Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 20:21   #16

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Lifeline Netting

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I think another problem I had was that I started with the bow, which has an angled stanchion. I am going to try the other side of the boat starting from the aft stanchion which is vertical and should provide a better starting point.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 12:21   #17

Finally ended up purchasing a hot knife from Lowe's for about $30, compared to the hot knife Sailrite sells on their website for over $100. Installation took a few days because I had to go back and start over after a few mistakes were made. A project I am happy to be done with.

Old 21-09-2014, 19:10   #18

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

If you have a commercial fishing supplier or net loft nearby, ask them for net mending twine and a mending needle - something around 4" stretched mesh would work. Then tie each mesh of your webbing to the life line and whatever deck level line or system you use with rolling hitches - net mending style. Once you get used to measuring the proper diamond weave distance of each mesh you can fly along the life line tying it all together. It's a lot of fun once you get the hang of it.

Also, buy the webbing from a net loft, not west marine- you will get really durable webbing and not have to worry about poorly made mesh unraveling. There is no reason for webbing to unravel or to melt end together, when cut, if made properly!

Two or three internet connections on the west coast are:

fisheries Supply seattle

LFS (lummi fisheries supply) Bellingham

And maybe Redden Net is still in business.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 09:49   #19

Boat: '83 Endeavour 40

Good looking boat, Ddabs.

I like the canvas on the stern, also. This netting/canvas combo is something we are considering. Did you sew the canvas yourself? I am curious, because I would probably attempt to sew ours myself, and it seems pretty straight-forward (depending on your stern set-up) Any tips/pointers for the canvas? What did you use to attach it to the lifelines?
Old 22-09-2014, 12:43   #20

Thanks Liunatic!

The canvas is just a piece of Sunbrella that I measured and had cut by a sail company in town. I subtracted about an inch from the measured sides so it didn't come close to overlapping the area I wanted covered. You could easily sew it yourself I would think. I do not know how to sew and I had grommets put in the edge of the canvas. It is attached to the lifelines and stanchions with small line and knotted.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-04-2022, 10:14   #21

Boat: 1983 34' Irwin Citation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
We used fishing netting. It lasts for a long time. The arrangement must be as diamonds, not squares, ie x not +. This way you can use the poisson's ratio to stretch it to the right height. We ran a thicker line along the base of the net, and fixed it with plastic cable ties through the toerail holes. At the top, we threaded an equivalent line to the net in a spiral round and round the top lifeline, creating another half-diamond. You lash the top and bottom for a couple of feet, then pull horizontally to tension it, clamp and catch up, repeat.
How did the cable ties hold up under the sun? Would you do anything differently in hindsight?

Thanks for the tips.
patagoniadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:08   #22

As an alternative to netting, I have found that as to aiding assuring people or pets stay aboard and don't inadvertently slip through the lifelines that replacing the lifelines with closely spaced strands of barbed wire works well as the barbs snag most anything that tries to slide through, and they also help keep the "rail meat" / crew ballast from slipping when healed hard over [that be a racer's secret].

Galvanized barbed wire works well for many seasons, albeit over time they it will tend to develop an attractive rusty hue.

Continue to follow me for more nautical rigging suggestions.

All the best.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	barbed-wire-fence.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	255516  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:20   #23

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
As an alternative to netting, I have found that as to aiding assuring people or pets stay aboard and don't inadvertently slip through the lifelines that replacing the lifelines with closely spaced strands of barbed wire works well as the barbs snag most anything that tries to slide through, and they also help keep the "rail meat" / crew ballast from slipping when healed hard over [that be a racer's secret].

Galvanized barbed wire works well for many seasons, albeit over time they it will tend to develop an attractive rusty hue.

Continue to follow me for more nautical rigging suggestions.

All the best.

Uh, April 1st was a few days ago...
Old 05-04-2022, 12:52   #24

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Montanan, I asked my rigger about this idea.
He asked, “wire you doing this?”
I said,”to keep people inside the boat.”
He said, “there’s no reason for a peephole inside a boat.”
I said, “ it is so the crew can see the sea and stay on board.”
He said he was getting bored and didn’t want to get fenced in by this discussion.
He still stuck me with a bill for his time. Ouch!
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 14:40   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Uh, April 1st was a few days ago...
Sorry for my delayed reply posting. April 1st is our wedding anniversary, [going on 33 joyful years ] so The Admiral and I took the day off from reviewing CruiserForum.

An anniversary date one does not fail to remember.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sailing inside the boat.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	255523   Click image for larger version

Name:	sailing mob.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	255524  

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote