Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2012, 02:49   #1

running rigging

I want to replace my all running rigging and I see Dacron polyester and various rope running from 12,000 breaking strength down to 2,100 lb . I realize the strongest is better but does a 20ft kingfisher bilge keel need sheets and halyard lines with 10-12 k breaking strength when something less costly would be adequ this is my first boat. I just cant see this kind of force developing before the boat would spill the wind. Please let me know what you think about this.

Bob
Last Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 03:00   #2

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
There are various online calculators you can use to figure out what sort of loads you would typically ser on your sails/sheets/halyards. I would use that to determine what sort of breaking strength is required. Don't forget knots will reduce your line strength by a certain perctntage as well.
Old 19-03-2012, 03:01   #3

Re: running rigging

Thanks you I will check that out .
Last Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 03:04   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Bob, good grief no, you could lift the whole boat with just one of those ropes.

Since you don't need long halyards on a 20ft boat you can save a packet by shopping around buying roll ends that the chandlers normally sell off cheap or keep or eye out on e bay. Worth buying a 20 meter length of washing line to use as a messenger when taking a halyard out to measure up its replacement or keep one very long Halyard just for this purpose.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 20:19   #5

Boat: Pearson 356 Ketch - 36'

Another consideration is what size line you can hang onto and pull hard enough to do the job. A small diameter line may be strong enough but if it tears up your hands or you can't grip it hard enough to pull hard, it probably isn't a good choice. My boat is a 36' ketch and 1/2" is as small as I want to go for sheets - 7/16" for halyards.
Sailor Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 23:52   #6

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
I want to replace my all running rigging and I see Dacron polyester and various rope running from 12,000 breaking strength down to 2,100 lb . I realize the strongest is better but does a 20ft kingfisher bilge keel need sheets and halyard lines with 10-12 k breaking strength when something less costly would be adequ this is my first boat. I just cant see this kind of force developing before the boat would spill the wind. Please let me know what you think about this.

Bob
You can all but forget about breaking strains. There is little on a 20 footer that can break anything over 6mm. (aside from the anchor). The rest is about comfort and performance.

Sheets-- gotta be nice on the hands. no excuses. . only use a braided.

Halyard-- gotta be non stretch. no excuses. (well maybe on a kite for the racing guys). Spectra is great for small boats. a 6-8mm would be perfect and it wouldn't cut your hands. But if there are any rope clutches double check the max-min sizes they take.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 20:18   #7

Boat: Pearson 30

New member saying hello. I purchased a Pearson 30 late last year, as yet unnamed, and need to replace the Jib Halyard. Alot of data out there, looking for recommendations please. Saw Sailor Ralph's post with 1/2 for sheets and 7/8" for halyards on a 36'. Is 7/8" too much for a P30 Halyard?
Passeggiata - Pearson 30, #644
Robcooper0767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 21:17   #8

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Maybe we should start with sheave size. First of all don't buy anything too big for the pulleys.

Non stretch is nice but absolutely necessary? Just last year guy buys a boat that needs new halyards. By random chance first asks the racers in the club what to buy and gets that. When he found out that the cruisers in the club had halyards that cost less than a third of what he paid and we explained that we just snug em up a bit after they stretch he wasn't happy with his expenditure at all, especially not being a racer.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 21:42   #9

Boat: CS 40

7/8" is way too big for a halyard on a 30ft sailboat. You can use the line selection guide from Mauri Pro to get you started.

Mauri Pro Sailing: Line Selection Guide
mikefossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 21:51   #10

Boat: Pearson 356 Ketch - 36'

BTW - that's 7/16 for halyards not 7/8.

I agree with John. No point in paying for high performance stuff if you aren't into high performance sailing.

The previous owner of my boat didn't pay attention to sheave size when he bought sheets and they are badly frayed where they go thru the blocks cuz the line is too big.
Sailor Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 21:58   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcooper0767 View Post
Is 7/8" too much for a P30 Halyard?
yep..
Old 02-05-2012, 23:09   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

7/16" is about as large a diameter line as you'll need aboard a 30' boat. That size is way over kill for the loads you'll put on it but is a comfortable size for the hands. 3/8" would be fine but about as small as I'd go for comfort. 5/16" and 1/4" would be plenty strong, especially in the new synthetics, but you better wear gloves to pull much tension on it.

I don't like to use 1/2" line because it's bulky and takes up a lot of space.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:55   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rob.

3/8" Halyards according to:

Running rigging for Pearson 30http://shop.sailboatowners.com/corda...2.htm?bid=4930

And ➥ http://shop.sailboatowners.com/corda...rson%20&next=1

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 19:20   #14

Boat: Pearson 30

Wow! thanks all. Ralph...sorry about the mistake, late read. Gord, thanks for the calculator, tremendous help. I plan to go to the boat (on the hard, 1 hour and 40 mins away) and remove the jib halyard and eyeball the sheave with binoculars sometime during the process. I think PO had 1/2", but might be 7/16. Definitely not 3/8. Was figuring 90' but the calculator says 92', so I'll get the extra 2'......can't add more if line is too short!
John, good advice on the type, I got similar advice from a racer friend just recently on type, I like your take on it and the $ savings. This year will be for cruising and learning the boat (and probably next year too).
Again, appreciate the feedback and the welcome.
Cheers,
Rob
Passeggiata - Pearson 30, #644
Robcooper0767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 22:20   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcooper0767
Wow! thanks all. Ralph...sorry about the mistake, late read. Gord, thanks for the calculator, tremendous help. I plan to go to the boat (on the hard, 1 hour and 40 mins away) and remove the jib halyard and eyeball the sheave with binoculars sometime during the process. I think PO had 1/2", but might be 7/16. Definitely not 3/8. Was figuring 90' but the calculator says 92', so I'll get the extra 2'......can't add more if line is too short!
John, good advice on the type, I got similar advice from a racer friend just recently on type, I like your take on it and the $ savings. This year will be for cruising and learning the boat (and probably next year too).
Again, appreciate the feedback and the welcome.
Cheers,
Rob
Don't forget to run a messenger line when pulling the halyard out. Makes reinstallation a lot easier.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging