Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2008, 14:38   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
It was the line that secures the end of the halyard to the drum when the sail is raised. The line that attaches to the head of the sail is fine.
Same line isn't it?
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 15:55   #17

Not necessarily, Mine has a wire halyard that is connected to a sliding lug on the track, the lug then ties off to the drum. I thought it might be a similar setup using line instead of wire. If it's a straight shot with line, do the same thing. Cut it at the sail head, use it as a messenger for a new line as discribed above.

- OR -

Take it back to the boat yard screaming Whiskey Tango Foxtrot and have them fix their bone head mistake.
Old 17-07-2008, 19:19   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Maddog,

You are probably right it comes down to one or the other. At this point our new member can make a decision. Since I think we have all done as much as possible.

Adcurium, I hope you won't think us imposing. Some topics just generate more interest than others and our enthusiasm sometimes gets us more than just a little excited.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 06:12   #19

Wasn't tryng to drag you down Paul. Just passing on my experience with this furling unit.

Maddog out.
Old 16-10-2008, 11:52   #20

cdi furler

I am thinking of getting a furler system for my boat next season. I was interested in what the experince has been with CDI. I currently mostly daysail, but I would like to get back to racing again. I have a Capri 25. Also how easy are they to install and to I need to buy a new sail ?

Thanks
Larry1234
Larry1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 16:26   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi Larry - We have a Profurl 100 and it's the second best feature on our boat. Otto - the ST1000 pilot - is the best thing ;-)

We love our unit and it makes sailing a complete no brainer. We are off and running in 5 minutes from boarding the boat.

Our unit has twin head foil. Basically an aluminum track that has a groove, like the mast does. The genny has a bolt rope that is hauled up the foil.

You might have to have a sailmaker look at your jib to see if it can be modified to a boltrope. Also, because you leave the jib out in the weather you need uv protection. A purpose built sail will have sunbrella type material sewn into the foot and leech.

There is an after market "bag" that you can get that hauls up on the spinnaker halyard and covers the furled sail and while a neet idea, I would find that inconvenient.

Seriously - It's probably the best mod you can do to a small boat.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 09:23   #22

CdI furling

I know I raised this question last fall but it is spring here again and I am about to launch the boat. I am interested in what experince anyone has had with CDI roller systems. I talked with a distributor about CDI and was told it is a good system but does not have much flexiability. I was told that you can not adjust halyard tenison and you really shouldn't think of CdI as a reefing system.How easy is this system to install myself ? I have a Capri 25.
Old 14-05-2009, 09:32   #23

We have a CDI furler on our boat (28' 9000 lbs. displacement) and it functions quite well. At first it was kind of sticky to furl, but our unit is simple to service. You just lift up the drum and shoot a stream of water in there to clean out whatever debris is sitting on the bearing. Then I prop the drum up and let it dry, then I shoot some McLube sail track lube onto the top of the plastic bearing. I do that a couple of times a year.

To say it is not capable of reefing is just wrong, we've sailed many times with the genny reefed down at various levels and never had a problem.

Tensioning the halyard is not a big deal, I don't find you need much tension to keep a nice tight luff, hand tension is sufficient with ours.

Most people just don't understand them because they have their own halyard. But that is the beauty of them. Just don't forget the messenger line when you pull the sail down. I've never installed one but I suspect they are easier than most because the unit is self-contained.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 10:43   #24

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
The person who told you "you can't reef with a CDI" is completely wrong. In fact that was it's main selling point for me(that and the guarantee). You can and it's as easy as it gets. Head up to the wind, pull in as many wraps as you need for conditions, recleat the furling line, fall off adjust sail. It takes about as long to type it as it does to do it.

This is my 2nd CDI (2 different sizes and boats) and I'm very happy as it makes sailing single handed so much easier and safer as I dont have to go to the fore deck just when things start to get dicey.

The larger models have a wire halyard built in and the metal slug has a short line attached that secures the tack and tensions the luff. I think that what he may have meant is you can't adjust tension as easily as on a regular jib by using a winch on the halyard and that IS true. I use my weight to tighten by standing on the messenger line and while doing that tie off the tag line.
You will have to tighten things up the first time you put the sail on the furler or you will get a baggy roll.

You should have a sacrificial cover sewn on your sail as putting the sail up and down every time you go sailing is a real hassle and if you don't have a cover UV will eat your sail up in a short time if left on the furler.

You can get a complete set of directions on line if you hunt around the CDI home site. Good luck and ejoy............
Old 14-05-2009, 11:19   #25

Boat: Privateer 26 (PETREL)
well..... dont yall laugh ...but I put my jib on my ff4 with sail slugs (I'm cheap) and it works great. I dont race, just cruise.
tex105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 21:29   #26

Thanks for the feed back on CDI systems. I am also looking at a Sea Flex system from Hood. Has anyone had any experince with this system ? As I understand it has some advantages over the CDI.
Old 25-07-2009, 15:16   #27

I have gone ahead and installed a CDI system. So far I am happy with it. I didn't have enough money to buy a new sail this year but I am looking at buying one next year. So far I have a quote from North Sails using their 4800 Dacron and a qoute from a local sailmaker using high modulus dacron. Anyone know the plus and minus of these two materials.
Old 29-07-2009, 03:49   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1234 View Post
... So far I have a quote from North Sails using their 4800 Dacron and a qoute from a local sailmaker using high modulus dacron. Anyone know the plus and minus of these two materials.
NorDac 4800 is North Sails trade name for Hi Modulus/Hi Tennacity Dacron.
Compare actual sailcloth specifications.
Modulus is the ability of a sail fabric to resist stretch; whereas Tenacity relates to the breaking strength of fibres (tensile stress at rupture).
Denier is the weight of a given yarn, where a higher denier signifies a heavier fibre.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:49   #29

Boat: Kells 28
CDI Flexible Furler

" The only trouble with this system is you MUST remember to attach the messenger before lowering the sail or that little metal slide will go all the way up the foil making it nearly impossible to retreave. Don't ask how I know this...........m"

Hi, Cantxsailor. I seem to have this problem - when the sail was taken down last fall - in haste prior to a coming storm - no messenger line was attached. Do you have any suggestions??? Since you said NEARLY impossible, I am in hopes there is some magical way, short of being hoisted up the mast in a bosun's chair!

Matsu
Matsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cdi, Genoa, rigging, roller furling