Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2010, 07:37   #1

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Rigging Guides, Manuals or Photos

I've had slow but steady progress on my Starwind 27 project boat over the past few months. The time at the boat on the weekends has been spent working over the diesel, but I've had time at home in the evenings to go through the sails, repaint the boom, etc. The boom is finally back on the mast, all the hardware on the main sail looks good, and all the frozen hanks have been replaced on the jib.

We've purchased two halyards to raise the sails, but now I'm kind of stumped.

I have a box full of blocks and cleats from the previous owner that were originally ... somewhere.

I bought Don Casey's Complete Guide to Sailboat Maintenance and while there's a big section on how to sew and repair sails, there's nothing on how to run lines.

I know that one of the two cleats in the box screws into the stern end of the boom on the starboard side because I can match up the screw holes, but I have no idea what it's for.

I'm guessing the block with the quick lock attaches to the traveler, and the block without the quick lock attaches to a ring on the boom. However, I have no idea how the main sheet is supposed to run back and forth between them and where the end you're not pulling disappears to.

There's also three lines coming through the boom. Obviously the one with the metal lead hooks to the metal line off the mast to adjust the height/angle of the boom, but what are the other two for?

I feel bad asking such simplistic questions, but I've bought several books now hoping for some kind of guide and none of them have addressed running rigging. I've also tried to figure it out staring at other boats in the marina, but the sail covers generally hide all the detail of what's going where.

Does anyone have good photos they could share of how their rigging runs on a 25' - 30' sloop or can you point me to some sort of guide/instruction manual?

(My fingers are crossed that the diesel finally runs tomorrow, so we can buy our sheets and rig the sails on Saturday.)
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging, sloop