Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2023, 17:01   #1

Boat: Hunter Passage CC 42
ProFurl all fouled up

Unfortunately not getting much help from my rigger, who recently installed a used ProFurl C430.

After installation there was no opportunity to do a sea trial. Little did I know (until now) that the drum was installed upside down and the two clamps that hold the stainless drum cage were loose (one fell on the deck). At least I believe it was installed upside down, because ProFurl's instructions say that the bitter end should be installed in the upper portion of the drum. My drum has only one entry point for the sheet/line and it was in the lower portion of the assembly as installed.

Problem: sailed A-OK with headsail out. Approaching destination attempted to furl in the headsail, but unfortunately the furling sheet/line had somehow become jammed in the drum. (I later read that it's important to have some tension on the sheet when letting out the sail. Didn't do that.) So here I was, with a good wind blowing the sail to and fro over the deck, struggling to get it under control. I eventually was able to furl the sail by hand, twisting on the foil, while the line coiled into the drum, making an even greater mess.

I've since managed to remove the line off the drum, but am left with a puzzle: how to get line onto the drum while still attached to the rest of the furling system. The headsail is presently furled and the drum is empty.

I imagine that the fix will involve going topside and detaching the entire forestay, something I am not qualified to do. Is there another way?

Thank you all for any suggestions!
K1MGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2023, 18:02   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: ProFurl all fouled up

At a calm moment drop the sail and disconnect from drum. Wind the furling line back on to the drum in the correct direction. Re-hoist sail.

Done.

Jim
Old 16-09-2023, 18:28   #3

That's a perfect option! Never occurred to this novice!

Thank you so much!

/m
Old 16-09-2023, 21:07   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

I'm confused what the problem is (other than the drum installed upside down): The drum SHOULD be empty when the headsail is fully furled (plus a few extra turns to wrap the sheets around the furled sail).
When you unfurl the sail it'll spool line onto the drum.
You should be able to simply poke the furling line through the hole and tie a stopper knot.
Make sure the furling line leads onto the drum well (doesn't pile line up on one side of the drum or the other) and yes, keep a light tension on the furling line when you unfurl the sail.
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2023, 22:30   #5
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

You do not have to remove the sail - Loosen any wraps left around the drum - Then here are 4 screws that hold the drum together, unscrew these remove the drum retie and re-insert - Make sure you have a few wraps on there and make sure it is wound in the correct direction.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2023, 09:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamster View Post
I'm confused what the problem is (other than the drum installed upside down): The drum SHOULD be empty when the headsail is fully furled (plus a few extra turns to wrap the sheets around the furled sail).
When you unfurl the sail it'll spool line onto the drum.
You should be able to simply poke the furling line through the hole and tie a stopper knot.
Make sure the furling line leads onto the drum well (doesn't pile line up on one side of the drum or the other) and yes, keep a light tension on the furling line when you unfurl the sail.

Hello. Your question reveals the fact I did not fully explain the circumstances.

I had to cut the sheet/line in order to get the remaining off the drum. Some of it was wound in the opposite direction.. a real mess.

So I am left with an empty drum onto which I must now re-spool.

But someone made a great suggestion about removing the headsail and then spooling the drum.

Ideally, I want as much line on the drum as possible, which will (as I understand it) provide greater leverage (as does a winch). So i need to determine how much to spool onto the drum while the sail is removed.

Might be some trial and error, although there might be some math I can apply, given the line and drum diameters, and total length of my sheet/line?
Old 17-09-2023, 09:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
You do not have to remove the sail - Loosen any wraps left around the drum - Then here are 4 screws that hold the drum together, unscrew these remove the drum retie and re-insert - Make sure you have a few wraps on there and make sure it is wound in the correct direction.
Thank you. Yes, I have already separated the two drum sections, and in fact had to do this in order to remove the stopper knot, which was all that was left of the mess once I cut the jumble free.

I just posed a question: is it possible to calculate the amount of line I should spool onto the drum such that, when the sail unfurls, there is still some left at the cockpit? Given the drum diameter, line diameter and total length, I think it should be possible to approximate...

maybe ??
Old 17-09-2023, 11:13   #8

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1MGY View Post
Thank you. Yes, I have already separated the two drum sections, and in fact had to do this in order to remove the stopper knot, which was all that was left of the mess once I cut the jumble free.

I just posed a question: is it possible to calculate the amount of line I should spool onto the drum such that, when the sail unfurls, there is still some left at the cockpit? Given the drum diameter, line diameter and total length, I think it should be possible to approximate...

maybe ??

Calculation is academic.
The furling line will wear as the sheath will chafe where it exits the drum.
The furling line will need to be turned end for end, usage dependent, every third or fourth year.
You do not want this line to break as it will completely unfurl the sail at a most inconvenient time!

Eventually you will need to shorten the line to remove the chafed area at one end.

An overlong line initially [perhaps +3 or 4 metres] will allow for the shortening to take place subsequently without replacing the entire line.
kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2023, 12:02   #9
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

You can access the manuals online (I knew they are on the Defender website for a furler purchase). You have to pick the smallest diameter double-braid line you can handle and have the right feed angle to the drum. Consider installing a halyard diverter on the mast so you do not end up with a foil wrap.
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2023, 18:52   #10

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1MGY View Post
Unfortunately not getting much help from my rigger, who recently installed a used ProFurl C430.

After installation there was no opportunity to do a sea trial. Little did I know (until now) that the drum was installed upside down and the two clamps that hold the stainless drum cage were loose (one fell on the deck). At least I believe it was installed upside down, because ProFurl's instructions say that the bitter end should be installed in the upper portion of the drum. My drum has only one entry point for the sheet/line and it was in the lower portion of the assembly as installed.

Problem: sailed A-OK with headsail out. Approaching destination attempted to furl in the headsail, but unfortunately the furling sheet/line had somehow become jammed in the drum. (I later read that it's important to have some tension on the sheet when letting out the sail. Didn't do that.) So here I was, with a good wind blowing the sail to and fro over the deck, struggling to get it under control. I eventually was able to furl the sail by hand, twisting on the foil, while the line coiled into the drum, making an even greater mess.

I've since managed to remove the line off the drum, but am left with a puzzle: how to get line onto the drum while still attached to the rest of the furling system. The headsail is presently furled and the drum is empty.

I imagine that the fix will involve going topside and detaching the entire forestay, something I am not qualified to do. Is there another way?

Thank you all for any suggestions!
I made this video a while back explaining the guts of the system and how it all goes together. This should help.
The Yacht Rigger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2023, 06:11   #11

Here are some photographs showing the end result of my work.

Unfortunately, the furler is very close to the deck and the anchor chain. The stainless rings are slightly deformed and on the port side is within 25mm of the chain! Non-optimal. The ring also rubs against the starboard side aft (as can be seen in the photo). Ideally, shortening the sail slightly and raising the entire assembly will fix all that, I think.

Fortunately I was able to secure the drum such that it spools freely. Previously it was rubbing against the rings - adding unwanted friction. Also, the path of the line/sheet was not at all optimal. What I have now is better, but still needs improvement (with new blocks, to be acquired soon).

Indeed, removing the entire headsail was critical in getting this done properly.

I am so grateful for all the helpful comments, and also the video which provided valuable detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230918_124135.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	281241   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230918_124151.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	281242  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230918_124154.jpg