Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2017, 07:58   #46
cruiser

Re: Furling Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Because West Marina is in Ammurrica, and my boat is in Finland
DHL shipping
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 08:00   #47

Uhhhh,.... just go with 10 mm line that is easy on the hands if your furler is spec'd for 10mm.. KISS

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 08:01   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
DHL shipping
Which would cost more than the rope!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 08:50   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
On my 37' Dickerson I took the old 3/8" double braid and kept about 25' of it. Used what I cut off for new dinghy painter.

I spliced in ~30' of new 3/16" Dyneema that fills the drum.

Works great, cheap and the original double braid is easy on your hands.

I used this video on how to do the splice

Brilliant; thanks!
Old 23-06-2017, 09:04   #50

Boat: a sailing boat

I have seen it done both ways. But you can only strip the jacket when the core itself is braided. Stripping the core works every time.

We have 6mm furling line in our 250 ft sq sail but I am redoing it this summer for 8 mm stripped. Maybe 10mm if I find a very pliable line.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 09:08   #51
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
On my 37' Dickerson I took the old 3/8" double braid and kept about 25' of it. Used what I cut off for new dinghy painter.

I spliced in ~30' of new 3/16" Dyneema that fills the drum.

Works great, cheap and the original double braid is easy on your hands.

I used this video on how to do the splice

Almost exactly what I did by guesswork but siezed the cover rather than bury it, good idea to bury, ta for the link.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 09:11   #52

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

It's pretty easy with the above video. Had to pause a few times, they are faster at it than I am lol.

I was buying 100' hanks of 3/16" dyneema on ebay for $50 delivered. Been using it for lots of stuff.

I even made up some racing spin sheets same way but for that I bought new double braid as I found old double braid a bit harder to splice.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 09:50   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I have seen it done both ways. But you can only strip the jacket when the core itself is braided. Stripping the core works every time.

We have 6mm furling line in our 250 ft sq sail but I am redoing it this summer for 8 mm stripped. Maybe 10mm if I find a very pliable line.

b.
With Dyneema, you don't strip the core!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 26-06-2017, 06:35   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I received 43 meters of 12mm Gleistein racing dyneema for my new main sheet, and I'm so pleased with it, it's such an awesome piece of rope for ridiculously little money (2.50 per meter), that I've decided to buy some more and strip the cover off the last 6 or 7 meters of it, and use that for the furling line.

I didn't immediately want to do this because I didn't like the idea of the Dyneema core being exposed to chafe and the sun, but the strength is such massive overkill for this use that I'm thinking that some degradation from UV light will be harmless.

It's cheaper than any 10mm double braid I've been able to find.

I'll report on how it works out.
Old 26-06-2017, 06:56   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
How much pressure do you put on these? You furl with the sail blanketed, true? I never use a winch at all below 30 knots, so perhaps 40 pounds (400 square foot sail). I use no-core 8mm. The WLL of 12 mm line with no core is probably over 1000 pounds (BS 5000 pounds, core only). If you are breaking the line, I wonder if you are at grave risk of twisting the foil?

Or perhaps the line is question was either chafed (common due to bad alignment) or really old.

Assuming the sails are 2-3 times the area (square of boat length), something isn't adding up. Now, if I tried to furl with wind in the sail, it would be a loud battle.
I don't know - the line was new, no chafe points that I'm aware of, normal furling in heavy seas, 25+ knots of wind. Furling line was wrapped around the winch for control; was not using any winch to furl the sail. The line might have been a size smaller (seems every line on the boat was downsized). I don't know the SWL of line/core. When it parted, I flew across the cockpit into the stbd winch -- not fun.

What probably happened was while furling a large wave knocked the boat sideways putting a lot more pressure on the rig than normal. I could easily see more than 1000lbs placed on the line, far in excess of what one might put on a typical furling line when furling normally.

Based on my experience, I still wouldn't remove the core.
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling