Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 05:47   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Boom Gallows vs Topping Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
If Zee had changed one word from “will” to “may”, would that have been more acceptable?..

If it did fail, “Murphy’s Law” dictates it probably would happen in a Gale.
Then an integral boom gallows would be most appreciated.

One other consideration for someone with very long and heavy booms is that if it is resting on a low support above the Bimini, instead of hanging from a block at mast head…. The Center of Gravity of that weight, is considerably lower.

Not a big deal, but not to be dismissed if you can change it in an attractive and multifunctional way.
a. Yes.

b. No, I don't accept that as axiomatic. Murphy's law is not random or I would stay ashore. I'm assuming, of course, that the sailor does manitanace and that the toping lift is of similar strength to the halyard. Some folks use puny lifts, and in this day of high modulus line, that's silly. A cruiser should agree that the topping lift should be available has a spare halyard.

c. No. Ask an engineer and they will assure you that the points of suport make no difference at all, only the resultant possition. In fact, the weight of the gallows (above the center of gravity) actually slightly reduces stability.

---

I should add, I suspose, that I have a hard top, and if the TL let go the boom would fal 6 inches. But the lack of hard top wouldn't change my mind.

Also, the notion that a gallows makes reefing easier is a matter of method. I'll bet I can secure my boom more quickly and--this is important--in more possitions than any gallows. Solid? My kids sleep on the sail sometimes and everyone uses the secured boom as a hand hold.

Perhaps I should re-emphisize that I do not simply tighten the mainsheet, I attach another job-specific line to creat triangulation, just as the OP suggested. With only the mainsheet, you're right, it dances around. But I didn't suggest that.
Old 14-02-2014, 00:29   #17

Boat: kuiper 32

I wouldnt bother with boom gallows they are just more junk in your cockpit unless you have a second use for them ie dodger support.You mentioned putting the boom in the gallows so you could rig up a trisail,imhotrisails are a pain in the butt when you need them its too rough to hoist them its much safer and easier to get a fourth reef sewn into your mainsail and use that.
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 20:40   #18

Boat: Cape Dory 30K

I picked up a nice bronze set of boom gallows and am thinking of installing them on my Cape Dory 30k. I have looked all over the net but cant find any pictures of anyone doing this before though.
Tim_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 21:02   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I'd have both if possible. You really need to get the boom out of the gallows for raising the sail. You can manhandle over the side let it rest on the life lines or wherever but way easier to just raise it with a topping lift.

Current boat has no gallows but soft vangs permanently rigged to the deck on each side. They do a great job of stabilizing the boom though not quite as secure as a gallows. The topping lift is a dyneema line fixed at the mast head with a small fiddle block with jam cleat at the end. Three part tackle gives plenty of oomph to lift the boom. Doesn't require a halyard or running all the way back down to the mast base to adjust.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 19:24   #20

Boat: Hudson 50

Speaking of boom gallows... I'm thinking of adding a couple to my Hudson 50 ketch. Does anyone have any pictures or designs to share?
Oceandeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift