Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 16:25   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Masthead layout. Ideal setup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Thanks Wottie, very good suggestions. At the moment I don't have a coax outlet, so that is probably the way to do it. What do you mean by Al p clamp?

Internal wiring will be a problem as the mast doesnt have any wiring conduits, so I'll have to come up with a plan. Not sure I I can run the coax uo the same one as the normal wiring. I've heard stories about vhf and LED interferance.

I like the sound of those LED strobes. Have to visit the local helecopter wreckers and see if I can find an old taillight..
P clamps come in carbon steel, stainless steel, aluminium and plastic versions. I'm suggesting the Al version is best in this instance.
https://images.homedepot-static.com/...95-64_1000.jpg

Two possible sources for strobes. I've used both but all things equal, i would lean towards the Tassie one Hazard Systems | Products
Whelen Engineering Company, Inc.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 22:21   #17

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by old frog View Post
On the anchor light suggestion. There is a school of thought (which I also subscribe to) that one is better off not having the anchor light at mast head, some 50' to 70' in the air. Rather, lower, 10' to 25' above deck and giving some illumination to & reflection off the deck. Your risk of getting hit at anchor is usually from recreational boaters & small commercial craft whose helmsmen and lookouts are closer to the water and looking horizontally, not 60' in the air (the added flashing LED hang up lights are, in IMHO, very effective in drawing attention to an anchored boat). I have seen too many accidents & near misses where an anchor light is not seen as it at mast head &/or blended in with other back ground lights.
I believe the regulations simply state a vessel must show a light when at anchor. Nowhere have I ever read you may not show additional lights. So I have one at the masthead, and another at a lower position. Sometimes I use a Christmas decorative white solar light on a post which I stick in the winch socket.
Usually, those annoying little power boats have quit & gone home long before I'm ready to turn in.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:12   #18

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I'll generally run an anchor light at deck level. But I do really like having a very bright white light at the top of the mast. Not overly fussed on tricolor lights, but a nice LED one may make sense if its not to spendy.

The camera and Nmea cables are good ideas, though they don't really work with my KISS ethos.
Old 06-07-2018, 15:55   #19

May have to stick some sort of token tricolor up incase I ever decide to race. Same with the MH vhf antenna. Any other obscure racing stuff that needs to be complied with?
Old 06-07-2018, 18:26   #20

Quote:
May have to stick some sort of token tricolor up incase I ever decide to race. Same with the MH vhf antenna. Any other obscure racing stuff that needs to be complied with?
Dunno about racing stuff but am I understanding you correctly in that you are only considering a MH VHF antenna to comply with a possible race rule.

I would have thought a MH VHF antenna was a given under almost all circumstances but I would be very happy to hear otherwise.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 06-07-2018, 23:54   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Dunno about racing stuff but am I understanding you correctly in that you are only considering a MH VHF antenna to comply with a possible race rule.

I would have thought a MH VHF antenna was a given under almost all circumstances but I would be very happy to hear otherwise.
I haven't had a masthead VHf on any of my previous boats. The rail mount worked fine for ship-repeater stuff, not so good yacht to yacht, but I am not much of a talker. But I'll put one up there this time, since the mast is out.

One other idea is a cell phone antenna. Not kiss, but pretty handy in lots of places. I got sick of putting my phone in a bag and hauling it up the mast to get coverage..
Old 07-07-2018, 00:38   #22

Interesting, seems like those cell phone antennas are cheap enough, but they typically only have about 5 meters of cable. I wonder how the losses work out, and the ones with fancy boosters seem very expensive. What sort of interference would you get with a MH VhF antenna?
Old 07-07-2018, 00:54   #23

Quote:
Interesting, seems like those cell phone antennas are cheap enough, but they typically only have about 5 meters of cable. I wonder how the losses work out, and the ones with fancy boosters seem very expensive. What sort of interference would you get with a MH VhF antenna?
Well, never say never but I wouldn't expect any interference from the cell booster into the VHF however if there was, then only turn on the cell booster as required and accept degraded VHF for that period.

However, this could be bench (or field) tested before final fitting.

With some clever work, the cell booster might be able to fitted inside the mast a few metres below the mast head OR the cell antenna could be spreader mounted.

All worth considering.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:36   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

A set of three cable ties, oriented at 120 degrees (from each other), and left long (uncut) forms a 3-leg stand off, keeping the cables roughly centered and from slapping the inside of the mast.
Fix the sets (of 3) roughly every 2 - 5 feet up the mast.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:02   #25

^^ A very good idea Gordmay, still haven't really thought about a wiring feed. That would work well if I need to keep them separated. Not sure how it would go with my internal halyards?
Old 07-07-2018, 03:14   #26

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Vendors (LJ, B&G) are moving away from running NMEA2000 cable up the mast, so you don't need to plan for that.

See https://www.panbo.com/new-bg-ws300-w...-cable-needed/
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:11   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
A set of three cable ties, oriented at 120 degrees (from each other), and left long (uncut) forms a 3-leg stand off, keeping the cables roughly centered and from slapping the inside of the mast.
Fix the sets (of 3) roughly every 2 - 5 feet up the mast.
Quote:
^^ A very good idea Gordmay, still haven't really thought about a wiring feed. That would work well if I need to keep them separated. Not sure how it would go with my internal halyards?
I have used this method (I had external halyards) but I never liked the sound the wiring made when it occasionally did slap around inside. Maybe I didn't use enough cable ties but in the end, I fitted a conduit inside the mast. If I was to do it again, I would probably use two conduits.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:12   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The cable tie stand-offs will NOT affect internal halyards.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 09:54   #29

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Well, never say never but I wouldn't expect any interference from the cell booster into the VHF however if there was, then only turn on the cell booster as required and accept degraded VHF for that period.

However, this could be bench (or field) tested before final fitting.

With some clever work, the cell booster might be able to fitted inside the mast a few metres below the mast head OR the cell antenna could be spreader mounted.

All worth considering.

Since the cell phone frequency is over 2Ghz and the VHF is below 200mhz I dont think they would interfere.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 14:34   #30

Quote:
I am amazed there is no smart powered antennas out there than can run the signal up through a small wire instead of a heavy coax.
The wire itself is not heavy. The coax is the diameter it is to allow for proper dielectric and metallic shielding that prevents signal loss and radio frequency interference (RFI)
kmgiunta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, mast