Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2008, 11:53   #1

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar Sailmaster 50
Hood Stowaway furling problems

I have a 1983 Gulfstar Sailmaster 50. I am currently anchored in Ziahautejo Mexico. My Hood electric stowaway furler is not working in one direction. I have established that the motor is ok by switching the wires at the base of the mast. I can make the motor go in both directions. I have also established that the toggle switch in the cocpit is working normaly.
Under my galley sink I have located the control box and opened it. everything inside looks ok. There are four solinoids and a circuit board, a relay and a fuse in the box.
Does anyone out ther have a service manual, wireing diagram or troubleshooting guide for this system? Hood yacht systems is still in business, but I haven't been able to get ahold of them.
Niki Wiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 14:00   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Relay

It sounds like you have an electric motor controlled by a relay.

When I installed my Arco windlass I brought a relay from them so it could be reversed. The wiring looks tricky but I carefully labeled both ends of all wires and it worked.

Best is to get the right part from Hood. Other manufacturers may have something suitable.

Depending on the power you might be able to use this or something similar.

If you do go this way be very careful as there may be circuit breakers in your current system that prevent the motor from overpowering the furling mechanism, the wiring might be overloaded et cetera.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 14:46   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I'll bet it's just one of the solenoids not contacting properly. Any auto mechanic would be able to troubleshoot the reversing set up. Windlass motors also use the same set up. You could probably find one in a marine supply.

e.g. West Marine: Continuous Duty SPST Solenoid 12V, 85A, Grounded Product Display

Old 18-01-2008, 15:31   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Hood is part of Pompanette and they are alive and well.Pompanette LLC.
Old 23-01-2008, 10:43   #5

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar Sailmaster 50
Hood stowaway furling problems

Thanks to all who replied to my thread. I have received a email from Hood telling me that that they no longer service the Stowaway systems. They have refered me to Eric Pearson in Rhode Island. 401-423-1568 he has taken over for Hood on their "legacy" systems.
Meanwhile I have inlisted help from Dave on Baraka (a Slocum 42 out of Seattle). Dave is a retired electrical engineer. We have traced the problem to the circuit board that controls the motor overload alarm. I have bypassed the circuit board and have run a wire straight from the cockpit toggle to the non functioning solinoids that countrol the furler in the out mode.
The furler now works in both directions, but I will have to be extra carefull in the out mode. I will no longer have an alarm buzzer to warm me of a motor overload when I am letting the main out. I will try to get a new circuit board from Eric Pearson when I am in Puerto Vallarta for hurricane season.
Jonesy Morris
S/V Niki Wiki
Gulfstar Sailmaster 50
anchored in Ziahautenejo, Mexico
Niki Wiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 12:44   #6

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki Wiki View Post
. I will try to get a new circuit board from Eric Pearson when I am in Puerto Vallarta for hurricane season.
Jonesy Morris
S/V Niki Wiki
Gulfstar Sailmaster 50
anchored in Ziahautenejo, Mexico
Even if it is the board, it may only be a cracked/loose solder joint.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 03:59   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You might also consider installing a (thermal) motor overload relay.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, hood