Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2012, 15:30   #16

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers
Re: New dodger....what colour

My boat is white and green.I like green.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 15:50   #17

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

I switched from White to Navy Blue 5 years ago, couldn't be happier.
Old 17-02-2012, 16:34   #18

Boat: Able 50

For reasons that completely elude me, seagulls seem happier pooping on blue canvas than on beige or grey.

I use light grey.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 17:41   #19

Boat: Union Polaris cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
For reasons that completely elude me, seagulls seem happier pooping on blue canvas than on beige or grey.

I use light grey.
Anyone know how they feel about black? And would a rubber snake keep em away?
ovrmyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 07:17   #20

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: New Dodger....What Colour?

Aesthetic and thermal considerations aside I remember reading in the book "Rescue in the Pacific" that one of Search and Rescue's big beefs was that most or all of the boats were colored white, blue and green which blended into the background when trying to see them in a spray covered sea.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 17:37   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds
The most unlucky race car on the track is said to be a green Corvette. Not sure of the origin but first heard this decades ago.

I'm not a believer, and apparently the British aren't either. Considering the use of British Racing Green is widely lauded.
As an interesting aside. The origin of Racing green stem from the 1903 Gordon Bennett road racing which was held in Ireland as at the time closing public roads for road racing was not possible in England. as a tribute to their Irish hosts the British team painted their cars shamrock green. ( the colour has been darkened over the years).

File it under useless but interesting factoids.

Dave
Old 18-02-2012, 18:01   #22

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

Personally, I like white dodgers. They are harder to keep clean, but I wouldn't use Sunbrella anyways, I'd use that reinforced vinyl that they use (can't remember the product name). I had a dodger made with that fabric in white and it worked great. Never got a bird doo-doo either.

Quote:
Aesthetic and thermal considerations aside I remember reading in the book "Rescue in the Pacific" that one of Search and Rescue's big beefs was that most or all of the boats were colored white, blue and green which blended into the background when trying to see them in a spray covered sea.
Small boats are virtually impossible to see in a heavy seas regardless of what color they are. Carry a big radar reflector and a 406 EPIRB if you want to be found by a SAR unit.
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 18:22   #23

Boat: Naval Yachts XPM-78
Send a message via Skype™ to christinekling

I recently redid all my canvas myself - dodger, bimini and mainsail cover with kits from Sailrite. I chose a dark blue Sunbrella called Royal Blue tweed. It might be the same one a previous poster mentioned with a black thread running through it. I really like it. I use an iPad for navigating and the screen is not all that easy to see in bright sunlight, but I've never had a problem under the dark bimini. I never would have been able to use the iPad as I have under my previous white bimini. I "feel" cooler in the darker shade than I did under the glaring white bimini. I don't have any evidence to prove whether I am or not.
christinekling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 18:29   #24

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Only one right answer here.

What does your wife like? That is the color you should get. All other considerations pale next to the benefit of a happy wife who feels she is getting input into boat decisions. There are plenty of decisions where you really will want it your way. If you arent decided on this one, then let her have it her way.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 20:01   #25

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mariner View Post
Never got a bird doo-doo either.
You should bring your boat over to where I keep mine.
I hope you like blackberries.
Old 18-02-2012, 20:11   #26

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
As an interesting aside. The origin of Racing green stem from the 1903 Gordon Bennett road racing which was held in Ireland as at the time closing public roads for road racing was not possible in England. as a tribute to their Irish hosts the British team painted their cars shamrock green. ( the colour has been darkened over the years).

File it under useless but interesting factoids.

Dave
Cool, I knew there had to be an Irish connection to the origin of British Racing Green.

Looks good with a tan or light brown leather interior, too.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 21:30   #27

Boat: PETERSON 44

I never heard that green was cursed. Now Blue has a history of bad omens. The Bulwark or upper rail of a returning ship was to be painted blue if a officer perished while away.
A discerning captain would not paint his bulwarks green less they be mistaken from a widows peak for blue. So perhaps that is where green gets its bad name. Imagine The Miss pineing away on the widows peak and at last afar there is a ship. The bulwarks though are dark perhaps its blue. Lovely and taint as she is she falters having pined and worried she falters in panic and guilt. Either way her footing is lost and she topples off the peak. Sparkling with fresh forest green paint the ship returns and Captain Elizabeth learns of her same sex partners demise. The modern version.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 21:50   #28

Boat: prairie32 cutter

I am a bit late adding my experience to this thread. But just in case your go back and read it again. I have had blue,beige,brown and now green. green by far is the best. Green is a healing color and it decreases the effects, of mal de mar, (seasickness). many older wood boats had a light green color in the interior due to this alleged effect.
I have the forest green with the tweed or black thread in it.

Tags
dodger