Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2019, 12:40   #1

Boat: 1986 Sigma 41
Rigging mizzen boom reefing points (and maybe the rest too)

Hello,
I posted earlier today about my main's boom vang and received great info so thought I'd try this again with my mizzen.

The only rigging that came with the mizzen was the topping lift (attaches to the back of boom in dark green) and the outhaul which is the red rope that comes out of the boom at the mast (not sure if this should run where I've run it after it comes out).

So far, I've attached the red pulley system on the back of the boom to control the sail. The eyebolt 2/3 of the way aft on the boom is where the boom vang hooks in (I think).

I *think* the two pulleys on the back of the boom are for my reefing lines. Yesterday I ran the two lines from U Bolts on the other side of the boom thru the pulleys and then forward on the boom - 1 goes thru a fairlead. I know I'll have to rerun this once the sails back on, but I'm not sure if this is right, or if they go thru the fairlead, and definitely not sure where they end up around the mizzen mast, where they should be secured, and what to do with all that rope when I'm not reefed?

Sorry this is in two photos but couldn't get it all in one shot.

theglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 13:07   #2

Re: Rigging mizzen boom reefing points (and maybe the rest too)

Yes. It's hard to be sure with the pictures but my guess is as follows. After putting on the sail, you'll rerun those lines from the u-bolt through the reefing hole ("Cringle") in the sail leech then down to the block and probably through those fairleads. I suspect the to the black clam cleat that the red line is currently in. The red line should go through the clam cleat that's under the boom (it's facing the right way). When reefing you drop the sail enough to hook the forward cringle on the little horns at the front of the boom as the tack then pull on the correct reefing line to pull the leech cringle down hard to the boom. Then retighten the halyard. You are unlikely to need the winch on the boom as there's no real force on reefing line until the halyard is tightened.

On second look, I'm not sure I'm quite right. The fairleads are not lined up with the clam cleat. It would seem the reefing line will use one or the other but not both. Or maybe they are just not lined up. There also should be a 2nd fairlead for the 2nd reefing line.

It's somewhat unusual to see two reefing lines on a mizzen. Mizzen's are so small that they are rarely reefed. Usually in heavy winds the main is furled entirely and the boat is sailed under full mizzen and reduced headsail (jib and jigger). This, by the way, is my favorite feature of a ketch. You'll need quite a storm to want to reduce the mizzen with no mainsail at all. As you are getting used to the boat, on windy days just leave the mainsail furled. It will feel much less scary.

So I would just rig one of the mizzen reefing lines for now and see if you ever use it (much less feel the need for a 2nd).
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 05:36   #3

Boat: 1986 Sigma 41
Re: Rigging mizzen boom reefing points (and maybe the rest too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Yes. It's hard to be sure with the pictures but my guess is as follows. After putting on the sail, you'll rerun those lines from the u-bolt through the reefing hole ("Cringle") in the sail leech then down to the block and probably through those fairleads. I suspect the to the black clam cleat that the red line is currently in. The red line should go through the clam cleat that's under the boom (it's facing the right way). When reefing you drop the sail enough to hook the forward cringle on the little horns at the front of the boom as the tack then pull on the correct reefing line to pull the leech cringle down hard to the boom. Then retighten the halyard. You are unlikely to need the winch on the boom as there's no real force on reefing line until the halyard is tightened.

On second look, I'm not sure I'm quite right. The fairleads are not lined up with the clam cleat. It would seem the reefing line will use one or the other but not both. Or maybe they are just not lined up. There also should be a 2nd fairlead for the 2nd reefing line.

It's somewhat unusual to see two reefing lines on a mizzen. Mizzen's are so small that they are rarely reefed. Usually in heavy winds the main is furled entirely and the boat is sailed under full mizzen and reduced headsail (jib and jigger). This, by the way, is my favorite feature of a ketch. You'll need quite a storm to want to reduce the mizzen with no mainsail at all. As you are getting used to the boat, on windy days just leave the mainsail furled. It will feel much less scary.

So I would just rig one of the mizzen reefing lines for now and see if you ever use it (much less feel the need for a 2nd).

I appreciate this great summary. I'll just leave the one rigged and see how it goes. I thought the fairlead aft of the winch on the boom was for the reefing points but it seems to be facing the wrong direction. Anyway, I'll keep digging into it.

Thanks!!
theglo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging