Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 01:19   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 52.2, Merit 25
Roller Furling on Ketch . . . Not as Crucial ?

My assumption is this: A roller furling as a safety matter isn't as crucial on a ketch as compared to a sloop or cutter rig. Reason being that sail area can be reduced via lowering the main rather than partially furling the jib. I understand that you are still unable to kill the jib from the cockpit. Much justification that I've seen for "needing" a roller furling has revolved around being able to reduce sail from the cockpit.
Considering a ketch w/ a hank on jib and am trying to weigh the importance of upgrading to rf. will likely still do it, just trying to establish priority.
Swift Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:47   #2

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Roller furling on ketch.... Not as crucial?

Roller furlers aren't about safety. They are set up for lazy sailors like me who dont like the put the beer down to reduce sail. But are they a priority? That depends on the beer.

In reality and all seriousness they are a luxury. As long as you dont mind a walk up to the fore deck now and then, its MHO that you dont "have" to have one. From a safety perspective, i see the sail on the deck while someone is trying to get to the anchor to be about the biggest hazard. Oh and Hatch Diving (walking on a sail that is over an open hatch).
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:27   #3

Certainly a hank on headsail is preferable to drinking Fosters and a roller

Buy the boat, sail it as is and then the priorities of any upgrades will come to you.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:32   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '79 Pearson- 365 ketch,# 264 hull
We have a ketch with a roller furling jib. Love it. No mess on deck , never leave the cockpit, and in a pinch you can reduce sail size. My question is : is it a good idea to use a rolled up jib in a storm or is it better to just change to a storm jib? Is there a difference in strength being that the line holding the roller is much smaller in diameter . I have to believe a storm jib let completely out would be a safer option....
Orrjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:55   #5

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrjames View Post
We have a ketch with a roller furling jib. Love it. No mess on deck , never leave the cockpit, and in a pinch you can reduce sail size. My question is : is it a good idea to use a rolled up jib in a storm or is it better to just change to a storm jib? Is there a difference in strength being that the line holding the roller is much smaller in diameter . I have to believe a storm jib let completely out would be a safer option....
Storm Jib. Assuming you mean a real storm lol. Not just 30 knots.

If the furler fails or the sail decides to unroll, you stand to be in a mess of trouble. Clews on a flogging sail are painful enough in 20 knots let alone getting whacked in real puff.

Storm sails are cut flatter and have less draft as a result. A partly furled headsail will have increased draft in most cases. They are also less efficient when partly rolled.

Like all things this is somewhat subjective. You probably would never even get a storm sail out of its bag if you're just coastal hopping as you will pick your sailing times.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:15   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Drift View Post
Considering a ketch w/ a hank on jib and am trying to weigh the importance of upgrading to rf. will likely still do it, just trying to establish priority.
I don't see that Sloop or Ketch has any great bearing on the decision.

My decision would be on how easy it is to work on the foredeck, and what the sidedecks are like to get there. My guess is that as a ketch she will be over 30 foot and probably fairly traditional on deck .....bigger the boat the easier the foredeck work (although can always be very sh#tty up there - was one of my jobs as a kid on the family boat, no harness - no lifejacket )......but size a downside if the sails become too big to handle for one person (and no spare hands onboard).

I would also suggest considering the forehatch design and what is underneath (stuff you don't want wet?) as sometimes the answer is: "stuff it down the hole and worry about later"

FWIW my ketch has a roller - was thinking of going hank on (and re-using the roller for something on a bowsprit.....but that's a long term project, no bow sprit at the moment ....so no decisions needed - my favourite kind!).

I wouldn't let no Roller put you off a boat - just price one up (in case you find can't live with hank ons) and factor it into the zillion other plusses and minuses each boat has
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:51   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my ketch has a roller out on the sprit for my foresail. i love that i dont have to go out on sprit in a blow to reduce ail, as usually in a blow one also experiences rougher seas.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
Buy the boat, sail it as is and then the priorities of any upgrades will come to you.
Quite for truth.... Sage and practical advice!

So is as I expected: tis a luxury item and shouldn't be treated otherwise. Furthermore, invest in good cock pit cup holders for when I need to go forward to deal with hank on system ...,,. Got it!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
my ketch has a roller out on the sprit for my foresail. i love that i dont have to go out on sprit in a blow to reduce ail, as usually in a blow one also experiences rougher seas.
Zee, I've read several of your posts during my endless hours of cf research. You are deffinetly a refreshing voice of reason when it comes to simplicity and practicality and with real world experience to boot. Almost like a MacGyver of cruising.
All that to say that I'm a little let down by your rf on spirit. I've always imagined you with a monkey on a leash that hangs out in the cock pit.....said leash cleated off in similar fashion to rf line. When uncleated, monkey goes forward to tend forsail to your command. And the monkey was was obtained at a thrift store for less than half the price of a rf system (this is all intended to be a compliment btw).

Oh well, I had to re-arrange my perception of Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny to....so should have known!
Cheers!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:41   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Roller Furling on Ketch . . . Not as Crucial ?

i am saving up for that monkey on a leash--boat came with rf on her---wasnt by my active choice. i am still trying to train bubba to do the bow work--is a looong and tough struggle there, as this cat is stubborn..
sprit overhangs sea by about 6 ft. wooohooo--is wet down there!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:52   #11

Our roller furling goes into the same list as our washer-dryer. Could live without it, but why?

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Drift View Post
Quite for truth.... Sage and practical advice!

So is as I expected: tis a luxury item and shouldn't be treated otherwise. Furthermore, invest in good cock pit cup holders for when I need to go forward to deal with hank on system ...,,. Got it!
When I bought my boat there were lots of things I thought I needed, but after I actually spending 9 weeks sailing on her my priorities changed. Also I knew I needed new sails but the sails I thought I needed before the sailing season are different to what I know I need now
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:02   #13

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I didn't know about roller furling til I had it. It's the best!
It's probably less efficient by .001 kts, maybe .002 kts, like I care, my boat's shaped like a UPS truck with a galley and no brown undies.
I'd recommend that you get a boat that all the big stuff is what you want, things you can't easily change like the keel shape and the interior layout and worry about roller furling later, you can change that either way for a few hundred bucks in my world of salvaged boat parts anyway.
My furler has 2 slots cut in the foil so I can run whatever kind of jib I want except for hanks but I'm a cutter so I'll likely just roll up the whole jib in a blow and reef the main and use a heavy stays'l to be balanced. I guess balance is important even when you're sailing for the UPS team.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:11   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I'd recommend that you get a boat that all the big stuff is what you want, things you can't easily change like the keel shape and the interior layout and worry about roller furling later, you can change that either way for a few hundred bucks in my world of salvaged boat parts anyway.

Agreed! There is no way I would pass over a boat based on rf. I actually have a priority schedule for the boast that includes to do lists under the following categories:

1) Needs Now
2) Needs Later
3) Wants
4) That would be freaking sweet!

The RF will continue to bounce between #3 and #4 untill and unless I get more insight via on the water experience with this boat. My current 26' trailer sailor has a hank on jib and it is simply an inconvenience compared to rf...... I try to keep convenience items towards the "that would be freaking sweet" side of the priority schedule.

Tags
roller furling