Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2021, 10:53   #1

Boat: Union Polaris cutter 36'
Lifting my engine out with the boom

I've seen a bunch of advice about lifting the engine out using the boom on here. I had it all rigged up yesterday with the main halyard right above the rigging point of the chain fall and winched tight. When I started taking strain the boom came down about 7-8 inches and the engine was just barely getting light. It made me nervous. I suppose there will be some flex in the mast and rigging but it just seemed a bit excessive. Any experience here?
Buzoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 11:00   #2

Re: Lifting my engine out with the boom

Probably halyard stretch. But yeah, made me very nervous the one time I helped a friend try it. The next issue is how do you reach out to the side to put it on a cart or dock? Usually not enough swing length. A lot easier than trying to haul it around even if it was out of the boat... He opted to have a yard lift it out, $150 and they put it right in his pickup truck.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 11:00   #3

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

My guess is halyard stretch. Unless it has a high tech core.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 11:51   #4

I'm on a mooring, gonna do some maintenance right in the cockpit so no swinging! Thanks for the reply!
Old 31-05-2021, 13:23   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzoman View Post
I'm on a mooring, gonna do some maintenance right in the cockpit so no swinging! Thanks for the reply!

You're hardcore man, I love it!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 14:25   #6

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Does anyone have a good source of info on how exactly to rig this sort of lift?

I'd always envisioned lifting with the halyard, running through a block positioned on the boom to set the horizontal position, not lifting with the boom itself. But I've never done it, and would very much like to see some qualified guidance.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 14:44   #7

Boat: Nordic 44

If the weight is to much lighten it. Remove the head, starter, transmission and alternator. You may feel more confident hauling the lighter load.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 14:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post

I'd always envisioned lifting with the halyard, running through a block positioned on the boom to set the horizontal position, not lifting with the boom itself. But I've never done it, and would very much like to see some qualified guidance.

I suspect a lot depends on what type of vessel, what is boom construction/age/condition and weight of engine.

I've done this (sweating bullets) on a removal of a old Volvo TMD-30 engine and putting in a new Yanmar 4JH4-HTE ... swung deck to dock using aluminium boom/ aluminium mast, had hydraulic boom vang.... halyards to boom to help support..

It was a stressful experience.. but.. it worked... and boom still functions..
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 15:08   #9

Boat: 12m aluminium centreboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post

That's more or less how I've done it. Twice. No problems.

Once the motor was clear of the hatch I was able to swing the boom out to the side and then gradually ease the halyard while pulling the motor sideways with a chain block having, by then, released the halyard from the cheek block that located it on the boom.

Hope that makes sense.
adjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 15:33   #10

Boat: Leopard 48' Cat

I have removed a 1100lb perkins 6 cylinder by blocking up the boom forward of the hatch and the end of the boom, so they unsupported span of the boom was held to a minimum.Then used chain lift to boom. After the engine cleared the hatch I placed 2x 12 downs released the engine from the lift and slid the engine to the stern end and then used 2x 12 to slide it on to a cart on the dock and rolled it a lift and onto a truck. We had 4 very strong men to help. Good luck. It wasn't easy
Starblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 15:47   #11

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I have done it on several occasions, without help, with my old 425 lbs Sabb engine, and in the next month or so will do it with the new engine. It sounds like you were doing it right. I use a strap around the boom with a 4-part tackle with cam cleat (as small cats use for their main sheet). The main halyard should also be attached at the same place on the boom. With the tackle tensioned use the halyard winch to lift the engine up a little, then use the block and tackle to maneuver the engine. The stretch on the halyard is not an issue, and 425 lbs is a small fraction of the halyard strength, so that is not a worry. The important point is that the boom does not bend, which is why it is important to lift the engine with the halyard first, and never load up the topping lift at the end of the boom. I do not consider this a fun job - a little scary to have so much weight dangling above the hull - but it does work and is a lot cheaper than having a yard pull the engine. Lifting the engine out of the cockpit afterwards is very easy with a crane or travel lift. I hope this helps.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 16:26   #12

Boat: Columbia 9.6 meter

Interesting to read about the technique used by others.
Yes, I agree to use the halyard to a lashing around the boom, the lashing so positioned that it is above the point on cockpit floor where you’ll set the engine.
Then, on the bottom of the same lashing, I hook a chain fall.
Then, using the halyard winch, raise the boom without the engine load, so the chain fall is high enough for engine to pass below it into the cockpit.
Cleat the halyard securely.
Use the chain fall to raise the engine, and if necessary, use a come along rigged so as to pull the engine aft as it is taken over and into the cockpit.
If the boat has a bridge deck, you can temporarily block the engine on the bridge deck and re-rig there.
To swing over the rail, unhook the engine, and swing the boom over to check for reach. Bring the boom back in to center and then reposition the lashing so it will reach the drop point.
Reconnect the main halyard to lashing, and chain fall to lashing.
Raise the engine, being careful to control any lateral swing as it re-centers under the chain fall.
I found on one occasion that the angle of halyard to boom was such that the resultant force was trying to slide the lashing back towards the mast, so I ran another lashing out to a convenient clear near the end of the boom, and stopped that sliding in that manner.
In some instances on old boats, there may be a question of the integrity of the halyard.
In one instance, I sewed a better line to the halyard and reefed it into the masthead blocks using the halyard as a messenger line.
BTW, I NEVER use the halyard end fittings to rig this operation.
Tie good bowlines and allow that the line is probably 3 or 4 times capacity of the load, so the 1/2 rule on knots is not to worry. Think all that through.
Keep a tag line on the load, and communicate all steps between yourself and your helper, and always be prepared to set it down.
Don’t go gymnastic with this, and you’re not likely to do much damage.
Always check and double check, and don’t hesitate to stop to check again. Often, you’ll see a better setting, and so change to improve the action.
Hoist Aweigh, Matey
PM
Ninedotsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 16:28   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

I have done exactly what you are doing. Just moving the engine. I have a Yanmar 4jh5e that weighs 230kg. On lifting I too had a lot of halyard stretch. When lifting back into place I put a prop of timber under the boom to the deck on a larger piece of timber to make a larger footprint to spread the load on the cockpit deck. I made sure the halyard was also taking weight. This made me much happier as we had way more control to line up the coupling splines.
philcun50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 17:10   #14

Thanks everyone! I got it! I lifted it out with a chain fall directly below the halyard, pulled it forward of the opening with a line around the base of the mast step, lifted it clear of the companionable, slacked the forward line then hooked a block and tackle to the end of the boom below the topping lift and set I in the cockpit using the chain fall and block and tackle. I did it by myself on a mooring! Nothing broke. I'm removing the Trans for rebuild or replace and cleaning up the engine and replacing injectors right where she sits! I'd post a photo but not sure how to attach it here! I'm more mechanical than tech!
Old 31-05-2021, 19:45   #15

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

taking down 2 engines in the morning, will lift them in from the trailer to the engines bays using the boom. Will take some pics
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, lift