Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2023, 03:42   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Halyard Wrap

Over the past four weeks I have been experiencing problems with furling the head sail due to halyard wraps.

Bit of backgound info.
When I purchased the boat in 2009, the head sail foil was fitted with a deflector, which on inspection was pretty much chewed up, so I replaced it with divertor, which I thought was in a good position to achieve a good angle between the foil and the halyard. Harken recommend an angle of beween 7 and 10 degrees, but I have seen mention of angles between 10 and 15 degree's.

On the first occasion when the wrap occured, I managed to clear it by quickly releasing the furling line and then hauling in again, and that worked.
At the first opportunity, I dropped head sail to check the upper swivel, and it appeared fine, rotated very freely, but I took the opportunity to flush the swivel with hot water.

However, subsequently, I'm still getting issues with wraps. Have tried altering the halyard tension, increasing or decreasing tension seems to have no effect.

The furling system is a Facnor SD, probably dating from the 1990's, and has been on the boat for 22 years.

Is it possible that while the swivel seems to work fine, it might be binding when under tension, or, do I need to try and increase the angle between the foil and the halyard.

I'm going to experiment by fitting a short soft shackle between the lower furler drum and the sail tack, which will raise the upper swivel and increase the halyard angle. If that works, will then switch the soft shackle to go between the head of the sail and the upper swivel.

These upper swivels are no longer available, and I'm kind of reluctant to fix the problem with a new furling system as I recently blew the boat budget with replacing the worn out teak deck with Tec Dec and fitting a bow sprit and purchasing a gennaker.

The picture shows the current angle between halyard and foil, and have attached a drawing of the upper swivel.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cropped.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	281395

Facnor Swivel.pdf
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2023, 04:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Halyard Wrap

Facnor ‘FD’ Range:
Installation Manual [English begins on Pg 11] ➥ https://www.facnor.com/ftpfacnor/Not...NT_GammeSD.pdf
Genoa Luff Diagramhttps://www.facnor.com/ftpfacnor/Not...LgGuindant.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2023, 04:17   #3

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

As usual gord has nailed it ,as instructions say fit a short strop from the top of the sail to raise the swivel closer to the top of the foil ,or as you say a strop at the bottom to raise the entire sail .⚓️⛵️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2023, 04:45   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for the replies, just seems odd that this has worked without problem for the past 13 years, and only just recently has become an issue.
Old 24-09-2023, 13:41   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I suspect that the bearings in the swivel have died. Try lowering the sail, detach the head from the swivel and put a strop between the bottome of the swivel to a hard point and load up the halyard... and then try turning the swivel. I suspect that you will find lots of friction.

I had a similar (smaller) Facnor which failed in exactly this fashion (which proves nothing about yours but is suggestive).

Jim
Old 24-09-2023, 14:13   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Was suspecting this myself Jim, will try your suggestion.

I dont think there are any replacements for the bearing races, but the balls csn be replaced, either in stainless steel or Delrin, might be worth a go if the bearings are shot.
Old 24-09-2023, 14:40   #7

Boat: Morgan 382

Regardless of the condition of the bearings(which might be why it worked before and not now) There seems to be a long length of halyard between the head of the sail and the sheave.

I would add a pendent at the top of the sail to raise the swivel. You could probably get rid of the diverter, have the same angle, and half the halyard. Or you could add the pendent at the bottom of the sail (Not pendent but I forget the proper term) if the sail currently chafes at all on the pushpit or lifelines.
Old 24-09-2023, 15:41   #8

Boat: Stuart 47

Just a quick point to check, raising the foot alters the sheet angle. You may not have sufficient length of traveller to change the sheet angle, (ie; move the car aft) therefore the "strop at the top" may be the better solution.
Toccata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2023, 16:33   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
Just a quick point to check, raising the foot alters the sheet angle. You may not have sufficient length of traveller to change the sheet angle, (ie; move the car aft) therefore the "strop at the top" may be the better solution.
The idea of raising the foot was to see if that would stop the halyard wrap. If it does, then I will remove the strop from the tack and put at the head of the sail.
Just a means of testing a solution without the need to drop the sail unnecessarily.
Old 24-09-2023, 20:52   #10

Community Sponsor

My guess is this is very likely a bearing failure. Double check on that headstay wire and fittings too, I'd be terrified to be out sailing with a 22yo headstay.
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 00:40   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yacht Rigger View Post
My guess is this is very likely a bearing failure. Double check on that headstay wire and fittings too, I'd be terrified to be out sailing with a 22yo headstay.

Standing rigging is 10 years old and gets a thorough inspection every two years.
Im going to test the swivel at deck level under tension. If it sticks, will remove the top cap and flush the bearings with boiling water, and then apply some graphite lubricant.
If that does not fix the issue, I can remove the circlips and bearings without having to drop the forestay, clean the bearing races and replace the balls (I know they are 5mm and 42 balls to each bearing), and if that does no fix the problem, its going to have to be a new furling system
Old 25-09-2023, 00:48   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Facnor “FD” Assembled Swivel Bearing Set #14098160000
https://www.facnor.com/product/beari...ab_description

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 08:24   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Happy to say that the problem with the halyard wrap has now been resolved.

There were two issues, one of which I was entirely responsible for.
Had recently replaced the genoa halyard, and while the upper swivel was at deck level, I did the usual maintenance of pouring very hot water mixed with some detergent through the bearings to wash out any dirt. These older Facnor upper swivels have no seals fitted and the bearings are very much exposed to the outside elements.

With the halyard replaced, the sail was fully hoisted and furled.

However, since the halyard replacement, I don't think I had the genoa fully unfurled, wind conditions were pretty much over 20 knots, or if not, forecast for over 20 knots, and having the dog onboard, was trying to keep the boat on her feet.

Yesterday, was back at the boat and decided to tackle the upper swivel. Unfurled the sail, and it was immediatley apparent that it was no longer at full hoist, I can only surmise that the new halyard had stretched a bit, so that was the first issue.

The swivel turned free enough with no load, but I then secured the upper swivel to the lower drum, tensioned the halyard and then turned the swivel. Although it did rotate, there was some resistance.

Again applied a few more kettle loads of boiling water mixed with detergent and flushed with clean water. Once the swivel had dried out, applied some dry graphite lube.
Tested the swivel under load, and it was now turning freely.
Put the sail back on the foil but this time with a very short soft shackle between head of sail and swivel, which had the effect of raising the swivel by a couple of inches.

Hoisted sail, making sure it was at full hoist with some tension on the tack shackle.

Furled the sail, no problems. Unfurled and furled half a dozen times, all good.

The upper swivel is now at the same height as the staysail swivel.
Old 03-10-2023, 14:47   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Good on ya, Nigel.

Ann
Old 06-10-2023, 08:10   #15

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

I am curious if the stainless races that the ball bearings run in are available?
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard