We have an old style Furlex on our genoa
. The manual says to grease it with their proprietary grease as noted above, but it fails to indicate how much to use. So, for years I was under lubing my unit, and eventually it began to seize up. First I squirted heaps of degreaser through the bearings, making a great mess on the deck
. I then put a Zerk fitting into the access hole for the internal main bearing and forced a LOT of generic marine
grease into it. Voila! it worked again! A couple of years later I had the mast
out for some rehab and a local rigger helped by disassembling the lower unit. We found a lot of non-spherical s/s balls in the races. Replacing these made it even better!
All in all, I think that it is a lousy design, but then, this one is 23 years old and has done over 100K miles, so I guess I should just shut up and maintain it!