minor leagues…
Old 07-03-2008, 08:30   #6

Boat: C&C 30 MkII
Fenceguy, Cheap and easy insurance when you get your new jib...use a sail tie around the sail through the clew each time you finish using the boat.
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:48   #7
Eternal Member

Bacon - A Small Suggestion

Bacon Sails used to be a wonderful source. Many reports in the recent past suggest that they are not on top of their game as they used to be. My own experiences with them confirm that.

If you are intending to buy something and have it shipped from Bacon, call them and get an absolute assurance that they will mail it immediately and via the mode you select.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:45   #8

ok guys, thanks for the advice. found a good used sail at atlanticsails.com. Dealth with Brian down there in florida, super nice guy. Had to add luff tape to it, but he promises me that it will ship out today! Placed the order Friday morning. so i'll keep you informed. But that brings me to another issue!!!!

I made a HUGE greenhorn error when I took the jib down, I didn't tie anything to the line to rehoist the sail, so I have the end of the halyard line dangling at the top of my mast. Any suggestion on how to retrieve it by myself. My girlfriend had to fly home on the weekend, her grandpa passed away. Her and her dad are flying down on thursday and we are suppose to go sailing for the weekend. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks
Fenceguy.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:04   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I made a HUGE greenhorn error when I took the jib down, I didn't tie anything to the line to rehoist the sail,
Ouch! The good news is if you hoist it all the way up you can hop on the bosuns chair and go up and tie something to it now. Too bad your girlfriend is gone. They work well for such tasks (once maybe).

You might entertain yourself for an afternoon doing cowboy lariat imitations but it's a pretty low percentage game. I got a main halyard doing that but it was only one third the way up. If it's loose and flapping you might get lucky. Shaking the bottom end of the line will either let more out or pull more in.

You'll probably need some help to hoist yourself up. Best to get two people one to crank and another to tail maybe a third to stand on the dock and spot. Most any sailor has been on one end of such operations or the other. Everyone at the dock will want to come watch.

Just add this to the list of things you'll never do again. Don't feel too embarrassed.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:42   #10
jzk

Not a bad idea to go up there and check everything anyway every once in a while.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 18:52   #11

had to post an update. took a piece of 1 3/8 top rail from work 21' long ,then I took a 30' piece of stiff nylon 3/8 rope and tied a noose in one end. threaded the running end through the piece of top rail. the noose is too thick to fit inside the top rail so when I pull the running end the noose will tighten. went down to the boat with the top rail. (in order to transport the 21' piece of pipe I bungee corded it under my truck.) you have about a foot in front and a foot behind. once there took it down made a fairly large loop, and started trying to lassoo the loose end of the halyard. took about 5 mins until I had it through, cynched it down and pulled it to me.

proceeded to do a dance of joy and called it a day. My new sail shipped out from Atlantic sail traders today, so hopefully I should have it on Wednesday.

thats all for now.
Old 10-03-2008, 19:07   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
proceeded to do a dance of joy and called it a day.
Being lucky still counts! You might just get this father-in-law thing beat. Don't forget the details! Posting pictures is always nice - we love'em.
Old 11-03-2008, 18:25   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Fenceguy,
I've bought a few of thos toprails to use as stanchions for awnings to cover the boat. They also make good masts for TV antennas (kind of outdated, eh?).
Another way to "try" to retrieve a jib halyard that has gone up to the masthead is to rig a bit of a hook on your main halyard or spinnaker halyard, ease it up to the jib halyard thimble or shackle and try to hook the jib halyard. Make certain you have enough main halyard so you don't loose the end of it too. I would tie a light tagline to the end of the main halyard or spinnaker halyard just to make certain you have enough. Of course, that may not work if you have internal halyards.
Glad you were able to get her back without too much trouble.
I'll bet you are anxious to see that new sail.
Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote