Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2016, 17:05   #46

Boat: corbin39
Re: Genny luff tension ?

Sorry didn't notice you were from Canada
B-Baysailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:54   #47

I noticed by just looking at the black luff line on the sail that there isn't enough tension on the sail. The highest part of the camber is too far back to suggest any real pressure. So, either the halyard is somehow jamming or the luff line has been improperly installed (as mentioned in earlier responses.

Also, as a caution, your "bar tight" halyard tension might be a bit enthusiastic. Most of the time, when everything is working properly, halyard tension should be first set to just iron out the wrinkles on the luff and to move the sail's camber slightly forward of centre. minor adjustments can be made after that to help tweak whatever you need for your particular boat. And yeah, your fairlead appears to be in more of a downwind position.

Let us know what you're able to find out.

Cheers
SeaBreeze 1
SeaBreeze-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:32   #48

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

How are you getting a length of 140'-150' for your halyards? As even with a tall rig, your hoist is 47'. So 50' x2, plus 15' from the spar base to the winches, & 5' for the splice = 120' per halyard. Non? Which actually gives you some extra.

And when I looked up line prices at Defender, the MLX equilavent as per recommended by Samson Rope is 11mm (7/16"). Which is the same price as 3/8" Warpspeed, at $2.29/ft
So the math fully makes sense. I wasn't aware of the large price differences for your locale however.

Since you're more desirous of good shape in the new jib, then just do that halyard now. And leave the main halyard alone until next season... after things have thawed out.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 13:21   #49
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

'
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
How are you getting a length of 140'-150' for your halyards? As even with a tall rig, your hoist is 47'. So 50' x2, plus 15' from the spar base to the winches, & 5' for the splice = 120' per halyard. Non? Which actually gives you some extra.
Caught me with my pants down ... not a pretty sight
I was doing a rough estimate of 50 ft up, 50 ft down, 20 ft to the cockpit and another 20 ft for good measure and me screwing up stuff
Yeah, I could do one halyard at a time or I could buy a 500 ft roll and get a good discount.
It's going to take a bit of time yet to decide what I want to do.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 22:49   #50

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

Yep, not enough luff tension. A simple way to tension the luff is to take 4 turns or so of spectra cord through the tack fitting on the sail and the shackle on the furler. Tighten that so there are no wrinkles in the luff upwind in medium air. If the luff is inverted (has an "S" shape near the luff) then ease the luff tension.
I really suggest that you get rid of the line at the bottom of the luff and tack the sail directly to the furler. The sail does not look like a heavy weather sail so that you won't be getting green water over the bow. Also, when you are healed upwind I doubt you will see much below the foot of the sail. Lowering the tack would give you enough hoist to properly adjust the luff tension.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote