Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2018, 13:10   #1

Boat: 1975 Isander 28
Help with halyard wrap

I have a new to me 1975 Islander 28 (standard rig). I have never owned a rolling furler but this boat has a continuous loop type furler. I can tell it has had ongoing halyard wrap even with little or no load on the sail. Rope halyard frayed almost all the way through. The upper swivel seems OK, the problem appears to be an extra extra long distance between the mast head and the upper swivel => low halyard angle.

It seems like a halyard restrainer is in order, but what I would really like is a lower pennant for better visibility. I tried to do this at the jib tack, but the foil does not go further up. I guess to make this happen I would need to re-jigger my headstay, or can I somehow move the foil up?

Otherwise how do I install a halyard restrainer while dangling from the mast? Where do I place it exactly, what do I mount it with, and what type restrainer is recommended? I already read Toss...
skkeith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard